What is JBIG?

Post by NiceGu » Sun, 01 Aug 1999 04:00:00

I just saw something about JBIG, but I couldn't really understand what
it is.
Is someone here familiar with this term? is it a new compressed image
file format or something, better than JPEG?
Thanks!

What is JBIG?

Post by Tom Lan » Mon, 02 Aug 1999 04:00:00

> I just saw something about JBIG, but I couldn't really understand what
> it is.
> Is someone here familiar with this term? is it a new compressed image
> file format or something, better than JPEG?

It's not new, nor particularly popular (mainly because of patent
problems), and it's certainly not better than JPEG for the tasks
JPEG is designed for.  JBIG is for bilevel black-and-white images
(JBIG = Joint BIlevel compression Group).  It's better than standard
B&W fax compression, but not enough better to make any headway under
the handicap of patent royalties.  If it was you'd have heard of it
years ago, because it's more or less the same age as JPEG.

If you want more info you can find it in the comp.compression FAQ,
or try www.jpeg.org (ISO's JPEG subcommittee also takes care of
JBIG these days).

                        regards, tom lane
                        organizer, Independent JPEG Group