Magazine site design contest

Post by Jed Hartma » Sun, 16 Jul 2000 04:00:00

[Based on the postings I've been reading here, I'm hoping this isn't
too far offtopic.  It's certainly closer to being on-topic than those
crosspost spams...  But I guess that's not saying much.  --jed]

Strange Horizons Design Contest

Can you create a look? A feel? An atmosphere?
Enter the Strange Horizons Graphic Design Contest!
Win $250!

We're Strange Horizons, and we're looking for someone to create a look
for us -- help design our website! We're looking for a specific feel
that will bring across the attitude and outlook of our speculative
fiction magazine. If you can provide the web design we're looking for,
you'll win $250! And, of course, you will be credited publicly on the
site when it goes up.

Who We Are:

We are a weekly professional online magazine devoted to encouraging and
publishing quality speculative fiction, poetry, artwork and related
nonfiction. We explore both the possible and the impossible. We delve
into human and nonhuman experiences, dreams and reality, the past, the
future, the here-and-now and the otherwhere-and-elsewhen. We present
science fiction and fantasy, from the hard-edged and real to worlds not
yet discovered.

What We're Looking For (in Terms of Function):

Your design should be a set of web pages (a working mockup of the
site). It should include any layout and navigation code, a
table-of-contents page, navigation bars, and a sample content page (a
mock story, for instance). Content pages and the table of contents
should contain dummy text in appropriate typefaces. Links should work,
though they can go to dummy pages, containing dummy content. Some
requirements for inclusion (with examples):

1. Modular pages with navigation separated from content (such as a
framed site).

2. Links to chat, books, feedback, the archive, submission guidelines,
links, and an "about us" section (in a top navigation bar, for
instance).

3. Links to articles, fiction, images, poetry, reviews, editorials, and
the home page/table of contents (in a left navigation bar, for
instance).

4. A table of contents which includes section headings, listings, and a
copyright statement.

NOTE: The design should be compatible to the greatest extent possible
with the full range of browsers and connection speeds.

The ideal design will feature thoughtful use of graphical elements with
a striking look, without taking an excessive time to download on a
standard modem connection. Any design that relies heavily on features
only available on a single brand or version of browser will be
rejected. In the case of elements such as frames, which are supported
by many (but not all) browsers, the design should degrade gracefully,
or provide the page content in an alternate form.

What We're Looking For (in Terms of Form):

Please look at the usual sci-fi magazine website design... and then
come up with something utterly different. We're looking for original,
striking, new and unusual. Form and function must be integrated
seamlessly, design never overwhelming the bones and meat of the
magazine.

If you think you can provide us with the world -- our world -- please
create and post your submission on a website (free sites are available
at Yahoo! Geocities, Internettrash.com, and Xoom.com). Then send us the

mind:

easy to read
elegant
clean
striking
restrained
science fiction
fantasy

The Fiddly Bits:

Submissions must be received by July 31, 2000; entries received after
that date will be ineligible.

You may enter up to 3 designs -- but we'd rather see one really
excellent one.

Please include your name and your email address.

Selection of a winner will be made by the editors; all decisions are
final.

The winning entry becomes the exclusive property of the magazine, and
by entering you agree that we may, if you win, employ your design as
the website for Strange Horizons, with no further obligation to or
permission from you.

Contestants will be notified of results by e-mail on or before August
31, 2000.

Thanks for your support, and we look forward to your entries!

Mary Anne Mohanraj, Editor-in-Chief

Post by Judi Soh » Sun, 16 Jul 2000 04:00:00

> Strange Horizons Design Contest

> Can you create a look? A feel? An atmosphere?
> Enter the Strange Horizons Graphic Design Contest!
> Win $250!

> We're Strange Horizons, and we're looking for someone to create a look
> for us -- help design our website! We're looking for a specific feel
> that will bring across the attitude and outlook of our speculative
> fiction magazine. If you can provide the web design we're looking for,
> you'll win $250! And, of course, you will be credited publicly on the
> site when it goes up.

You have got to be kidding. A $250 prize???? Oh wow, does the winner get
a t-shirt too? <g>

--
Judi Sohn

http://www.momathome.com                          http://www.ccalliance.org

Magazine site design contest

Post by Lee » Mon, 17 Jul 2000 04:00:00

By jove...I think I've got it!!!

White text on a white background will capture the attitude perfectly!

Quote:

> Can you create a look? A feel? An atmosphere?
> Win $250!

> We're looking for a specific feel
> that will bring across the attitude and outlook of our speculative
> fiction magazine.

1. Web magazine design Contest

Hi Everyone,

I'm soon gonna lauch couple of web magazines - Music,Youth (and maybe
IT in the future) magazine - and I need a design for each of them.

Design requirements:
+ The design(s) need to look professional and eye catching, at the
same time simple enough.
+ Ideally the design would look similar to some non-online paper
newspaper.
+ The design should support multiple columns
+ The links should be text based and there should also be place to
add second level links
+ There should be spots for galleries list, forums list as well as
login fields.
+ Width of the design should fit good with 800*600 resolution, but at
the same time also with 1024*768 and higher.

Info about the magazines:
+ The music magazine name is ArtistBoost and it will be publishing
articles from different music events, interviews with musicians, etc.
The displaying domain will be www.artistboost.com

+ The youth magazine name is Absurdiprojekt (in english it means
Absurd Project) and it will be mainly entertaining magazine for ages
15-25. The domain for it will be www.absurdiprojekt.com

The contest winner(s) will get free advertising space in the
magazine, contacts for possible paid work in the future, you also get
to show you're the best and if wanted, we will also provide you a php-
mysql enabled hosting (and email) account. Unfortunately no money, as
I don't intend to start making money with these projects, but just
make good magazines.

Deadline: 7 days from now

Best regards
Siim Einfeldt

2. I need Dynodex 3.5 & American Heritage

3. design a logo for our magazine contest

4. half-timbering texture

5. Web magazine design Contest

6. CHAT: LUMINOUS VISIONS ANIMATOR YOICHIRO KAWAGUCHI

7. Creative bookmark designs needed for Bookmark Design Contest

8. HELP: Loading Bitmap from Package Res File

9. Free web site design, web site backgrounds, web site layouts resources

10. SHOW OF YOUR DESIGN AND WORK ON MY DESIGN-SITE

11. magazine design