PSP6 on W2k slows extremly down even with a small selection

PSP6 on W2k slows extremly down even with a small selection

Post by Bernd Kle » Sat, 21 Oct 2000 04:00:00

Hi

I used PSP6 on my old P233 64MB for a long time without any problems.
(...well of course with poor performance, but I lived with it...)

Now on my brand new AMD700 with 256MB and a GeForce2 32MB it runs like
hell. But even with a small (i.e. 400x400 Pixel) selection in a
600x600 image it slows extremely down.
And believe me I mean EXTREMELY !

Task Manager tells me CPU usage at about 30%, well that`s not much,
but the cursor moves choppy like in a slideshow and navigation in the
menus is really difficult.
As soon as I switch to another image or application everything is back
to normal.
Doesn`t make sense to me because the overall performance is perfect.

As I mentioned in the subject, this only happens in Win2000 !?

anyone got a clue ?

Bernd

PSP6 on W2k slows extremly down even with a small selection

Post by Joe From » Sat, 21 Oct 2000 04:00:00

I would look into upgrading the video drivers on the GeForce card.  It is
probably having trouble drawing the selection marquee, something we have
seen with other video cards.  I had the same problem with my TNT2 card on my
old machine, but on my new system a GeForce 2 card with the Detonator
drivers (6.18 I think) works fine.

--
Joe Fromm
Senior Software Engineer

Quote:> Hi

> I used PSP6 on my old P233 64MB for a long time without any problems.
> (...well of course with poor performance, but I lived with it...)

> Now on my brand new AMD700 with 256MB and a GeForce2 32MB it runs like
> hell. But even with a small (i.e. 400x400 Pixel) selection in a
> 600x600 image it slows extremely down.
> And believe me I mean EXTREMELY !

> Task Manager tells me CPU usage at about 30%, well that`s not much,
> but the cursor moves choppy like in a slideshow and navigation in the
> menus is really difficult.
> As soon as I switch to another image or application everything is back
> to normal.
> Doesn`t make sense to me because the overall performance is perfect.

> As I mentioned in the subject, this only happens in Win2000 !?

> anyone got a clue ?

> Bernd

PSP6 on W2k slows extremly down even with a small selection

Post by iwuehn usdhfs » Sun, 29 Oct 2000 03:53:39

I can't imagine what PSP does with the selection marquee that requires
a video card faster than a TNT2 Ultra. I mean sheesh, Quake can draw
itself at 60+fps in high quality mode, but PSP6 and 7 can't draw
moving dashes?

Quote:>I would look into upgrading the video drivers on the GeForce card.  It is
>probably having trouble drawing the selection marquee, something we have
>seen with other video cards.  I had the same problem with my TNT2 card on my
>old machine, but on my new system a GeForce 2 card with the Detonator
>drivers (6.18 I think) works fine.

PSP6 on W2k slows extremly down even with a small selection

Post by Porte » Sun, 29 Oct 2000 05:09:45

Quote:> I can't imagine what PSP does with the selection marquee that requires
> a video card faster than a TNT2 Ultra. I mean sheesh, Quake can draw
> itself at 60+fps in high quality mode, but PSP6 and 7 can't draw
> moving dashes?

Advising someone to download the latest drivers for their card is quite
different from telling them to get a faster card.

Video driver updates are generally found on the downloads or support pages
of your manufacturer's website.  We get the download & install it ... often
with user prompts along the way to lead people through the process.

> >I would look into upgrading the video drivers on the GeForce card.  It is
> >probably having trouble drawing the selection marquee, something we have
> >seen with other video cards.  I had the same problem with my TNT2 card on
my
> >old machine, but on my new system a GeForce 2 card with the Detonator
> >drivers (6.18 I think) works fine.

1. IVF and multiple selection : a slow down !

Hello

I noticed that under NT /MFC (IVF projects) multiple selections cause a real
slow down.

I have written an application from a IVF sceneviewer template. It is very
noticeable that the more items I select in a multiple selection the slower
the simulation runs!

I use the SoSelection node from the sceneviewer object : in the
OnInitialUpdate() method I wrote :

 CView::OnInitialUpdate();

 IvfOnInitialUpdate(this) ;

 m_pSelectionNode =m_pSV->getSelection();

 OnViewExaminer();

Now in my scenegraph I have two subgraphs . The first contains the vertices,
the other the faces. This way I can select faces only or vertices only.
Each subgraph has its own pickStyle node.

It this slow down unavoidable ?

thanks for your help

Cyril

2. POV newsgroup - update #1

3. New Installation. startup extremly slow

4. Slideshow -> Pictureshow

5. Extremly fast selection algo WHERE HOW

6. Cropping EXACTLY 256 Pixel Cube?????????????????????

7. PSP6.02 & W2K

8. fraxflame slow even on p4

9. Slow even with a PIII 750 with 300+RAM

10. 3D accelerator performance (was: Slow down processors)

11. entropy slowed down