Which programs to use?

Post by Debbi Fortne » Wed, 11 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Having used all programs mentioned, this is my (ever so humble) opinion.

Page layout, especially for a catalog, would be easiest with
QuarkXPress. An Xtension can be purchased that will link your document
to a database, which is especially useful for catalog publishing.

Graphics: Depends on version. Prior to version 7 of both FreeHand and
Illustrator, I would have placed the two very close, and agreed that the
way you work probably would determine the best product for you. HOWEVER,
I am very disappointed with Illustrator 7, but am very pleased with
FreeHand 7. (Just so you know, I preferred Illustrator before). I think
FreeHand is now much more intuitive. Adobe is attempting to make all of
their apps work and look the same, and I think that this goal is
actually hurting the programs.

Image Manipulation: Depending on your catalog, you may or may not need
Photoshop. If doing any photographs, it is a must.

The learning curve mentioned by Kyle (I think) is very accurate. If your
background is not in computers, typesetting and design, plan to invest
quite a bit of time in learning the programs. Ideally you should hire a
trainer/consultant, or if time permits take some classes at a community
college. The beauty of hiring a trainer is that you can work on what you
specifically need to know, rather than getting "generic" training. (Yes,
I am in this profession! I teach XPress, PageMaker, Illustrator,
FreeHand and Photoshop, to name a few.)

Hope that helps, Timothy.

Debbi Fortney
Working Minds
Kirkland, WA

1. Sample programs needed using MATROX COMET library

  I have been struggling to write C programs (using Borland C++ 4.0
compiler for windows) that uses MATROX COMET (frame grabber board)
library. I haven't succeeded so far. I am suspecting the possibility of
a compatibility problem (the library is supposed to be compatible with
BC++3.1) . But I cannot be sure since I do not have much experience with
either the compiler or the board library.
  Is there anybody working in a similar environment? Any help
(especially small sample programs) will be extremely useful .

 Thanks

Note: When I tried the sample program that came with the board (wtest.c)
BC++4.0 gave linker errors (it showed all the library functions as
undefined symbols).

2. AAAAARGH - (was : test)

3. Problem with dgl programs without using graphics

4. Free Upgrade?

5. What programs are used in this site?

6. k-ary tree

7. Which program is used to display .pps files...?

8. What program its used to create this maps?????

9. Program error using filters

10. OpenGL program Crashes using new OpenGL32.dll file for Win98 but not old dll file

11. What programs were used

12. What program was used for the Simpsons Holloween Special