Illustrator fil from PC to Mac

Post by Robert de Normandi » Thu, 19 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Does anybody know how to open a ".ai" file made in Illustrator with a pc

on a mac ?
I used Transmac to save my file on a mac-formated disk from my pc but
when I try to open it on the mac (with Illustrator), it doesn't work....

Help !

Illustrator fil from PC to Mac

Post by Spirit Engine/Level Desig » Thu, 19 Nov 1998 04:00:00

I'm not certain what problems you're having Robert, we open .ai files on PC
disks with our macs all the time. Here's how we do it...

1) save the file on a PC floppy ('cause macs with system 7.5 or later work
with PC formatted disks)

2) Open the file through Illustrator's 'Open File' command (not by double
clicking the file, the mac won't know that Illustrator opens .ai files.)

-or-

drag and drop the .ai file onto the icon for Illustrator.

We like to keep aliases for Illustrator and Photoshop on our desktops for
this process, works just like desktop printing.

Since Macs read/write PC floppies, you don't need Transmac software.

hope this helps....

----------

>Does anybody know how to open a ".ai" file made in Illustrator with a pc

>on a mac ?
>I used Transmac to save my file on a mac-formated disk from my pc but
>when I try to open it on the mac (with Illustrator), it doesn't work....

>Help !

Illustrator fil from PC to Mac

Post by Linda Reynold » Sat, 21 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Robert,

Be sure that you're aware of the version numbers of the software on each
platform. Maybe the PC file is from a newer version?

Linda

> Does anybody know how to open a ".ai" file made in Illustrator with a pc

> on a mac ?
> I used Transmac to save my file on a mac-formated disk from my pc but
> when I try to open it on the mac (with Illustrator), it doesn't work....

> Help !

1. Illustrator?Mac to Pc Preview

This is probably something so basic, but I cannot figure this out . . .

I have a reverse logo (white art, no background) created originally in
AI6.0 (mac). This logo has been "saved as" in various enlarged and
reduced eps versions for clients to import/place into their pagelayout
apps. Work great on the mac.

I open these eps files in AI8.0 (we've upgraded), save as eps now for
the PC, preview of 8-bit IBM-PC, and select "include document
thumbnails."

Some of these reverse logos preview great when placed in Pagemaker 6.5
on the PC, while others place with a white box that is the same size as
the "bounding box." Yet all print fine to a postscript printer, with no
bounding box!

Here's the question: Why do some preview just fine, while others give
me the white box? And what do I need to do in AI to eliminate this
white box on the PC versions of the logos?

Perplexed in PA!

P.S.  I'd be more than happy to send copies of these files as email
attachments to anyone if it would help to solve this problem.

Jim Lukens-Gable
Penn State Document Services

2. eight-way symmmetry of a circle when horizontal and vertical resolutions are different

3. Illustrator file from PC to Mac

4. BMRT vs. Radiance

5. Mac Illustrator-->PC Corel??

6. Dirichlet domains

7. Illustrator (mac) -> Corel Draw (pc)

8. PC Illustrator files to a MAC?

9. Does Illustrator for PC have same features as Mac version

10. WP PC files to Mac Illustrator

11. ! Help! Illustrator( Mac) to Corel Draw (PC)