Convert TIFF to GIF

Post by John Grange » Fri, 25 Feb 2000 04:00:00

I'm trying to convert a scanned TIFF to a GIF so that I may make it
transparent. Photoshop will not allow me to save a TIFF as a GIF so I
use Hijack to convert TIFF to GIF. Trouble is that I get lines of pixels
and faded * tones in the resulting GIF.

Any ideas how to get a good quality GIF from a TIFF.??

Thanks,
John

Convert TIFF to GIF

Post by Kasey Chan » Sat, 26 Feb 2000 04:00:00

> I'm trying to convert a scanned TIFF to a GIF so that I may make it
> transparent. Photoshop will not allow me to save a TIFF as a GIF so I
> use Hijack to convert TIFF to GIF. Trouble is that I get lines of pixels
> and faded * tones in the resulting GIF.
> Any ideas how to get a good quality GIF from a TIFF.??

You're not going to get both. TIFF supports 24-bit color, GIF does not. GIF
supports tranparency, TIFF does not. The closest you can get is use
dithering when you reduce the palette, and you need to make choices when
you resample the image down to 256 colors. Use something like Paintshop Pro
or Irfanview perhaps...

Convert TIFF to GIF

Post by Gerhard Hube » Sat, 26 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> > I'm trying to convert a scanned TIFF to a GIF so that I may make it
> > transparent. Photoshop will not allow me to save a TIFF as a GIF so
> > use Hijack to convert TIFF to GIF. Trouble is that I get lines of
pixels
> > and faded * tones in the resulting GIF.
> > Any ideas how to get a good quality GIF from a TIFF.??
> You're not going to get both. TIFF supports 24-bit color, GIF does
not. GIF
> supports tranparency, TIFF does not. The closest you can get is use
> dithering when you reduce the palette, and you need to make choices
when
> you resample the image down to 256 colors. Use something like
Paintshop Pro
> or Irfanview perhaps...

TIFF does also support transparency. It supports real transparency
instead of GIF which has only a transparent color. If your software
doesn't support it, it's a problem of your software.

--
Gerhard Huber

PhotoLine 32 Shareware imaging software Windows and MacOS
http://www.veryComputer.com/

Convert TIFF to GIF

Post by Judy Lit » Tue, 29 Feb 2000 04:00:00

> I'm trying to convert a scanned TIFF to a GIF so that I may make it
> transparent. Photoshop will not allow me to save a TIFF as a GIF so I
> use Hijack to convert TIFF to GIF. Trouble is that I get lines of pixels
> and faded * tones in the resulting GIF.

Photoshop can save a GIF from a TIFF - I do it all the time. But, you
need to go to Image|Mode|Indexed color

However, as has been mentioned, GIFs only support 256 colors. That's
part of why you're getting faded * tones.

It sounds like you might be better off converting to JPG, if that's an
option.

--
Judy Litt/QuaLitty Design  About.com Guide to Graphic Design/Austin
http://www.veryComputer.com/; http://www.veryComputer.com/

1. Convert Tiff>GIF

what's the best way to convert a bunch of tiff files over to gifs? I
eventually want to create a gif anim...

I know some one out there isn't doing it all by hand..

                                                joe d.

2. Mac users

3. Converting TIFF to GIF *and* scale picture?

4. Serach paths in BMRT for Win32

5. Converting TIFF to GIF

6. Beginner Maze Rendering

7. convert tiff into gif?

8. Forms: Docking to screen edge and getting rid of titlebar

9. GIF->TIFF & TIFF->GIF

10. Converting ps to tiff or gif

11. converting from tiff to gif or jpeg

12. Help! Convert gif/tiff to cgm

13. Program to Convert Tiff(Compressed) to Gif