help!!

Post by Ajay Manchepal » Wed, 21 Feb 1996 04:00:00

Hello everybody

I was wondering if some of u could help me out in deciding on a good
scanner. this is for our school news team(only students).

i have looked into many, but thought if i can find something that isnt in
my and is better, then why not!!

thanks

ajay

help!!

Post by cou.. » Thu, 22 Feb 1996 04:00:00

If you have the budget get an Agfa or Epson.  If you get a cheaper scanner
you might be disappointed and wished you got a better one.  And if you
have the bucks the Nikon Coolscan is great but scans slides and negatives
only and not big formats.

--
NO ON 197
http://west.net/~cougar/

help!!

Post by a gno » Sat, 24 Feb 1996 04:00:00

> Hello everybody

> I was wondering if some of u could help me out in deciding on a good
> scanner. this is for our school news team(only students).

> i have looked into many, but thought if i can find something that isnt in
> my and is better, then why not!!

> thanks

> ajay

I assume that since it's for school news, you won't be doing many full color
printing jobs. If so, check out any of the UMAX lines. I have a UMAX UC630
(600 dpi, 24 bit color), and while I wouldn't recommend it for professional
color use, it's wonderful for greyscale & lineart and occasional color use.
Definitely good enough for color on newsprint stock.

The UC630 is a three-pass scanner, which are cheaper now, but go for
a single-pass if you can. Avoids registration problems, you know.

paul