HELP!!! GIF Encoder Woes

Post by Jeff Mitche » Sat, 04 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Hi,
  I am writiing a GIF encoder, and am having trouble when the code length
changes.
  For example, on a 16-color GIF, the codes begin at 5 bits long. (100000 would
be the clear code.)  When the codes change to 6 bits long (i.e. the dictionary
gets 16 values in it), my encoder starts to output the wrong codes.
  I am not exactly sure when the encoder is supossed to start using 6-bit
codes.  Is it when the encoder finds the first code that would need 6 bits to
write, or is it when the decoder fills its dictionary?
  Any help on the subject would be extremely helpful.
Jeff Mitchell

1. HELP!!! GIF Encoder Woes

Hi,
  I am writiing a GIF encoder, and am having trouble when the code length
changes.
  For example, on a 16-color GIF, the codes begin at 5 bits long. (100000 would
be the clear code.)  When the codes change to 6 bits long (i.e. the dictionary
gets 16 values in it), my encoder starts to output the wrong codes.
  I am not exactly sure when the encoder is supossed to start using 6-bit
codes.  Is it when the encoder finds the first code that would need 6 bits to
write, or is it when the decoder fills its dictionary?
  Any help on the subject would be extremely helpful.
Jeff Mitchell

2. Swapping positive and negative y axes

3. GIF encoder

4. GetPixel in planar modes

5. GIF encoder not in FAQ?

6. looking for free low faced model ( less than 1000 faces)

7. EUROGRAPHICS'96 Futuroscope - France

8. GIF encoder source codes?

9. *** GIF encoder C++ ***

10. *** GIF encoder ***

11. Searching for gif-decoder/encoder C(++) code - where?

12. NEEDED: PD source for GIF encoder/decoder/viewer in TP or C