Text at right angles

Post by Terry Pinnel » Mon, 13 May 2002 19:14:17

One of the handy things I've been able to do with help from PSP 6 is
to make maps of walks I've completed. (I use a program called GPS
Utility to download track data captured during the walk with my Garmin
GPS 12. In GPSU I calibrate it with an 'area map' prepared earlier
using downloaded Ordnance Survey maps from streetmap.co.uk, then edit
and print the result in PSP. A typical example, albeit about 350 Kb,
is at
http://www.terrypin.dial.pipex.com/Walks/SpotDog5Sep01.gif)

To add items of vertical text (such as those two on the right hand
side of the exampe), I use Rotate > Right > 90 deg directly after
placing the text. But I found that if that placed it in the 'hatched'
area outside the image then I could not move it. Providing *some* of
the floating text was inside the image, then I could move it to the
desired place. No great problem, but is there a cleverer way to do
this please?

Terry, West Sussex, UK

Text at right angles

Post by Ronald Vic » Mon, 13 May 2002 22:22:11

On Sun, 12 May 2002 11:14:17 +0100, Terry Pinnell

>One of the handy things I've been able to do with help from PSP 6 is
>to make maps of walks I've completed. (I use a program called GPS
>Utility to download track data captured during the walk with my Garmin
>GPS 12. In GPSU I calibrate it with an 'area map' prepared earlier
>using downloaded Ordnance Survey maps from streetmap.co.uk, then edit
>and print the result in PSP. A typical example, albeit about 350 Kb,
>is at
>http://www.terrypin.dial.pipex.com/Walks/SpotDog5Sep01.gif)

>To add items of vertical text (such as those two on the right hand
>side of the exampe), I use Rotate > Right > 90 deg directly after
>placing the text. But I found that if that placed it in the 'hatched'
>area outside the image then I could not move it. Providing *some* of
>the floating text was inside the image, then I could move it to the
>desired place. No great problem, but is there a cleverer way to do
>this please?

>Terry, West Sussex, UK

Try Vector text.  Even text completely outside the image can be
selected from the Layer Palette, then moved.  To get vector text, just
click the Vector radio button in the text box.

In addition, you can freehand resize by dragging a corner handle or
rotate by any angle by using the center rotate handle.

Jaggiemeister Ron - PSP terrorist
Questions? Answers at http://campratty.com/questions.html

Text at right angles

Post by Ronald Vic » Mon, 13 May 2002 22:39:35

>On Sun, 12 May 2002 11:14:17 +0100, Terry Pinnell

>>One of the handy things I've been able to do with help from PSP 6 is
>>to make maps of walks I've completed. (I use a program called GPS
>>Utility to download track data captured during the walk with my Garmin
>>GPS 12. In GPSU I calibrate it with an 'area map' prepared earlier
>>using downloaded Ordnance Survey maps from streetmap.co.uk, then edit
>>and print the result in PSP. A typical example, albeit about 350 Kb,
>>is at
>>http://www.terrypin.dial.pipex.com/Walks/SpotDog5Sep01.gif)

>>To add items of vertical text (such as those two on the right hand
>>side of the exampe), I use Rotate > Right > 90 deg directly after
>>placing the text. But I found that if that placed it in the 'hatched'
>>area outside the image then I could not move it. Providing *some* of
>>the floating text was inside the image, then I could move it to the
>>desired place. No great problem, but is there a cleverer way to do
>>this please?

>>Terry, West Sussex, UK

>Try Vector text.  Even text completely outside the image can be
>selected from the Layer Palette, then moved.  To get vector text, just
>click the Vector radio button in the text box.

>In addition, you can freehand resize by dragging a corner handle or
>rotate by any angle by using the center rotate handle.

BTW, if you've never used vector text before, one very big difference
between vector and raster is that once raster is placed in the image,
it's just a painting.  Vector retains all of the creation information,
until it's converted into painting.

This means you can select the text tool, position the cursor until it
shows an A in sq. brackets, click and go back into the text edit box
to correct the original text.

Also, as long as the text is vector, you can use the vector selection
tool to select it, Right click and have access to a list of nice
things to do the text... Properties is one I use often. Edit text,
etc.  experiment.

Jaggiemeister Ron - PSP terrorist
Questions? Answers at http://campratty.com/questions.html

Text at right angles

Post by Kris Zaklik » Tue, 14 May 2002 00:14:33

[snip]

Quote:> To add items of vertical text (such as those two on the right hand
> side of the exampe), I use Rotate > Right > 90 deg directly after
> placing the text. But I found that if that placed it in the 'hatched'
> area outside the image then I could not move it. Providing *some* of
> the floating text was inside the image, then I could move it to the
> desired place. No great problem, but is there a cleverer way to do
> this please?

Well, don't put the text outside the image canvas :) I'm
not clear exactly how you are creating the text but it
sounds like you are clicking in the image to lay down text
so the location of the rotation point takes the text off
the canvas when it is rotated. Try clicking where you want
the center of the text line to be and also setting center
justification. This should cause rotation about the center
of the text line. If you create your text as vector (i.e.
on a vector layer) the layer can be dragged in and out of
the canvas. If you create your text as a selection and
then do Selections > Promote To Layer, the layer data can
again be dragged in and out of the canvas.

Quote:

> Terry, West Sussex, UK

Kris Zaklika              Jasc Software, Inc.                   The

Text at right angles

Post by Terry Pinnel » Tue, 14 May 2002 01:27:19

>Well, don't put the text outside the image canvas :) I'm
>not clear exactly how you are creating the text but it
>sounds like you are clicking in the image to lay down text
>so the location of the rotation point takes the text off
>the canvas when it is rotated. Try clicking where you want
>the center of the text line to be and also setting center
>justification. This should cause rotation about the center
>of the text line.

Thanks. Setting center justification fixes the immediate difficulty.

Quote:>If you create your text as vector (i.e.
>on a vector layer) the layer can be dragged in and out of
>the canvas.

Thanks both. I'll experiment with the vector alternative.

Quote:>If you create your text as a selection and
>then do Selections > Promote To Layer, the layer data can
>again be dragged in and out of the canvas.

Don't think I can be going about that correctly. I chose the Selection
option, placed some text, then, while it was still 'blurry', tried
Selections > Promote to Layer. But I got
"This operation could not be completed because the current layer does
not contain any active data within the current selection area."

Terry, West Sussex, UK

Text at right angles

Post by Terry Pinnel » Tue, 14 May 2002 01:30:15

>>Try Vector text.  Even text completely outside the image can be
>>selected from the Layer Palette, then moved.  To get vector text, just
>>click the Vector radio button in the text box.

>>In addition, you can freehand resize by dragging a corner handle or
>>rotate by any angle by using the center rotate handle.

>BTW, if you've never used vector text before, one very big difference
>between vector and raster is that once raster is placed in the image,
>it's just a painting.  Vector retains all of the creation information,
>until it's converted into painting.

>This means you can select the text tool, position the cursor until it
>shows an A in sq. brackets, click and go back into the text edit box
>to correct the original text.

>Also, as long as the text is vector, you can use the vector selection
>tool to select it, Right click and have access to a list of nice
>things to do the text... Properties is one I use often. Edit text,
>etc.  experiment.

Thanks, that's looking good. Never really got the hang of Vector mode
until now. It's handy! Takes a bit of skill to get the operation I'm
after, but I guess that comes with practice. Is it normal to have to
zoom in first so that you can accurately select stretch, move, edit,
rotate, etc?

Terry, West Sussex, UK

Text at right angles

Post by Kris Zaklik » Tue, 14 May 2002 01:45:25

[snip]

Quote:> >If you create your text as a selection and
> >then do Selections > Promote To Layer, the layer data can
> >again be dragged in and out of the canvas.

> Don't think I can be going about that correctly. I chose the Selection
> option, placed some text, then, while it was still 'blurry',

To avoid confusion let's replace the "while it was still
'blurry'" with "while it still had a selection marquee
(i.e. marching ants)".

Quote:> tried
> Selections > Promote to Layer. But I got
> "This operation could not be completed because the current layer does
> not contain any active data within the current selection area."

That's because you placed your text as a selection but did
not put anything in the selection. If you had put it somewhere
(e.g. a new layer with solid fill) where there was actual
data to select then you wouldn't get the message. The point
is that you can put your text down in the middle of the
image (i.e. far from where you ultimately want it but where
data exist), promote it to a layer, fill it with anything
you want, rotate it however you want, and drag it to wherever
you want. That's the beauty of layers. However, in your case,
where all you want is simple solid text, the vector text
route is the way to go.

Quote:> Terry, West Sussex, UK

Kris Zaklika              Jasc Software, Inc.                   The

Text at right angles

Post by Ronald Vic » Tue, 14 May 2002 02:04:28

On Sun, 12 May 2002 17:30:15 +0100, Terry Pinnell

>>>Try Vector text.  Even text completely outside the image can be
>>>selected from the Layer Palette, then moved.  To get vector text, just
>>>click the Vector radio button in the text box.

>>>In addition, you can freehand resize by dragging a corner handle or
>>>rotate by any angle by using the center rotate handle.

>>BTW, if you've never used vector text before, one very big difference
>>between vector and raster is that once raster is placed in the image,
>>it's just a painting.  Vector retains all of the creation information,
>>until it's converted into painting.

>>This means you can select the text tool, position the cursor until it
>>shows an A in sq. brackets, click and go back into the text edit box
>>to correct the original text.

>>Also, as long as the text is vector, you can use the vector selection
>>tool to select it, Right click and have access to a list of nice
>>things to do the text... Properties is one I use often. Edit text,
>>etc.  experiment.

>Thanks, that's looking good. Never really got the hang of Vector mode
>until now. It's handy! Takes a bit of skill to get the operation I'm
>after, but I guess that comes with practice. Is it normal to have to
>zoom in first so that you can accurately select stretch, move, edit,
>rotate, etc?

>Terry, West Sussex, UK

To tell the truth, I didn't think many people expanded the working
window larger than the image.  That's the only way to show that cross
hatch area.   In the past, dragging a selection off image was a
acceptable way to delete the dragged item.

If you have a wheel mouse, the wheel controls zoom, and it's a very
easy thing to zoom in and out.  You may have noticed the zoom
operations tend to work with the window sizing to the image.

(Incidently, wheel mouse control is built into PSP, and you should set
the standard wheel operation off for the PSP program in the control
panel.)

But yes, you normally zoom in to get at the fine control.

Jaggiemeister Ron - PSP terrorist
Questions? Answers at http://campratty.com/questions.html

1. getting the text just right

I have an oval shaped image that I spiffied up and would like some text to kind
of curve along with it. I know I can use Illustrator for this but am not sure
how I can use Photoshop and Illustrator to curve my text around the image...

any help?

thanks lots

2. Can gnuplot display xgraph files ?

3. Graphical text and angle

4. Loaders available for OpenGL Optimizer?

5. Turbo C and text at an angle ?

6. |||||||||| LC Color Problem - HELP ||||||||||||

7. right justified 2d text

8. MAX 2.0 Upgrade Installation

9. Right to left Text display

10. Angled text

11. (PM6.5) Text is being clipped on right side of page

12. Screen text recognition from a right click (like Babylon)

13. Drawing Text at an angle WITH a character underlined