Resizing selections

Post by Helge Mouldin » Wed, 01 Mar 2000 04:00:00

I've used the deformation tool a couple of times to change the size
of a selection. The trouble is that there's no easy way to maintain
the selection's aspect: if you grab a corner handle, it lets you
change height and width independently. Eyeballing it doesn't work
for me, it seems.

I get around this problem by drawing a diagonal guide rule from one
corner of the selection to the opposite on a separate layer before
I start, and then the aspect ratio stays ok as long as I keep the
corner handles on the guide rule. Well, it's close enough for
government work.

I know I could paste the selection as a new image and resize that,
but when the final size needs to match an existing part of the
image that I'm working on, this get even more tedious than drawing
guide rules.

Is there a simpler way to do this? Ideally, there should be a way to
set the deformation tool so that it maintains the aspect ratio.
--
 Helge Moulding

 http://www.geocities.com/Athens/1401     with a weird name

Resizing selections

Post by Porte » Wed, 01 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Yeah, there is an easier way Helge .. just use your right mouse button to
drag those corner handles and maintain the aspect ration.

Porter

> I've used the deformation tool a couple of times to change the size
> of a selection. The trouble is that there's no easy way to maintain
> the selection's aspect: if you grab a corner handle, it lets you
> change height and width independently. Eyeballing it doesn't work
> for me, it seems.

> I get around this problem by drawing a diagonal guide rule from one
> corner of the selection to the opposite on a separate layer before
> I start, and then the aspect ratio stays ok as long as I keep the
> corner handles on the guide rule. Well, it's close enough for
> government work.

> I know I could paste the selection as a new image and resize that,
> but when the final size needs to match an existing part of the
> image that I'm working on, this get even more tedious than drawing
> guide rules.

> Is there a simpler way to do this? Ideally, there should be a way to
> set the deformation tool so that it maintains the aspect ratio.
> --
>  Helge Moulding

>  http://www.geocities.com/Athens/1401     with a weird name

Resizing selections

Post by Ronald Vic » Wed, 01 Mar 2000 04:00:00

On Tue, 29 Feb 2000 10:21:56 -0700, "Helge Moulding"

Quote:>I've used the deformation tool a couple of times to change the size
>of a selection. The trouble is that there's no easy way to maintain
>the selection's aspect: if you grab a corner handle, it lets you
>change height and width independently. Eyeballing it doesn't work
>for me, it seems.

>I get around this problem by drawing a diagonal guide rule from one
>corner of the selection to the opposite on a separate layer before
>I start, and then the aspect ratio stays ok as long as I keep the
>corner handles on the guide rule. Well, it's close enough for
>government work.

>I know I could paste the selection as a new image and resize that,
>but when the final size needs to match an existing part of the
>image that I'm working on, this get even more tedious than drawing
>guide rules.

>Is there a simpler way to do this? Ideally, there should be a way to
>set the deformation tool so that it maintains the aspect ratio.

Right click a corner and drag for proportional resize...

Shift key down for trapezoidal deformations.
Ctrl Key down for Perspective deformation.

Ron- PSP Terrorist - D'Lanok de Caresk chapter, Executive Officer.
FAQs at http://www.alphageo.com/psp/faq.html
Very FAQ at http://members.aol.com/psptopten/topten.html
My tips at http://hometown.aol.com/ronaldlvick/index.html

Resizing selections

Post by Berkele » Wed, 01 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Porter <wrote

Quote:> Yeah, there is an easier way Helge .. just use your right mouse button to
> drag those corner handles and maintain the aspect ration.

It's a wonderful thing, this newsgroup.  This has just answered a question
that occurred to me only this afternoon.

B.