Illustrator?Mac to Pc Preview

Post by Jim Lukens-Gab » Sat, 08 May 1999 04:00:00

This is probably something so basic, but I cannot figure this out . . .

I have a reverse logo (white art, no background) created originally in
AI6.0 (mac). This logo has been "saved as" in various enlarged and
reduced eps versions for clients to import/place into their pagelayout
apps. Work great on the mac.

I open these eps files in AI8.0 (we've upgraded), save as eps now for
the PC, preview of 8-bit IBM-PC, and select "include document
thumbnails."

Some of these reverse logos preview great when placed in Pagemaker 6.5
on the PC, while others place with a white box that is the same size as
the "bounding box." Yet all print fine to a postscript printer, with no
bounding box!

Here's the question: Why do some preview just fine, while others give
me the white box? And what do I need to do in AI to eliminate this
white box on the PC versions of the logos?

Perplexed in PA!

P.S.  I'd be more than happy to send copies of these files as email
attachments to anyone if it would help to solve this problem.

Jim Lukens-Gable
Penn State Document Services

Post by William Campbel » Sat, 08 May 1999 04:00:00

> Here's the question: Why do some preview just fine, while others give
> me the white box? And what do I need to do in AI to eliminate this
> white box on the PC versions of the logos?

Save with AI 8 Windows or save as 1-bit PC TIFF instead (which will not
be colored, but will eliminate the white background).

--
William Campbell
Revere Graphics Portland Oregon USA

voice (503) 239-6098
fax (503) 239-7053

http://www.rgraphics.com
ftp://ftp.rgraphics.com

Post by j.. » Sat, 08 May 1999 04:00:00

> Why do you have multiple reduced and enlarged versions of this logo? (I'm
> envisioning a half-dozen files at least.) Can't your customers reduce or
> enlarge in their layout apps? Or do you have to be very specific about the
> logo size or is there something different about the logo at different sizes?

In a perfect world, everyone knows how to enlarge and reduce vector art
 : )

But we see the logo (Penn State University's official logo) squished,
squashed, and horizontally  and/or vertically scaled all over the
place. So it is easier to give them a 1/2" logo and have them place it
without having to think about enlarging or reducing it for their file's
purposes. And especially for stationary and business cards, there are
specific sizes of the logo that have been approved for those uses by
the "logo police" at Penn State.

There are 21 different campus specific logos, in both positive and
reverse format with 4 versions in each format . . . so that's what 168
for macs and 168 for pc's = 336  Whew! A real headache sometimes for
file management, but it saves hassle looking at each document to see it
the logo has been used and scaled properly in our Prepress Department.

We generally are dealing with customers who know "just enough to be
dangerous" with (PC) Pagemaker, Word, Wordperfect, or Publisher and
want to do everything themselves to save money; but we end up usually
cleaning up their files anyways.

By the way, for our workflow we use Quark, Illustrator, PhotoShop,
Trapwise; though as a in-plant service bureau, we have to have all of
the programs for both mac and pc. It's tough getting a decent ps file
sometimes from a customer so you don't have to worry about fonts,
graphics, etc...

But that's digressing from the original post. Any clues to the
Illustrator issue of a solid white filled bounding box on some of the
logos?

Illustrator?Mac to Pc Preview

Post by j.. » Sat, 08 May 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>>Save with AI 8 Windows or save as 1-bit PC TIFF instead (which will not

be colored, but will eliminate the white background).

Quote:>>>William Campbell

I tried this, but it didn't work, well, it did work to place the files,
and the file printed okay, but there was no preview of the graphic.

The eps file is white, with no background, placed onto a dark
background in Pagemaker-PC. Parts of the logo are "transparent" so that
the background color or photo can show through it. (I didn't design the
logo, just have to work with it.)

Jim L-G

Illustrator?Mac to Pc Preview

Post by j.. » Sat, 08 May 1999 04:00:00

>It's not like you can turn the "customer" down, is it.

As an in-plant, no we cannot turn anyone down; which is why I'm trying
to solve this illustrator issue, since the bulk of our "customers" use
pc's.

Post by Charles Moo » Sat, 08 May 1999 04:00:00

> >>Save with AI 8 Windows or save as 1-bit PC TIFF instead (which will not
> be colored, but will eliminate the white background).

> I tried this, but it didn't work, well, it did work to place the files,
> and the file printed okay, but there was no preview of the graphic.

> The eps file is white, with no background, placed onto a dark
> background in Pagemaker-PC. Parts of the logo are "transparent" so that
> the background color or photo can show through it. (I didn't design the
> logo, just have to work with it.)

> Jim L-G

The only way you're going to make that one work preview-wise is to
attach a metafile(.wmf) preview to the eps file. The best way I know of
to do this is with a little utility you can pick up for free at
http://www.rdpslides.com/rdpsoft.htm
look at the bottom of the page for a link to "EPSWMF"
--
+==============================+
| Charles Moon Graphic Design  |

+==============================+

Illustrator?Mac to Pc Preview

Post by John Jord » Sun, 09 May 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>The only way you're going to make that one work preview-wise is to
>attach a metafile(.wmf) preview to the eps file. The best way I know of
>to do this is with a little utility you can pick up for free at
>http://www.rdpslides.com/rdpsoft.htm
>look at the bottom of the page for a link to "EPSWMF"

EPS with WMF headers rock on the PC. The header is so nice and clear,
unlike those chunky TIFF headers.

However, I never use a WMF header. The header is just for placement
anyway, so it's really not necessary. And I can see some potential
problems. What if the EPS with a WMF header was sent to a guy using a
Mac? Never tried it, but my gut tells me to expect something to break
badly.

Secondly, what happens if you try to open an EPS with WMF header in
Illustrator or something that normally can read EPS files? I note my
Illustrator 8/Win can open EPS, but what would it do with an EPS with
WMF header? As I said, I've never tried it, but such issues need to be
tested thoroughly before assuming that the WMF header is the cure-all.

Another problem is what if the PC guy prints the file to a
non-PostScript printer? The WMF header will print. Normally you'd have
the TIFF header print, and the user would be dissatisfied with the
results and stop trying to print the file. If a WMF header is used,
then the WMF will print, which will be nice and sharp, but perhaps not
identical to the EPS. I see a potential problem with the "logo police"
the original poster mentioned.

I just stay away from WMF on general principles.

NOTICE: The e-mail address is deliberately incorrect. Make the ISP
read "spiritone.com" by adding an "e."

Illustrator?Mac to Pc Preview

Post by j.. » Tue, 11 May 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> Send me the files and Ill check it out, use Illustrator 6 on a Mac, I find it the most reliable version for inter-computer transfers.

I'll send some sample files Monday AM. Thanks for the offer of looking
at the files.

Jim L-G

Illustrator?Mac to Pc Preview

Post by muel.. » Wed, 12 May 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> This is probably something so basic, but I cannot figure this
out . . .

> I have a reverse logo (white art, no background) created originally in
> AI6.0 (mac). This logo has been "saved as" in various enlarged and
> reduced eps versions for clients to import/place into their pagelayout
> apps. Work great on the mac.

> I open these eps files in AI8.0 (we've upgraded), save as eps now for
> the PC, preview of 8-bit IBM-PC, and select "include document
> thumbnails."

> Here's the question: Why do some preview just fine, while others give
> me the white box? And what do I need to do in AI to eliminate this
> white box on the PC versions of the logos?

> Perplexed in PA!

 It's not a basic problem, it's as old as the two platforms. You have
already figured it out and to some extend others have answered your
question, let me just put it in perspective.
The problem is simply the previews of each platform. Mac: PIC, PC: tiff.
A pic allows vector and you see transparencey. A tiff does not,
therefore the art shows the bounding box on a white graphic.
There are 4 solutions for you:

1. know what background will be used and place that behind the Ill .eps.
2. export as .wmf
3. Use Corel with the ability to save as a .eps but use .wfm preview
which will allow no white bounding boxes.
4. create the entire layout in Illustrator and place the .eps in your
layout program.

Of course if illustrator is your only program, then option one will
work best, that is if you need a full proof for them to view, otherwise
option 4.
I see and fight with this daily when there is an overlap of colors and
sps files in a layout on the pc, as such, the mac is preferred for that
reason.
I do hope the new Adobe Indesign will allow some type of preview
options.

Randall
http://whdesign.com

Post by j.. » Thu, 13 May 1999 04:00:00

> 1. know what background will be used and place that behind the Ill .eps.
> 2. export as .wmf
> 3. Use Corel with the ability to save as a .eps but use .wfm preview
> which will allow no white bounding boxes.
> 4. create the entire layout in Illustrator and place the .eps in your
> layout program.

Well, here's the scoop.

1. We never know what the background will be, and the clients out on
campus us it on everything from solid backgrounds to photos.

2. WMF...Well, I've had very little success saving the logo this way.
Ususally the logo looks very chunky ? round edges turning into a series
of short straight lines (at leasst this is through HiJack Pro on the
PC). Any ideas as far as saving it as a wmf file from AI8.0 on the mac?

3. We don't have Corel. If we really needed to purchase this just to
convert AI logos, it seems like wasted money.

4. The entire layout in Ai, this isn't feasible since it's just a logo
that PC users need to be able to place and output themselves or returnm
their files to us to output to film, docutech, etc...

Getting back to the original post, and I hope I was clear, it is only a
small percentage of the various versions logos that do not preview
properly. Most preview just fine. And yet I am saving all the logos the
same way. In fact all the logos were created from one master that is
saved at various enlargements and reductions. Again, the mac versions
are fine, its just the pc versions.

1. Mac EPS (PICT preview) to PC EPS (TIFF preview)

Does anybody know of a utility for the Mac or PC that can simply
convert the preview image in a Mac EPS file from PICT to TIF?

MacLink Translator can but unfortunately the TIF image is HUGE!
(Probably 24-bit). This causes an EPS file to go from 47k to 530k for
example.

All I need is a 1-bit TIF preview image in the EPS file so that these
files produce a screen image in FrameMaker on both the Mac and the PC.
(Graphics are being produced in Canvas on the Mac, imported into Frame
on the Mac, and placed on the Novell network for use on both Macs and
PCs).

2. PHIGS Bibliograhy (long)

3. Illustrator 7.0 PC - Big Flaw with EPS preview?????

4. An explosion tutorial is up

5. Thumbnails and Preview Pics - Mac vs PC.

6. A title on several lines

7. Illustrator file from PC to Mac

8. how to tell if face is culled by GL ?

9. Mac Illustrator-->PC Corel??

10. Illustrator (mac) -> Corel Draw (pc)

11. PC Illustrator files to a MAC?

12. Illustrator fil from PC to Mac

13. Does Illustrator for PC have same features as Mac version