MAC versus Windows PC versus OS/2 PC for multimedia

MAC versus Windows PC versus OS/2 PC for multimedia

Post by Glen Whelde » Thu, 04 May 1995 04:00:00

alt.binaries.multimedia,alt.binaries.pictures.misc,alt.binaries.pictures.utilities,comp.c
ompression,comp.graphics,comp.graphics.animation,comp.multimedia
> Subject: Re: MAC versus Windows PC versus OS/2 PC for multimedia
> Date: Wed, 3 May 1995 00:21:51 -0500

alt.binaries.pictures.utilities:10739 comp.compression:4673 comp.graphics:13191
comp.graphics.animation:6747 comp.multimedia:11309

> > bah,
> > you and i and everyone else in the entire world knows that the
> > MACINTOSH was made for multimedia and DTP. You know it. Sure, windoze
> > and os/poo have their share of graphics and video etc shit but the mac
> > (ppc esp) was simply created to be a multimedia machine. I have both
> > puters right here, I am not an ignorant mac user, nor a dipshit pc
> > user. The PC is good for everything BUT graphics and multimedia, no
> > matter the OS. The mac is good at that, not at anything else, well
> > maybe some other things.

> > my 3.5 canadian cents
> > -brian

> > *             Munchkin On IRC            *
> > *     http://www.halcyon.com/larryf/     *

> Hey, watch it there!  What do you mean the Mac is not good for much
> else?!  Take a look on the desks over at the National Center For
> Supercomputing - what do they have on their desks (other than SGIs and
> Suns) but Macs - they know what you want at the user end of a monster
> network!  Look at the IEEE spec numbers, a PPC601 box is 110% to 160%
> faster than a Pentium at the same clock speed for FPU calcs, and we all
> know what the only real PPC box on the market is - a Mac!  So which is
> right for the numbercrunching CAD or scientific user?  We all know
> that Macs are practically zero maintenance (compared to a PC!) and which
> platform you can add SCSI devices to in under 10 mins out of the box - so
> which is right for the inexperienced home user?

> What was that about Macs being good only for DTP/MultiMedia?

> Tom Donalek

> Here they are, the questions, that's all.

>  -Jacques Derrida

>   From "Restitutions if the Truth in Painting"

Hmmmm...  I think the issue here is what platform you feel best completes your task,
whether its DTP, multimedia, etc.  For me, to support a company with 10% of the market
doesn't make sense - whether they have good products or not.  The power of the PC market
is its open architecture in putting together systems, availability of software titles,
and competition in general.  Why is Apple just now allowing clones?  Because the more
machines in the field, the more the third party development can flourish.  For 3D work, I
don't think there is any comparison.  The Mac software just isn't close to the level of
stuff you can get on the PC.  Electric Image is good stuff, but it certainly isn't 3d
Studio!  Animation Master, truespace, etc. are just the tip of great PC products.  MAC
support for true 3d animation never materialized.  I DO, however, that multimedia
development in general is better suited for the Mac.  Director, and the slew of authoring
packages out there are tremendous on the Mac.

"Let's not quibble and bicker about who killed who; this is a happy occasion!
 _Michael Palin (Holy Grail)

The feasibility of both platforms depends upon the application!!!!

 -Glen

MAC versus Windows PC versus OS/2 PC for multimedia

Post by Hershe » Fri, 05 May 1995 04:00:00

writes:

Quote:> I have three hard disks, a quad speed CDROM drive and a magneto-optical
> drive on my Mac's SCSI bus.  Are you telling me that if I had a PC I could
> put all of those things inside the case?

I can in my Gateway Pentium Tower case.  Even have room and power to spare.
The Dell minitower could at least fit the cdrom the mo and two of the drives.
I'd have to open it up to make sure if all three of the drives could fit, but
I think they can.

Post by Scott Moo » Fri, 05 May 1995 04:00:00

>writes:

>> I have three hard disks, a quad speed CDROM drive and a magneto-optical
>> drive on my Mac's SCSI bus.  Are you telling me that if I had a PC I could
>> put all of those things inside the case?

>I can in my Gateway Pentium Tower case.  Even have room and power to spare.
>The Dell minitower could at least fit the cdrom the mo and two of the drives.
>I'd have to open it up to make sure if all three of the drives could fit, but
>I think they can.

In my Dell XPS P90 Running OS/2 I have a NEC CD-Rom, Tape Backup, and
3 1.2 GB WDD Hard-disks- all in a mini-tower, with no extra controller cards!
It runs blazing fast, and is very compact :-) And I still easily have room
to fit my VGA to TV converter, my 128bit 4-mb RAM PCI Video Card, Ethernet
card, 28.8 Modem, and a 32 bit Sound BlasterAWE! Totally kicks ass for
multi-media!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------.
|     From the desk of Scott Moore, International Technical Director       |
:--------------------------------------------------------------------------:
|   International Headquarters   |  The Council of Educational Facility    |

|   http://www.cefpi.com/cefpi   |           (602) 948-2337 Voice          |

Post by Ken F. Mort » Tue, 09 May 1995 04:00:00

>The really cool aspect of the upcoming PCI Macs (especially the Radius
>clones) is that adding a 64-bit or 128-bit graphics card will be really
>cool; and with QuickDraw, QuickTime, and QuickDraw3D, they really will
>blow the equivalent Pentia out of the water.  Plus the built-in Mac
>ability to support multiple monitors (anyone who uses Director knows
>exactly what I mean).

        How will the PCI Macs blow equivalent p5's out of the water?  It
certainly won't be with the addition of the same 64/128-bit graphics
cards that PCs already have.  If you think that Quickdraw3D will make
the difference you've forgotten that it is basically the same thing as
OpenGL, which means that it will take advantage of any hardware
graphics acceleration present, so your mac will not suddenly perform
like an SGI after you install some software...  And since OpenGL will
be on pc's...

Ken F. Morton                   "The only thing I ever rilly wanted

http://www.panix.com/~kmorton
"Mew!" - Selby The Cat and increasingly, myself.

Post by Stanley C. Wo » Tue, 09 May 1995 04:00:00

>not running under Windoze- That could account for a 100% speed decrease right
>there... maybe PPC AUX Unix vs. PC Pentium Unix.... (sco or Linux)
>I'd like to see the results... :-)

Why not compare the two with AIX??  I am not sure if a pentium optimized AIX
is out (I assume so) but I know for a fact that AIX runs on them.

                                L8r,
                                 Stanley

MAC versus Windows PC versus OS/2 PC for multimedia

Post by Jerry Nai » Fri, 12 May 1995 04:00:00

How long are these threads going to stay in the binary groups?
Please, if you're going to post to this thread, cut out these groups:
--
\_                                          \_

  \___________________________________________\_____________________

Post by David Ca » Sat, 27 May 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>>> I have three hard disks, a quad speed CDROM drive and a magneto-optical
>>> drive on my Mac's SCSI bus.  Are you telling me that if I had a PC I could
>>> put all of those things inside the case?

   I could fit all but one in my work Mac for sure, and probably all of it
(Q950). And with room to spare for cards and whatever. Why do you need a
PC? Most top end macs are tower/mini-tower.

   Cheers
         David

--

Post by Darren Metcalf » Sat, 27 May 1995 04:00:00

>   I could fit all but one in my work Mac for sure, and probably all of it
>   (Q950). And with room to spare for cards and whatever. Why do you need a
>   PC? Most top end macs are tower/mini-tower.

Hmm... Got a 8100/80/CD, had to add a 3GB Micropolis (Full Heighth, 5.25") and a
Syquest (Half Heighth, 5.25"). You wanna tell me how I could possibly put them
inside the PowerMac? The CD slot is the only 5.25" external, so no on the Syquest.
Internally, there might be room for the Micropolis on the bottom of the machine, but
there are no (built-in) mounting brackets. So they went in a PC mini-tower, much
cheaper than a dedicated SCSI-tower box. Besides, the Micropolis drives run so hot
I'd be afraid to put one anywhere near a logic board.

Of course, I was totally unaware of this stuff before I bought the Mac. I mean, look
at a 8100 or 840AV, it certainly >looks< like you've got 2 external 5.25" slots and
lots of room inside. Not the case, pun intended.

--
Darren Metcalfe

1. MAC versus Windows PC versus OS/2 PC for multimedia

Oh please! you MAC users have your heads buried so deep into a hole you have
NO IDEA whats up in the REAL computer world!
I was woried about the PC's presence in the grafix world after the unveiling
of the PowerPC.... that is until I saw one in action. The powerPC 601 is
slower than a 486-66 with a $100 graphics card!

And by the way , I am now running Windows 95... which blows windows3.1 away in
the multimedia dept. It's gonna be a sad year for Apple in '95

also, wish you could see Descent on my PC... you would burn your friggn' MAC!
Didn't they just release wolfenstein on the MAC? hahahahah =)

Dream on, MAC Fanatics! your superiority exists only amongst yourselves! Just
wait till P^ is out this year! HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAH =)

2. JOB: Looking for a Traditional Character Animator

3. problems with ddxcl mode & video

4. Re(2): MAC versus Windows PC versus OS/2 PC for multimedia

5. Learn to Make $$$FAST CASH$$$ With Honest Work

6. MAC versus Windows PC versus OS/2 PC for multimedia

7. MAC versus Windows PC versus OS/2 for multimedia

8. MAC versus Windows PC versus OS/2 PC f

9. X an OS? (was Re: MAC versus Windows PC versus OS/2 PC for multimedia)