Looking for 3D Visualization Software for Linux

Looking for 3D Visualization Software for Linux

Post by Oleg » Wed, 28 Aug 2002 14:03:58

Hi

I'm looking for free 3D visualization software for Linux that would let me
build 3D models from simple shapes (such as sticks and spheres, etc.) and
their coordinates and color, and would allow me to rotate that model
interactively with the mouse.

The closest thing that I found [1] is xbs. Unfortunately, the program is a
little too primitive (I even had to modify the source to allow over 50
elements in the input file. It also does not allow me to rotate the model
smoothly)

TIA
Oleg

[1] with apt-get search visualization | grep -i 3d

Post by Richard Hatc » Wed, 28 Aug 2002 16:48:26

> Hi

> I'm looking for free 3D visualization software for Linux that would let me
> build 3D models from simple shapes (such as sticks and spheres, etc.) and
> their coordinates and color, and would allow me to rotate that model
> interactively with the mouse.

> The closest thing that I found [1] is xbs. Unfortunately, the program is a
> little too primitive (I even had to modify the source to allow over 50
> elements in the input file. It also does not allow me to rotate the model
> smoothly)

> TIA
> Oleg

> [1] with apt-get search visualization | grep -i 3d

It may be more complex than what you're looking for, but Blender is an
excellent free 3d tool, available for a variety of platforms, including
several flavors of Linux, and about to be _opensource_ ;-)
http://www.blender3d.com for more info + download links.

Post by Daniel Pfennige » Wed, 28 Aug 2002 15:30:39

> I'm looking for free 3D visualization software for Linux that would let me
> build 3D models from simple shapes (such as sticks and spheres, etc.) and
> their coordinates and color, and would allow me to rotate that model
> interactively with the mouse.

http://vpython.org/

There are a lot of other software links at SAL
(scientific applications on Linux):

http://sal.kachinatech.com/sal1.shtml

        Dan

Looking for 3D Visualization Software for Linux

Post by Dan Johnsto » Wed, 28 Aug 2002 20:54:49

If you are looking for 3D development like "the big guys do" then
download the free Linux version of SGI's Performer.  Everything
for interactive 3D environments and more.  You can also get a
copy of VRCO's CAVElib for Linux.  Also look at
- VRjuggler
- VESS
- WireGL

and on and on and on...

Performer is a very mature 3D API.  Fast and reliable. An active
discussion group.  Take a look!

Dan Johnston

--
      ___|__    |
      /  |  \   ||\      Daniel (Dan) Johnston

    _____|____  ||  \    National Research Council of Canada, London, ON
    |    |    | ||   \   Integrated Manufacturing Technologies Institute
\___|    |    | ||____\  Tel: (519) 430-7081   Fax: (519) 430-7090
 \_o_\___|____|_|______\_    Inst: http://www.nrc.ca/imti
  \                o /    These opinions are my own! Not those of NRC.
   \________________/    Virtual Reality:
                        http://www.nrc.ca/imti/vetc/home.html
 More Tall Ships - Fewer Computers!

Post by Oleg » Thu, 29 Aug 2002 03:26:06

> [...]
> VTK is used a lot, i believe, but I have no direct experience with this
> tool.
> [...]

I already spent a couple of hours trying to learn VTK, and I think I'm
still a few hours away from getting it to do what I need, which is much
simpler than what VTK provides. Ideally, I'd like to have a stand-alone
program that parses files like

// etc.

Or I could use a C++ library with the same level of simplicity. Using VTK
seems like an overkill (even though it does provide primitives like sphere
and cylinder)

BTW after VTK draws your model, can you change, say, sphere colors or do
you completely relinquish control once Start() member function is called?

TIA
Oleg
--
"It's because they're stupid, that's why. That's why
everybody does everything." -- Homer Simpson.

Post by Jeremy Winsto » Thu, 29 Aug 2002 04:53:30

> > [...]
> > VTK is used a lot, i believe, but I have no direct experience with this
> > tool.
> > [...]

> I already spent a couple of hours trying to learn VTK, and I think I'm
> still a few hours away from getting it to do what I need, which is much
> simpler than what VTK provides. Ideally, I'd like to have a stand-alone
> program that parses files like

> // etc.

VTK comes with a Tcl wrapper that will allow you to do this
(write a parser for that kind of file) fairly easily in Tcl.

Quote:> Or I could use a C++ library with the same level of simplicity. Using VTK
> seems like an overkill (even though it does provide primitives like sphere
> and cylinder)

If you're going to do this on your own in C++ on Linux, you'd need
to use the OpenGL API.  Since VTK can already do all this for you &
is written in C++, using VTK seems like the path of least resistence.

Quote:> BTW after VTK draws your model, can you change, say, sphere colors or do
> you completely relinquish control once Start() member function is called?

You have full control.  If you use the Tcl/Tk wrapper, you can write a Tk
GUI and click buttons to change colors, or you can just enter the commands
to change the attributes at the Tcl command prompt.

If you go w/VTK, I recommend buying:
"VTK User's Guide" (http://www.kitware.com/products/vtkguide.html),
"The Visualization Toolkit" (http://public.kitware.com/VTK/buy-books.php),
and maybe also Tcl and the Tk Toolkit (Addison-Wesley, ISBN 0-201-63337-X),
all of which I am reading now.

HTH,
-Jeremy

VTK:  http://public.kitware.com/VTK/

Post by Jeremy Winsto » Thu, 29 Aug 2002 09:43:35

> > > [...]
> > > VTK is used a lot, i believe, but I have no direct experience with this
> > > tool.

> > I already spent a couple of hours trying to learn VTK, and I think I'm
> > still a few hours away from getting it to do what I need, which is much
> > simpler than what VTK provides. Ideally, I'd like to have a stand-alone
> > program that parses files like

> > // etc.

> VTK comes with a Tcl wrapper that will allow you to do this
> (write a parser for that kind of file) fairly easily in Tcl.

Just for S&G, since I am learning VTK myself, I spent a few minutes
and cobbled together Tcl code from a couple of the examples in the
"Vizualization Toolkit" text and CD.

If you already have VTK installed, with the Tcl/Tk wrapper, you should
be able to run the attached script.

Once it's running, press the 'u' key to invoke the user defined function,
which in this case pops up a vtk Interactor window.

You can enter any Tcl command you want and see the results in the
render window.

For example, you can change the color of the sphere to red by entering

     [sphereActor GetProperty] SetColor 1 0 0
     renWin Render

HTH,
-Jeremy

  Sphere.tcl
< 1K Download

Looking for 3D Visualization Software for Linux

Post by cm » Mon, 23 Sep 2002 23:18:17

how about aliaswavefront's maya?

final fantasy, levi's spot, spider man, ...

Quote:> Hi

> I'm looking for free 3D visualization software for Linux that would let me
> build 3D models from simple shapes (such as sticks and spheres, etc.) and
> their coordinates and color, and would allow me to rotate that model
> interactively with the mouse.

> The closest thing that I found [1] is xbs. Unfortunately, the program is a
> little too primitive (I even had to modify the source to allow over 50
> elements in the input file. It also does not allow me to rotate the model
> smoothly)

> TIA
> Oleg

> [1] with apt-get search visualization | grep -i 3d

Looking for 3D Visualization Software for Linux

Post by bourass » Fri, 04 Oct 2002 02:23:05

Maybe ArtOfIllusion (http://www.artofillusion.org/) and the like which
are bonafide modelling programs?  Or what about
PyMol(http://pymol.sourceforge.net/)if you're really into the
molecule-like stuff?

> Hi

> I'm looking for free 3D visualization software for Linux that would let me
> build 3D models from simple shapes (such as sticks and spheres, etc.) and
> their coordinates and color, and would allow me to rotate that model
> interactively with the mouse.

> The closest thing that I found [1] is xbs. Unfortunately, the program is a
> little too primitive (I even had to modify the source to allow over 50
> elements in the input file. It also does not allow me to rotate the model
> smoothly)

> TIA
> Oleg

> [1] with apt-get search visualization | grep -i 3d

1. Particle/aggregate visualization software on Linux

Hi,

I am looking for Visualization software for LINUX that can be used to
visualize particles,
eg. collection of cluster of spheres. I would like to use this
capability to simulate
collection of small rocks, loose earthen aggregate etc..

Any pointers would be very much appreciated

Thanks

RAZ

PS: I am cross posting this in several newsgroups. Sorry for any
repetition.

2. Graphics Artists, PC Programmers, Musicians...

3. Looking for software for visualization of tetraherdal meshes.

4. Processor Performance Project(Volunteers Needed)

5. :Looking for visualization software on OS/2

6. Free AVI resources?

7. Looking for: Visualization software for 486

8. EIAS Mr. Nitro effect

9. Looking for Volume Visualization Software ...

10. looking for realtime visualization software

11. Looking for info on available visualization software

12. free 3D medical image visualization software for Windows95

13. free medical image 3D visualization software for Windows95