Fundamentals of Interactive Computer Graphics

Fundamentals of Interactive Computer Graphics

Post by 238 » Sat, 07 Apr 1990 11:46:51

Some time ago it was mentioned that a new edition of Foley + Van Dam
was in the works.  Does anybody have a release date for it?

later,
ag
--

CSUA President                       |"Ignore Reality"

Post by Knut Moerk » Sat, 07 Apr 1990 17:18:23

|> Some time ago it was mentioned that a new edition of Foley + Van Dam
|> was in the works.  Does anybody have a release date for it?
|>
|> later,
|> ag
|> --

|> CSUA President                         |"Ignore Reality"

I just heard from Addison Wesley that the new edition should be
available in Europe by
the middle of June.

Knut Morken
Institutt for informatikk
University of Oslo
Norway

Fundamentals of Interactive Computer Graphics

Post by Randy M. Rohr » Fri, 13 Apr 1990 07:33:49

        I am currently taking a graphics course
at George Washington University (Dr. Foley's school).
We are using the manuscript of the new edition of
this book for our text. In my opinion, the new book
is excellent. It includes topics such as PHIGS,
radiosity, animation, and physical-based modeling
as well as the conventional set of graphics topics.
I think that most people will really like it
when it finally appears. (Don't ask me when. I have no
better idea than you.)

                       Randy Rohrer

1. Modern equivalent of "Fundamentals of Interactive Computer Graphics"?

Hi.  I'm currently reading J.D. Foley and A. Van Dam's
_Fundamentals of Interactive Computer Graphics_.  It's a great book,
with some timeless information.  However, much of the content
reflects the state of affairs when it was written back in 1981.

A significant portion of the book is geared towards vector displays
with DPUs that read segmented display programs.  There's a brief mention
of "newer" systems like Xerox PARC's Alto, and a new type of input
device called the "mouse", but much more attention is given to
light pens and programmable function keyboards.

My question: Is there a modern equivalent of this text?

The book touches on a number of areas, from hardware to 3D coordinate
transformations to photo-realistic scene composition.  However, I'm more
interested in interactive 2D applications, for example manipulating
structured technical diagrams.  I'd really enjoy a modern version
of Chapter 9, "Modeling and Object Hierarchy".  It's great reading,
but it seems a little dated, especially the lack of any mention
of object oriented approaches.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

CALCE EPSC              | Phone:  301-405-5341       |
University of Maryland  | Fax:    301-314-9269       |

2. Fonts as Art - Art as Font

3. EGA enhancements

4. FUNDAMENTALS OF COMPUTER GRAPHICS

5. New OpenGL Game

6. Chairperson, Computer Graphics & Interactive Media

7. Diversive Paths interactive computer graphics (COOL WWW SITE)

8. Chairperson, Computer Graphics & Interactive Media

9. Maths library required for fundamental graphics