Help help help.for newbie PLEASE

Post by Mac Ro » Sat, 23 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Greetings.

I have a PowerPC and want to produce mumerous pages of geneology
history/info using Pagemaker 6.

I have dozens of half tones I need scanned, but not a lot of space left
on the hard disk where I would like to keep them because I will use them
often

What would you experts suggest I scan them as, to save HD space (but
also remembering that I need quality reproduction).

Tiff, or gif or jpg, or what? I have Photoshop but haven't learned to
use it yet.

Can anyone please help a newbie to this lark?

Sue H

--

Help help help.for newbie PLEASE

Post by dani » Sat, 23 Jan 1999 04:00:00

go jpeg, forget the rest

> Greetings.

> I have a PowerPC and want to produce mumerous pages of geneology
> history/info using Pagemaker 6.

> I have dozens of half tones I need scanned, but not a lot of space left
> on the hard disk where I would like to keep them because I will use them
> often

> What would you experts suggest I scan them as, to save HD space (but
> also remembering that I need quality reproduction).

> Tiff, or gif or jpg, or what? I have Photoshop but haven't learned to
> use it yet.

> Can anyone please help a newbie to this lark?

> Sue H

Help help help.for newbie PLEASE

Post by Frank O'Conn » Sat, 23 Jan 1999 04:00:00

G'day Sue,

If the problems are lack of HD space, and need to use with Photoshop ...
I'd suggest JPG. About 300 times smaller than TIFF, about half as small as
GIF, can contain a heap more colour information than TIF or GIF.

                                                Regards,

--
***************************
A father is a banker provided by nature.

Help help help.for newbie PLEASE

Post by Jaso » Sat, 23 Jan 1999 04:00:00

I suggest GIF, not JPEG. The reason is that you are scanning HALFTONES.
The JPEG algorithm will cause the graphic to develop blocky artefacts around
edges of certain objects, and with halftones these artefacts will show up.
GIF is suitable for saving halftones, since GIF uses a limited colour palette.

Post by Holger Va » Sat, 23 Jan 1999 04:00:00

>  If the problems are lack of HD space, and need to use with Photoshop ...
>  I'd suggest JPG. About 300 times smaller than TIFF, about half as small as
>  GIF, can contain a heap more colour information than TIF or GIF.

very inaccurate info!!
there are circumstances when GIF is much more efficient than JPEG (e.g.
screenshots w/o lots of color variation). and your remark about JPEG
containing more color info than TIFF is just plain BS. TIFF may contain at
least 16 bits per channel, while JPEG manages only 8 bits.

--
Holger Vaga
Use "holger at pm dot ee" to respond. Thanks!

Help help help.for newbie PLEASE

Post by Holger Va » Sat, 23 Jan 1999 04:00:00

>  >What would you experts suggest I scan them as, to save HD space (but
>  >also remembering that I need quality reproduction).

... but also remembering that quality reproduction has it's own
requirements (e.g. big hard disks). Using "workarounds" like JPEG may
conserve your HD, but won't give you Quality Reproduction.

rgds,

--
Holger Vaga
Use "holger at pm dot ee" to respond. Thanks!

Help help help.for newbie PLEASE

Post by Andrew Spence » Sat, 23 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Reagrdless of file formats, if you're that short of disk space you're likely
to run into trouble with photoshop too! Photoshop uses its own virtual
memory system (called a scratch disk) which is in addition to any system
virtual memory scheme,  and depending on the size of your images you may
have real trouble.

I think one would normally use JPEG for storing photographs in this
situation, but because of the reduced colour information the idea of using
GIFs is probably worth a shot. If your files are to be professionally
printed your images would need to be CMYK rather than RGB, which effectively
discounts the GIF format though. You could also try saving them as TIFFs
with LZW compression. Depending on the image you may achieve really good
rates of compression, and the best quality output.

Many people also tend to overscan images, leading to unnecessary wastage.
Your photoshop manual should have some good advice on this, but 300ppi (at
the intended print size) should be OK.

Regards

Andrew Spencer

----------

> Greetings.

> I have a PowerPC and want to produce mumerous pages of geneology
> history/info using Pagemaker 6.

> I have dozens of half tones I need scanned, but not a lot of space left
> on the hard disk where I would like to keep them because I will use them
> often

> What would you experts suggest I scan them as, to save HD space (but
> also remembering that I need quality reproduction).

> Tiff, or gif or jpg, or what? I have Photoshop but haven't learned to
> use it yet.

> Can anyone please help a newbie to this lark?

> Sue H

> --

Help help help.for newbie PLEASE

Post by stuporm » Sat, 23 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Wow, so many newbies on this thread...

First, you are in trouble because you need lots of free disk space to use
Photoshop, and lots of free disk space to store images of any quality. So
step one is get a new hard disk.

Second, you want quality reproduction. To me, that means you want to
descreen the halftones (take out the little halftone dot patterns) and
perform tonal and color corrections so that you get your quality
reproduction. If you start by scanning as a highly compressed JPEG (a
lossy format), you throw out quality with every save, and as you do your
corrections and save as JPEG again and again, well, your images will be
trashed by the end. JPEG is a great final file format, but not great for
editing.

So I would say, scan into Photoshop format FIRST, to keep the original
scan's quality level while you do your various corrections and repeatedly
save, and finally save as JPEG Medium Quality LAST. (If your tests show
that JPEG Low Quality works well enough, then go with that.) Also, if you
are scanning black-and-white photos, you can save lots of disk space by
scanning in grayscale.

But, you never said what your desired level of quality was. Web page? Copy
machine? Printing press? Your answer to that one question will radically
alter your choices for things like resolution and compression.

Save yourself a bunch of headaches...go to the bookstore and get Real
World Photoshop by David Blatner and Steve Roth. (I am not affiliated with
them in any way.) I can't imagine anyone going into a project like yours
without reading a great book like that. Scanning, corrections, formats,
printing, it's all in there.

> go jpeg, forget the rest

> > Greetings.

> > I have a PowerPC and want to produce mumerous pages of geneology
> > history/info using Pagemaker 6.

> > I have dozens of half tones I need scanned, but not a lot of space left
> > on the hard disk where I would like to keep them because I will use them
> > often

> > What would you experts suggest I scan them as, to save HD space (but
> > also remembering that I need quality reproduction).

Help help help.for newbie PLEASE

Post by Gerhard Burc » Tue, 26 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Right said fred.

Help help help.for newbie PLEASE

Post by Gerhard Burc » Tue, 26 Jan 1999 04:00:00

GIF???  never it sipports only 256 colors and that's never
highquality!!!

Gerhard

Help help help.for newbie PLEASE

Post by Mike Jackso » Sat, 20 Feb 1999 04:00:00

the gif file format, as you mentioned is an 8-bit (256) one, designed for
efficient transfer over the internet. Typically you would use this format
for "graphic" or logo-like images for the web. Try Using the jpeg format
(.jpg) for higher quality photographic images with a small file size. Good
Luck

----------

Quote:> GIF???  never it sipports only 256 colors and that's never
> highquality!!!

> Gerhard

1. PLEASE HELP HELP HELP PLEASE HELP

HELP!!!!

All of the sudden when trying to use my Kais power tools and Aldus
Gallery Effects on even the SMALLEST image it saya that It has
insufficent memory(RAM) to perform the operation. This started
happening all of the sudden with NO system changes made by myself.
I am running Photoshop 3.0.4 with win 95 and the updates to ensure
compatibility with 16 bit plugins. My Alien Skin filters seem to work
as do the Standard Photoshop filters

PLEASE HELP IF YOU CAN!!!!

Thanks in advance
Lenny Terenzi

2. Cross processing action

3. *************Help Help Help Help Help Help Help Help Help************ Hardware lockup

4. I need help with a weird problem

5. Help needed...(please help a clueless newbie)

6. Bones???? TIA

7. HELP HELP HELP HELP HELPHELP HELP HELP HELP HELP

8. Hello from Vania

9. Newbie of newbie - help please !

10. Help, Help please Help

11. Help me Help Me Help Me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Gifcon (please)

12. Help Please,,,,Please Help

13. PLEASE HELP ME -- Scratch Memory full -- PLEASE HELP!