TIFF 5.0 and TIFF Class F

Post by J.T. Conkl » Sun, 12 Aug 1990 06:14:10

Parts of the TIFF Class F specification have allways bothered me, but
until recently, I have been willing to overlook the warts because of
the desirability of a "standard" file format for storing facsimile
documents.

The one point that I feel must be resolved between TIFF 5.0 and TIFF/F
is the fact that TIFF 5.0 requires RTCs be included in Fax compatable
G3 compression, while TIFF/F requires that RTCs not be included.

I belive the change in semantics, without a corresponding method of
determining which method has been used, needs to be address.  To that
end, I suggest that a new bit be added to the Group3Options tag that
indicates which method is to be used.

        --jtc

--
J.T. Conklin    CADnet Inc, San Ramon California