Renderman-like public domain tool available?

Renderman-like public domain tool available?

Post by Jeffrey Palm » Fri, 09 May 1997 04:00:00

Hey there,

Having just had to surrender my linux box, I find myself longing for a
Renderman-like renderer.  I played around with BMRT on linux, and
loved the flexibility of shaders and the shading language.  Is
anything similar available for POVRay (or any other free renderer)?

If this type of functionality is already available in POV, I must have
missed it.  I'd like to be able to do something like Larry Gritz's
parquet shader, etc.

        - Jeff

for life's not a paragraph           | Linux - The choice of a
And death i think is no parenthesis  |         GNU generation!

Post by Kari Kivisa » Sat, 10 May 1997 04:00:00

>Renderman-like renderer.  I played around with BMRT on linux, and
>loved the flexibility of shaders and the shading language.

http://www.povray.org/ftp/pub/povray/unofficial/patches/povman.tgz.txt:

    File: povman.tgz
    Size: 206692 bytes
    Date: 4/22/95
    Time: 4:45a
    Author: Bob Mercier

    Uploader: Bob Mercier

    Short: POV extension for Renderman style procedural shaders

    This is the source for a version of POV supporting Renderman style
    procedural shaders.  See these files for more information:

            slc/povman.doc
            ftp.povray.org:/pub/povray/incoming/images/povshade*

    Note that this code is for the Unix version and is source code
    only.  It is virtually guaranteed not to compile on DOS and
    includes no binaries.  Perhaps later...

Kari Kivisalo                              http://www.hut.fi/~kkivisal/

Post by Davi » Sat, 10 May 1997 04:00:00

>Hey there,

>Having just had to surrender my linux box, I find myself longing for a
>Renderman-like renderer.  I played around with BMRT on linux, and
>loved the flexibility of shaders and the shading language.  Is
>anything similar available for POVRay (or any other free renderer)?

>If this type of functionality is already available in POV, I must have
>missed it.  I'd like to be able to do something like Larry Gritz's
>parquet shader, etc.

>    - Jeff

You may want to try Polyray. It has a programable shading language
very close to renderman but with a few thing missing. I have been able
to mimic most of the renderman shaders I found on the net. It's a
raytracer, a little faster than POV and it has many things POV dont.

You can get it at ftp://ftp.povray.org/pub/polyray/

David

1. Announcing Public Domain Softimage to RenderMan Interface

SoRender is a public domain interactive graphical interface from
Softimage to the RenderMan standard.   The intention behind SoRender
was not only to translate Softimage scene information to the RenderMan
standard, but to enable an animator to use RenderMan as an extension of
the Softimage environment.  The interface is currently composed of
eight tools that are all written as plug-ins to Softimage and are built on
Softimage's DKit.

Some of SoRender's Features Include:

 Interactive Previewing of RenderMan rendered images from within Softimage.
 Interactive tools for working with shaders and adjusting parameters.
 Tools to make working with shadow maps and environment maps easier.
 Shader Keywords to facilitate parameter animation.
 Support of both PhotoRealistic RenderMan and BMRT.
 Access to all tools from within Softimage.
 Support of motion blur.

SoRender can be obtained at either:

 http://www-viz.tamu.edu/htdocs/Software/SoRender/SoRender.homepage.html

or

 ftp:  viz.tamu.edu/pub/software/SoRender.v1-0.tar.gz

dave
--
Not an Official Document of Texas A&M

Graduate Assistant System Administrator         Office: 416F Langford C

2. Saving tiff without Metadata

3. Public domain Renderman ??

4. Help! Disappearing Fonts

5. PUBLIC DOMAIN VISUALIZATION SYSTEM AVAILABLE

6. Max macht Spass, oder?

7. Public Domain Filters Available?

8. Public domain & U.S. Government

9. New Public Domain Clipart

10. Looking for public domain softwares, experts or companies

11. A Public Domain 3D Rendering Program

12. Public domain/free software?