BMRT&flickering lights

Post by Murph11 » Sat, 08 May 1999 04:00:00

I recently started exporting rib's out of MAYA, and rendering the animations in
BMRT on an NT. The problem is that the scene lights "flicker" all through the
animation, when the values stay constant. Any suggestions on what the heck is
going on????
Thanks in advance -sean

BMRT&flickering lights

Post by Nicholas Yu » Tue, 11 May 1999 04:00:00

> >> I recently started exporting rib's out of MAYA, and rendering the animations
> >> in BMRT on an NT. The problem is that the scene lights "flicker" all through
> >> the animation, when the values stay constant. Any suggestions on what the
> >> heck is going on????

> >       I have had similar encounter and had reported the problem to Wave (he
> > ported BMRT to Windows).

> >       I was informed that it also happens on the SGI port of BMRT.

> I have had the flickering light problem as well.  Are you outputing your RIB
> into one very large file, or into separate files for each frame?  I found
> when I output to a single file I get the flicker, and when each frame has a
> separate RIB I don't get the flicker.

        Yup, my work around was to do the "rendrib -frames <frame-number>
<frame-number> <rib-file>".

Cheers
--
Nicholas Yue                    | RenderMan.

(C)
http://www.cwr.uwa.edu.au/~yue  | +61 8 9380-1897 (Office)
The Centre for Water Research   | +61 8 9380-1015 (Fax)

BMRT&flickering lights

Post by Chris Bon » Fri, 14 May 1999 04:00:00

> I recently started exporting rib's out of MAYA, and rendering the
> animations in BMRT on an NT. The problem is that the scene lights
> "flicker" all through the animation, when the values stay
> constant. Any suggestions on what the heck is going on????

If your problem is restricted to a directional light (like a spot
or a directional light) then you might be having the same problem
I did.

In my case the 'from' and 'to' were really close together compared to
the size of the world.  Moving 'to' to be *much* farther away and not
normalizing the 'axis' that I passed to illuminate() fixed the
problem.

-cb

--
Chris Bone     | She's my yo-yo, I'm her string,

Animal Logic   | (p) 61-2-9383-4830 (h) 61-2-9401-0321 (f) 61-2-9383-4801

1. Flicker Flicker Flicker and big Bitmaps

This is mainly to Earl F. Glynn.

How many times have you answered this question:
  How can I do flickerfree animations?

Or how about this one, I know I have asked this question myself:
  How can I do to display a realy large Bitmap?

I just want to say that you do a good job, answering these questions all the
time.
You deserve some credits, and your homepage is so neat.

regards David

2. Moray / POVRAY Image Map Problem

3. Flicker Flicker Always a Flicker

4. comp.graphics.algorithms Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

5. Flicker Light Studio presents Tom Repasky

6. 3d Video Cards

7. flickering lights

8. 3dsmax 2.0 and complex objects

9. Random Flickering Light