FTP SITE FOR 3D OBJECT MODELS/UTILITIES

Post by Jeff.Lindst.. » Wed, 04 Nov 1992 19:34:34

  When it comes to a central database for 3D objects, everyone seems to be
considering only the shape of the object.  Even if polygon shapes were allowed
(such as used in POV-Ray, DKBTrace, etc.), we are still not considering
surface texture, reflectivity, specularity, etc.

  Also, the application of pictures as brush maps has not been considered, let
alone the colors of the individual polygons.  This will certainly not be a
trivial project.

  I do not think that .DXF would be the ideal format, but it may well be the
most useful.

--- Maximus 2.00

1. FTP SITE FOR 3D OBJECT MODELS/UTILITIES

Hello. It seems that there are always people here asking for information
on such sites, but there appear to be very little responses. Is there
any such site avaliable... a "central" site for 3D object models and
utilities?

If there isn't, we may just start one. We do a lot of work here using
Wavefront on SGI and HP machines, and already have a good number of objects
that we can make available for ftp. However, we don't want to have another
of the many sites out there with just a handful of files - that's the way
it is now and good stuff is scattered all over the net and is hard to track
down. So, if there is interest, we are willing to start up an anon ftp site
that will specialize in 3D graphics - object files (databases, libraries),
converters, utilities, textures... mostly for Wavefront but we'd be willing
to support others as well.

So... is there interest? Is there already such a site out there I don't know
about (so I don't have to waste my time doing this - instead, we'd be willing
to contribute what we have in order to centralize things)? Post, or respond by

OBdisclaimer: No promises or guarantees!
--

disclaimer: "Opinions expressed here are mine. Typos and errors are all yours."

2. Rendering for Print

3. Any ftp sites for Wavefront object models?

4. import a 3ds file into an existing openGL file

5. 3D object models/utilities

6. DLL to display picture files?

7. FOLLOW-UP: FTP SITE FOR 3D MODELS/UTILS

8. FTP Site for 3D objects now OPEN!

9. Follow-up #2: FTP SITE FOR 3D MODELS...

10. MORE ON 3D MODEL FORMATS, FTP SITE, etc

11. ftp sites for 3D models

12. FTP sites for 3D objects