Multi-threading POV-Ray?

Post by Wade McDanie » Sun, 18 Feb 2001 11:36:01

Is there a multi-threaded povray source out there? Also what machine is
best to use to render images. What machines have the fastest FPU?

Multi-threading POV-Ray?

Post by Ken » Sun, 18 Feb 2001 14:24:42

> Is there a multi-threaded povray source out there?

None that I am aware of. It is highly problematic to get POV-Ray to
render in a multi-threaded environment. For an explaination see -

http://www.students.tut.fi/~warp/povVFAQ/languageVFAQ.html#multiproce...

Quote:> Also what machine is best to use to render images.

I am currently using an AMD Athlon 950 MHz processor on an Abit MB with
a 200 MHz buss speed. It is a very capable rendering platform and I am
quite pleased with it - for the moment.

Quote:> What machines have the fastest FPU?

From the tests I have seen, and from the comments I have read by others,
the AMD Athlons seem about the best. The P-III's are quite a bit slower
than the Athlons at equivalent speeds and surprisingly are priced much
lower that the P-III's. Right now the AMD's are giving a lot of bang for
the buck.

Multi-threading POV-Ray?

Post by Mike William » Sun, 18 Feb 2001 16:33:46

Quote:>Is there a multi-threaded povray source out there?

I don't believe so. However, it wouldn't be too difficult to construct a
script which launched a separate copy of POVRay in each CPU with the
parameters set to render a different part of the image (e.g. by using
the +SR and +ER switches) and then glue the partial images back together
when they've all finished.

Quote:> Also what machine is
>best to use to render images. What machines have the fastest FPU?

There's a web site that has a table of Pov benchmarks for a large number
of different platforms. The last time I looked, the leader in the single
CPU list was the Sony PS2 Emotion Engine mounted on a Betty board
running Linux 2.2.2, and the fastest parallel system was the MX-81 using
96 Pentium III processors also under Linux 2.2.2, but things change
quite rapidly in the world of high speed computer development so it may
well be completely different by now.

The single CPU benchmark is at
<http://www.haveland.com/cgi-bin/getpovb.pl?search=Single%3A&submit=List
+all+Single+Results>

The parallel processor benchmark is at
<http://www.haveland.com/cgi-bin/getpovb.pl?search=Parallel%3A&submit=Li
st+all+Parallel+Results>

(With some browsers you'll have to manually glue those two lines
together to obtain the URL, rather than just being able to click on the
link. Or follow the links from <http://www.haveland.com/>)

--
Mike Williams
Gentleman of Leisure

Multi-threading POV-Ray?

Post by Wade McDanie » Mon, 19 Feb 2001 03:19:02

I didn't know that the PSX2 had any kind of OS that would allow for computer
like access. I thought it was a game box only. Are you saying that I could
go buy a PSX2, and somehow install linux on it. And then I could run POVRay
faster on it then on my amd 900 PC200? What would be involved in doing this?

> >Is there a multi-threaded povray source out there?

> I don't believe so. However, it wouldn't be too difficult to construct a
> script which launched a separate copy of POVRay in each CPU with the
> parameters set to render a different part of the image (e.g. by using
> the +SR and +ER switches) and then glue the partial images back together
> when they've all finished.

> > Also what machine is
> >best to use to render images. What machines have the fastest FPU?

> There's a web site that has a table of Pov benchmarks for a large number
> of different platforms. The last time I looked, the leader in the single
> CPU list was the Sony PS2 Emotion Engine mounted on a Betty board
> running Linux 2.2.2, and the fastest parallel system was the MX-81 using
> 96 Pentium III processors also under Linux 2.2.2, but things change
> quite rapidly in the world of high speed computer development so it may
> well be completely different by now.

> The single CPU benchmark is at
> <http://www.haveland.com/cgi-bin/getpovb.pl?search=Single%3A&submit=List
> +all+Single+Results>

> The parallel processor benchmark is at
> <http://www.haveland.com/cgi-bin/getpovb.pl?search=Parallel%3A&submit=Li
> st+all+Parallel+Results>

> (With some browsers you'll have to manually glue those two lines
> together to obtain the URL, rather than just being able to click on the
> link. Or follow the links from <http://www.haveland.com/>)

> --
> Mike Williams
> Gentleman of Leisure

Multi-threading POV-Ray?

Post by Wayn » Mon, 19 Feb 2001 07:36:35

>>Is there a multi-threaded povray source out there?

>I don't believe so. However, it wouldn't be too difficult to construct a
>script which launched a separate copy of POVRay in each CPU with the
>parameters set to render a different part of the image (e.g. by using
>the +SR and +ER switches) and then glue the partial images back together
>when they've all finished.

Sample script here and on the next page.

http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~wrooney/present/pc07.htm

Wayne

--

Remove the "s" to reply

visit my homepage:
http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~wrooney

1. Multi-threaded POVRAY 3.1a

I decided to download the POVRAY source and hack it a bit.

I used M$ VC5 to compile it.

I wanted to tryand start two rendering threads which would enable a speedup
on dual processor machines. Anyway I got it working but I could only compile
it using the DEBUG settings. When I compile it using RELEASE setings, It
doesn't get past lighting.c. The compilier just sits there and doesn't
create lighting.o

It works under DEBUG and I haven't touched lighting.c

Any ideas?

2. How/to for soft edge text PS 4.0

3. Multithreading POVRAY for WinNT

4. irisgl to opengl mapw problem

5. Multi-threaded POV-RAY 3.1 for Linux/UNIX

6. Max R2 multi-threading/multi-session question

7. multi-threaded, multi-processor OI?

8. Multithreading POV-Ray on a SUN ULTRA 2

9. New multi-cpu version of POV-Ray 2.2

10. Roue dentées pour POV-Ray/cogwheels for POV-Ray

11. New POV-Ray Electronic Newsletter (POV-Ray Times)