Call for papers: chaos, fractals, graphics

Call for papers: chaos, fractals, graphics

Post by Clif » Fri, 27 Sep 2002 01:47:02

Hi,

You are cordially invited to submit interesting, well-written articles
for the "Chaos and Graphics Section" of the international scientific
journal Computers and Graphics (Elsevier).  I edit this section, which
appears in each issue of the journal.  Topics include the mathematical,
scientific, and artistic application of fractals, chaos, and related.
Your papers can be quite short if desired, for example, often a page or
two is sufficient to convey an idea and a pretty graphic.  (The journal
is peer-reviewed, which means that several reviewers will judge whether
the paper is suitably written, attractive, relevant, or novel.  The
English must be excellent.)  I publish color, where appropriate.

The goal of my section is to provide visual demonstrations of
complicated and beautiful structures which can arise in systems based on
simple rules.  The section presents papers on the seemingly paradoxical
combinations of randomness and structure in systems of mathematical,
physical, biological, electrical, chemical, and artistic interest.
Topics include:  iteration, cellular automata, bifurcation maps,
fractals, dynamical systems, patterns of nature created from simple
rules, and aesthetic graphics drawn from the universe of mathematics and
art.

You can find submission guidelines here:
http://www.veryComputer.com/

Please remove the "Z" in my e-mail address if sending me mail.
Thanks.

Regards, Cliff

(Below is sampling of past paper titles.)

 Geometry and Nature

Chaos game visualization of sequences (H. J. Jeffrey). Tumor growth
simulation (W. Dchting). Computer simulation of the morphology and
development of several species of seaweed using Lindenmayer systems
(J.D. Corbit, D.J. Garbary). Generating fractals from Voronoi diagrams
(K.W. Shirriff). Circles with kiss: a note on osculatory packing (C.A.
Pickover). Graphical identification of spatio-temp*chaos (A.V.
Holden, A.V. Panfilov). Manifolds and control of chaotic systems (H.
Qammari, A. Venkatesan). A vacation on Mars - an artist's journey in a
computer graphics world (C.A. Pickover).

 Attractors

Automatic Generation of strange attractors (J.C. Sprott). Attractors
with dueling symmetry (C.A. Reiter). A new feature in Hnon's map (M.
Michelitsch, O.E. R?ssler). Lyapunov exponents of the logistics map with
periodic forcing (M. Markus, B. Hess). Toward a better understanding of
fractality in nature (M. Klein, O.E. R?ssler, J. Parisi, J. Peinke, G.
Baier, C. Khalert, J.L. Hudson). On the dynamics of real polynomials on
the plane (A.O. Lopes). Phase portraits for parametrically e*d
pendula: an exercise in multidimensional data visualisation (D.
Pottinger, S. Todd, I. Rodrigues, T. Mullin, A. Skeldon). Self-reference
and paradox in two and three dimensions (P. Grim, G. Mar, M. Neiger, P.
St. Denis). Visualizing the effects of filtering chaotic signals (M.T.
Rosenstein, J.J. Collins). Oscillating iteration paths in neural
networks learning (R. Rojas). The crying of fractal batrachion 1,489
(C.A. Pickover). Evaluating pseudo-random number generators (R.L.
Bowman).

 Cellular Automata, Gaskets, and Koch Curves

Sensitivity in cellular automata: some examples (M. Frame). One tub,
eight blocks, twelve blinkers and other views of life (J.E. Pulsifer,
C.A. Reiter). Scouts in hyperspace (S. Shepard, A. Simoson). Sierpinski
fractals and GCDs (C.A. Reiter). Complex patterns generated by next
nearest neighbors cellular automata (W. Li). On the congruence of binary
patterns generated by modular arithmetic on a parent array (A.
Lakhtakia, D.E. Passoja). A simple gasket derived from prime numbers (A.
Lakhtakia). Discrete approximation of the Koch curve (S.C. Hwang, H.S.
Yang). Visualizing Cantor cheese construction (C.A. Pickover, K.
McCarty). Notes on Pascal's pyramid for personal computer users (J.
Nugent). Patterns generated by logical operators (M. Szyszkowicz).

 Mandelbrot, Julia and Other Complex Maps

A tutorial on efficient computer graphics representations of the
Mandelbrot set (R. Rojas). Julia sets in the quaternions (A. Norton).
Self-similar sequences and chaos from Gauss sums (A. Lakhtakia, R.
Messier). Color maps generated by "trigonometric iteration loops" (M.
Michelitsch). A note on Halley's method (R. Reeves). A note on some
internal structures of the Mandelbrot set (K. J. Hopper ). The method of
secants (J.D. Jones). A generalized Mandelbrot set and the role of
critical points (M. Frame, J. Robertson). A new scaling along the spike
of the Mandelbrot set (M. Frame, A.G. Davis Philip, A. Robocci). Further
insights into Halley's method (R. Reeves). Visualizing the dynamics of
the Rayleigh quotient iteration (C.A. Reiter). The "burning ship" and
its quasi-Julia sets (M. Michelitsch, O. E. R?ssler). Field lines in
Mandelbrot set (K.W. Phillip). A tutorial on the visualization of
forward orbits associated with Siegel disks in the quadratic Julia sets
(G.T. Miller). Image generation by Blaschke products in the unit disk
(H.S. Kim, H.O. Kim, S.Y. Shin). An investigation of fractals generated
by z 1/z -n + c (K.W. Shirriff). Infinite-corner-point fractal image
generation by Newton's method for solving exp[-a ( + z)( - z)] -1 = 0
(Y.B. Kim, H.S. Kim, H.O. Kim, S.Y. Shin). Chaos and elliptic curves
(S.D. Balkin, E.L. Golebiewski, C.A. Reiter). Newton's methods for
multiple roots (W.J. Gilbert). Warped midgets in the Mandelbrot set
(A.G. Davis Philip, M. Frame, A. Robucci). Automatic generation of
general quadratic map basins (J.C. Sprott, C.A. Pickover). Part V.
Iterated Function Systems. Some nonlinear iterated function systems (M.
Frame, M. Angers). Balancing order and chaos in image generation (K.
Culik II, S. Dube). Estimating the spatial extent of attractors of
iterated function systems (D. Canright). Automatic generation of
iterated function systems (J.C. Sprott). Modelling and rendering of
nonlinear iterated function systems (E. Gr?ller).

 Computer Art

Automatic parallel generation of aeolian fractals on the IBM power
visualization system (C.A. Pickover). Julia set art and fractals in the
complex plane (I.D. Entwistle). Methods of displaying the behaviour of
the mapping z z2 + (I.D. Entwistle). AUTUMN - a recipe for artistic
fractal images (J.E. Loyless). Biomorphic mitosis (D. Stuedell).
Computer art representing the behavior of the Newton-Raphson method
(D.J. Walter). Systemized serendipity for producing computer art (D.
Walter). Computer art from Newton's, Secant, and Richardson's methods
(D. Walter).

1. Call for papers -- chaos, fractals, graphics

You are cordially invited to submit interesting, well-written articles
for the "Chaos and Graphics Section" of the international scientific
journal Computers and Graphics (Elsevier).  I edit this section, which
appears in each issue of the journal.  Topics include the
mathematical, scientific, and artistic application of fractals, chaos,
and related.  Your papers can be quite short if desired, for example,
often a page or two is sufficient to convey an idea and a pretty
graphic. ((The journal is peer-reviewed, which means that several
reviewers will judge whether the paper is suitably written,
attractive, relevant, or novel.)  I publish color, where appropriate.

GOALS

The goal of my section is to provide visual demonstrations of
complicated and beautiful structures which can arise in systems based
on simple rules.  The section presents papers on the seemingly
paradoxical combinations of randomness and structure in systems of
mathematical, physical, biological, electrical, chemical, and artistic
interest.  Topics include:  iteration, cellular automata, bifurcation
maps, fractals, dynamical systems, patterns of nature created from
simple rules, and aesthetic graphics drawn from the universe of
mathematics and art.

Write to me for submission guidelines.  Please remove the "Z" in my
e-mail address if sending me mail.

Regards, Cliff Pickover, http://www.pickover.com

2. Removing all of just one color

3. Call for papers: Chaos, fractals, graphics

4. Contour plots

5. 3d-card!?

6. Call for papers: chaos/fractals/graphics

7. MPEG1 or MPEG2 - Advice?

8. Call for papers: Chaos, fractals, graphics

9. Call for Papers: Chaos, Fractals, Graphics

10. Call for papers: Chaos, fractals, graphics

11. Call for Papers: Chaos, fractals, graphics

12. Call for papers: Fractals, chaos, graphics