Humorous anecdote

Post by J. Eric Townse » Thu, 13 Sep 1990 15:53:33

Went to lunch with a good (but non-technical) friend of mine the other
day.  On the way home, we were talking about what a nice day it was
for lying around and reading.  She mentioned that she'd gotten
a Joyce Carol Oates book I was looking for and was going to read it.

I said, "I wish I had time to read something fun, but I've got
to read some more ray tracing today for my special problems class."

She said, "Ray Tracing?  Who's that.  I don't think I've heard of him."

She thought it was funny only after I stopped laughing and took a few minutes
to explain it to her.

Tomorrow, I think I'm going to add a second name to my door (we have slots
for two as most RA's share offices): "Ray Tracing".
--
J. Eric Townsend -- University of Houston Dept. of Mathematics (713) 749-2120

Skate UNIX(r)

Humorous anecdote

Post by Michael McCo » Fri, 14 Sep 1990 03:33:55

Quote:>She said, "Ray Tracing?  Who's that.  I don't think I've heard of him."

For some reason the term seems to collect fun.  At SIGGRAPH in Dallas
this year the Ray-tracing course organizers kept bringing up the
"related fields" of rat-racing and tray-racing.  Last SIGGRAPH there
was a "tutourial video" on tray-racing that was shown; it involved
sliding trays down stairs, and gave examples of acceleration techniques, etc.
One wonders.

Humorous anecdote

Post by Michael McCo » Fri, 14 Sep 1990 03:35:48

Quote:>She said, "Ray Tracing?  Who's that.  I don't think I've heard of him."

I *meant* the term seems to collect *PUNS*.  See what I mean?

Humorous anecdote

Post by Greg Richter (2 » Sat, 15 Sep 1990 22:43:02

Quote:

>She said, "Ray Tracing?  Who's that.  I don't think I've heard of him."

We had a similar incident with a new secretary who informed me that a
saleman had called asking about our Gator Rays.  She wanted to know
if we were involved in animal testing.

:)

--
A fly can't bird but a bird can fly -    |
Ask me a question and I reply,           |
                                         | {emory,gatech}!bluemtn!greg

1. HUMOROUS IMAGERY FOR ALL

If pictures are measured in words, GWBush Art shouts volumes about the
coming election. Some describe GWBush Art as "first rate high brow
humor" while others characterize it more towards "puerile slapstick
meets cyberspace". Whichever one, GWBush Art exists to cause uproarious
laughter in all who walk through the galleries. Come share a laugh!

http://gwbushart.port5.com

After all, why politics if we cannot be entertained by its spectacle?

2. I Need a Motion JPEG clip for research purpose, can anyone help ??

3. Humorous list of colors?

4. Ray/Polygon set intersection question

5. Please Repost humorous SIGGRAPH 92 pre-program

6. scene reconstruction

7. Humorous Submissions

8. Printer, slightly humorous

9. Humorous Alien Animation!