PSP jpg problem: Won't come up when double-clicked on in Windows Explorer

PSP jpg problem: Won't come up when double-clicked on in Windows Explorer

Post by mr_bon » Mon, 10 Sep 2001 22:27:02

Hello. I was wondering if any Paintshop Pro vets had any tips
regarding
the problem I'm suddenly having with my PSP images since having my
hard drive replaced. Now when I go to Windows Explorer and click on
any of my old PSP created pictures, I get an error box saying that
they can't be opened (or even found). BUT, when I'm IN the PSP
program, the "open" file and "browse" functions both successfully open
any PSP
image I want. Right now, I'm using an older version of PSP that I
bought a couple years ago, and it always worked like a charm before
the hard drive replacement.  I take tons of pictures and adjust them
with PSP frequently, but I need to be able to open the jpg's using
the Windows 98 "Start/Find/Files or Folders" method, like I used to.

I'm sure that the problem is how Windows 98 associates jpg's with
the program somehow. Because by default, my system had jpg's
associated with the Microsoft Explorer browser, which I didn't want.
I then (correctly?) adjusted Windows Explorer to open all jpg's
stricly with Paintshop Pro. But it's still not working, and the
Windows "help" files don't cover this kind of problem.

Any ideas?  Opening several PSP images one at a time takes too
long, and I would just like to be able to click on a jpg's name
and have the PSP program automatically open, just like it used
to before I replaced my hard drive.

Thanks!

MB

PSP jpg problem: Won't come up when double-clicked on in Windows Explorer

Post by baseball.. » Mon, 10 Sep 2001 22:36:40

Quote:>Hello. I was wondering if any Paintshop Pro vets had any tips
>regarding
>the problem I'm suddenly having with my PSP images since having my
>hard drive replaced. Now when I go to Windows Explorer and click on
>any of my old PSP created pictures, I get an error box saying that
>they can't be opened (or even found). BUT, when I'm IN the PSP
>program, the "open" file and "browse" functions both successfully open
>any PSPimage I want. Right now

[...]

Have you tried holding down the Shift key when you RIGHT-click on a
filename? That gives you the option "Open With". That will let you
browse through your folders until you find the application you want
(psp.exe, I believe). Check the box saying "always use this
application". That should reassociate your graphics files with PSP.
You will need to do this for every different type that you want PSP to
open.
co

PSP jpg problem: Won't come up when double-clicked on in Windows Explorer

Post by JoAn » Mon, 10 Sep 2001 22:51:04

From My Computer, or Windows Explorer, hold the shift key down and RIGHT
click on the image file you want to associate with PSP.  From the
pop-up, select "Open with...", then scroll down the list in the next
window and select PSP.  (If PSP is not on the list, use the "Other"
button to find it.)  Also, be sure to put a checkmark in the "Always use
this program...." box.  You don't need to do this for every image file
you have, just every file format...jpg, psp, gif, etc.

Jo

Post by odysse » Mon, 10 Sep 2001 23:49:44

: Have you tried holding down the Shift key when you RIGHT-click on a
: filename? That gives you the option "Open With". That will let you
: browse through your folders until you find the application you want
: (psp.exe, I believe). Check the box saying "always use this
: application". That should reassociate your graphics files with PSP.
: You will need to do this for every different type that you want PSP to
: open.
: co
:

Hi .. someone sent me some people .TIFFs(or. TFFs cant remember) from their
Photo Impact CD .. i needed something for psp and had uninstalled PI awhile
ago . anyway .. my pc was still associating the file with PI so i did the
shift right click thing and changed all of them to associate with PSP,
however they STILL will not open when i click on them so i still have to
open psp manually and browse to them .. i am running 7.02 .. do you have any
idea why they won't open when i click on them now?
Thanks
o.
--
.:~~It is better to be hated for who You are than to be loved for who You
are not~~:.

PSP jpg problem: Won't come up when double-clicked on in Windows Explorer

Post by Rita » Tue, 11 Sep 2001 00:42:09

I had this problem once before also, the only way I found that fixed it was
going into the regedit part and delete the key for that program and do a
repair for psp, and that worked and never had a problem since :-)

--
Love

Rita

---

Post by Kris Zaklik » Tue, 11 Sep 2001 00:31:05

> : Have you tried holding down the Shift key when you RIGHT-click on a
> : filename? That gives you the option "Open With". That will let you
> : browse through your folders until you find the application you want
> : (psp.exe, I believe). Check the box saying "always use this
> : application". That should reassociate your graphics files with PSP.
> : You will need to do this for every different type that you want PSP to
> : open.
> : co
> :

> Hi .. someone sent me some people .TIFFs(or. TFFs cant remember) from their
> Photo Impact CD .. i needed something for psp and had uninstalled PI awhile
> ago . anyway .. my pc was still associating the file with PI so i did the
> shift right click thing and changed all of them to associate with PSP,
> however they STILL will not open when i click on them so i still have to
> open psp manually and browse to them .. i am running 7.02 .. do you have any
> idea why they won't open when i click on them now?

I assume you don't really just want an explanation but a fix
for the problem. In that case, try this. Do File > Preferences >
File Format Associations and uncheck everything in the dialog.
Press OK and exit from PSP. For safety, reboot Windows. Now,
repeat the process, this time checking every format you want
to have associated with PSP. Again press OK, close PSP and
reboot. Do the file associations now work as you want?

Quote:> Thanks
> o.
> --
> .:~~It is better to be hated for who You are than to be loved for who You
> are not~~:.

Kris Zaklika              Jasc Software, Inc.                   The

PSP jpg problem: Won't come up when double-clicked on in Windows Explorer

Post by John C. Danielson, I » Tue, 11 Sep 2001 01:24:18

Odyssey,

Last time I had that problem, and this was with 7.04, I had to also tell PSP
to be the default program for the types I wanted it to open before it would
correctly open files of those types, even through the associations were
fixed. I also had to restart the computer after doing this + saving the
workspace to the workspace file I tell it to AutoOpen, and thereafter all
worked fine.

If anyone wonders, this is on a Windows 98 machine.

--
A reply to:

will definitely get answered, I just changed ISPs so other addresses might
error..

> : Have you tried holding down the Shift key when you RIGHT-click on a
> : filename? That gives you the option "Open With". That will let you
> : browse through your folders until you find the application you want
> : (psp.exe, I believe). Check the box saying "always use this
> : application". That should reassociate your graphics files with PSP.
> : You will need to do this for every different type that you want PSP to
> : open.
> : co
> :

> Hi .. someone sent me some people .TIFFs(or. TFFs cant remember) from
their
> Photo Impact CD .. i needed something for psp and had uninstalled PI
awhile
> ago . anyway .. my pc was still associating the file with PI so i did the
> shift right click thing and changed all of them to associate with PSP,
> however they STILL will not open when i click on them so i still have to
> open psp manually and browse to them .. i am running 7.02 .. do you have
any
> idea why they won't open when i click on them now?
> Thanks
> o.
> --
> .:~~It is better to be hated for who You are than to be loved for who You
> are not~~:.

PSP jpg problem: Won't come up when double-clicked on in Windows Explorer

Post by odysse » Tue, 11 Sep 2001 03:01:28

You know what they say about assuming .. smiles
yes i would like an explanation please if it won't make me look terribly
stupid.

PSP jpg problem: Won't come up when double-clicked on in Windows Explorer

Post by odysse » Tue, 11 Sep 2001 03:01:54

Thanks everyone for Your help.
odyssey

Post by Kris Zaklik » Tue, 11 Sep 2001 05:16:46

> You know what they say about assuming .. smiles
> yes i would like an explanation please if it won't make me look terribly
> stupid.

It's much easier to suggest a fix than to provide an explanation.
I haven't a clue what you did. You problem falls in the category
of things that never happen to me, but then I don't install any
software I absolutely don't need and take some trouble to see
what it does to my registry when I do. As a result, I'm not a
good person to ask about what you might have done. A limp
reply, but the only one I can manage :)

Post by W. Madiso » Tue, 11 Sep 2001 13:09:44

Quote:> Hello. I was wondering if any Paintshop Pro vets had any tips
> regarding
> the problem I'm suddenly having with my PSP images since having my
> hard drive replaced. Now when I go to Windows Explorer and click on
> any of my old PSP created pictures, I get an error box saying that
> they can't be opened (or even found). BUT, when I'm IN the PSP
> program, the "open" file and "browse" functions both successfully open
> any PSP
> image I want. Right now, I'm using an older version of PSP that I
> bought a couple years ago, and it always worked like a charm before
> the hard drive replacement.  I take tons of pictures and adjust them
> with PSP frequently, but I need to be able to open the jpg's using
> the Windows 98 "Start/Find/Files or Folders" method, like I used to.

> I'm sure that the problem is how Windows 98 associates jpg's with
> the program somehow. Because by default, my system had jpg's
> associated with the Microsoft Explorer browser, which I didn't want.
> I then (correctly?) adjusted Windows Explorer to open all jpg's
> stricly with Paintshop Pro. But it's still not working, and the
> Windows "help" files don't cover this kind of problem.

> Any ideas?  Opening several PSP images one at a time takes too
> long, and I would just like to be able to click on a jpg's name
> and have the PSP program automatically open, just like it used
> to before I replaced my hard drive.

> Thanks!

> MB

Mr. Bones,

You say you just had your hard drive replaced, by chance did you back these
files up on a CD-RW before you replaced the HD? I had this problem with mine
after moving them to a new machine, because when I saved the files to the
CD, they were saved as Read Only. I went  through and changed the attributes
on each file by unchecking the Read Only box, they all worked again just
fine. Also, some of my filters for PSP had the same problem until I changed
the file properties.

Just thought I'd *in with this suggestion.:-)

Wendy

1. PSP won't open JPG file from Explore

I just installed an HP digital camera and uploaded all the images to a
folder tonight: C:\My Documents\My Pictures. I clicked on one, PSP
opened and said, "Unable to open file."

Yet, if I copy that file to another folder in C: drive PSP can view.

I double checked File Types and JPG is assigned to PSP. It seems I
remember there's something fishie (other than name) about My Documents
files, but I can't remember what.

Thanks,
Don

2. selling new Adobe Illustrator for MAC

3. Paint Shop doesn′t open the files I double-click in Windows

4. Make a Picture fade effect

5. PSP 5 Problem - won't run properly

6. simple way to detach all poly's on a sphere?

7. Problem opening files with double click on Mac

8. Mpixel and Mtexel.

9. TDrawGrid double click problem

10. PSP won't start in Win XP

11. PSP , Windows Explorer and Thumbnails

12. Open JPG file from Windows Explorer not working