Image Map woes in Moray

Post by Ann » Sun, 03 Sep 2000 04:19:00

Hi All,

There are so many great textures out there but how does one use them in Moray
in such a way that they won't look all pixelly?  I think that .jpg and the like
are used extensively in 3D Max but I can't affort $3500+ !!!!

If anybody knows any secrets, tips, or hints I would appreciate it.

Thanks
Anne

Image Map woes in Moray

Post by Stefan Viljoe » Sun, 03 Sep 2000 06:09:25

Quote:> Hi All,

> There are so many great textures out there but how does one use them in
Moray
> in such a way that they won't look all pixelly?  I think that .jpg and the
like
> are used extensively in 3D Max but I can't affort $3500+ !!!!

> If anybody knows any secrets, tips, or hints I would appreciate it.

Hmm - "pixelly"? What size are your image maps?

Take a look at http://home.intekom.com/rylan/ and go tot the raytracing
page - the "Gazebo" scenes uses an image map for the background texture - I
don't think it looks pixelly - what I did was to simple use a large image
(this one as 800x600) for that image. Less need for Pov to stretch and scale
it, right?

--
Stfan Viljoen a. k. a. Rylan
http://home.intekom.com/rylan/

F/EMS Dispatcher
Potchefstroom Emergency Services
South Africa

"We want you to be soldiers - deadly as long as you still have one arm or
one leg and you are still alive."
 - R. A. H. in "Starship Troopers"

Image Map woes in Moray

Post by Alexander Enzman » Thu, 07 Sep 2000 20:48:05

> Hi All,

> There are so many great textures out there but how does one use them in Moray
> in such a way that they won't look all pixelly?  I think that .jpg and the like
> are used extensively in 3D Max but I can't affort $3500+ !!!!

Two things to remember:
   - Size of pixel in image map should be < 1 pixel in rendered image
   - Use interpolation

Xander

1. Moray / POVRAY Image Map Problem

I'm working in Moray and POVRAY.
I'm trying to apply 2 image maps (same image, 2 different names to
avoid confusion) to the opposite sides of a UDO airplane fusalage and
have run into a problem. I'm using a 3-layered texture where the 1st
(bottom) layer is a colormap with filter0 and transmit 0. The 2nd
(middle) layer is a GIF image map with register 1, transmit 1, checked
for ONCE, and is placed on the right side of the fuselage. The third
(top) layer is the same as the second placed on the left side of the
fuselage.

When rendered, both images are visible on both sides of the fusalge
with one reversed. When this is done using only a 2 layered texture
with one image map applied to the right side it's reverse image is
visible from the left side. Apparently the upper layer is visible
through the bottom layer on BOTH sides of the fusalage even though
there is nowhere that the lowerr layer can be seen to be transmitting
anything but those parts of the upper layers with transmit 0.
Confused ? Me too !

I've tried a number of things to stop this: Hollowing the UDO,
putting a solid box inside the UDO between the 2 image maps, and using
TGA images with masks rather than GIFs with transmit, all to no avail.

Does anyone know why this is happening and how to stop it ?
I have at least 3 more sets (left and right) of images to apply and
this has got me stumped

                                                   RLM

3. Texture mapping woes

4. It's so daaarnn sloooooooooow...

5. HELP! Puzzle displacement map woes

6. Matte shadows.. *BLEGH*!!!

7. texture mapping woes - newbie

8. beginner (?) problem with character studio2

9. Help with texture mapping woes

10. Moray's normal map

11. Bump Maps in Moray?

12. Moray Problem - MDL and Maps Included - height.zip (0/1)

13. Moray Problem - MDL and Maps Included - height.zip (1/1)