Pov: Rendering Parts of my Picture

Post by Jan Hicher » Wed, 28 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

I am trying to render my picture in a few seperate parts (using
StartColumn, EndColumn etc.) and paste it together afterwards.

It works fine - as long as I do not use the radiosity-feature :-(

Pov-version: 3.1e.Linux.gcc

Thanks -
Jan

Post by Ken » Wed, 28 Jul 1999 04:00:00

> Hi,

> I am trying to render my picture in a few seperate parts (using
> StartColumn, EndColumn etc.) and paste it together afterwards.

> It works fine - as long as I do not use the radiosity-feature :-(

> Pov-version: 3.1e.Linux.gcc

> Thanks -
> Jan

  This is predictable and has to do with the way Pov calculates the diffused
lighting during the mosaic preview mode. There is nothing that can be done
about it but render the scene all the way through in one pass.

--
Ken Tyler

http://home.pacbell.net/tylereng/links.htm

Pov: Rendering Parts of my Picture

Post by Andrew Cocke » Wed, 28 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>   This is predictable and has to do with the way Pov calculates the
diffused
> lighting during the mosaic preview mode. There is nothing that can be done
> about it but render the scene all the way through in one pass.

I haven't got a clue how radiosity is calculated, but couldn't POV be made
to save a radiosity 'solution' to disk, and then reload it so that the image
could be rendered in stages, or as a continued trace? This would rely on the
user not re-editing the scene code before rendering, but it'd make taking on
radiosity at large resolutions less scary.

Andy

Post by Andreas Dilg » Wed, 28 Jul 1999 04:00:00

>I haven't got a clue how radiosity is calculated, but couldn't POV be made
>to save a radiosity 'solution' to disk, and then reload it so that the image
>could be rendered in stages, or as a continued trace? This would rely on the
>user not re-editing the scene code before rendering, but it'd make taking on
>radiosity at large resolutions less scary.

What a coincidence - POV already does this.  However, normally the radiosity
data is deleted after the image is rendered, and is only left when the trace
is interrupted.  What I would suggest is starting the rendering on the fastest
machine, wait until it has started the trace, kill the trace, and then copy
the radiosity data file to all of the other machines.  The filename will be
<scene>.rca, and according to the code, you need to either continue your
trace (which I don't think you want to do), or have set the option
Radiosity_File_AlwaysReadAtStart.

Cheers, Andreas
--
Andreas Dilger   University of Calgary  \"If a man ate a pound of pasta and
                 Micronet Research Group \ a pound of antipasto, would they

Post by Markus Henni » Thu, 29 Jul 1999 04:00:00

> >I haven't got a clue how radiosity is calculated, but couldn't POV be made
> >to save a radiosity 'solution' to disk, and then reload it so that the image
> >could be rendered in stages, or as a continued trace? This would rely on the
> >user not re-editing the scene code before rendering, but it'd make taking on
> >radiosity at large resolutions less scary.

> What a coincidence - POV already does this.  However, normally the radiosity
> data is deleted after the image is rendered, and is only left when the trace
> is interrupted.  What I would suggest is starting the rendering on the fastest
> machine, wait until it has started the trace, kill the trace,

but when kill?
after "void Start_Tracing_Mosaic_Smooth(int StartPixelSize, int
EndPixelSize)"?
is it possible that after "void Start_Tracing_Mosaic_Smooth(int
StartPixelSize, int  EndPixelSize)"  there is no data in the rca-file?

Quote:> and then copy
> the radiosity data file to all of the other machines.  The filename will be
> <scene>.rca, and according to the code, you need to either continue your
> trace (which I don't think you want to do), or have set the option
> Radiosity_File_AlwaysReadAtStart.

> Cheers, Andreas
> --
> Andreas Dilger   University of Calgary  \"If a man ate a pound of pasta and
>                  Micronet Research Group \ a pound of antipasto, would they
> Dept of Electrical & Computer Engineering \   cancel out, leaving him still
> http://www-mddsp.enel.ucalgary.ca/People/adilger/       hungry?" -- Dogbert

--

MfG, Markus Hennig

Post by Andrew Cocke » Thu, 29 Jul 1999 04:00:00

> but when kill?
> after "void Start_Tracing_Mosaic_Smooth(int StartPixelSize, int
> EndPixelSize)"?
> is it possible that after "void Start_Tracing_Mosaic_Smooth(int
> StartPixelSize, int  EndPixelSize)"  there is no data in the rca-file?

I had a look for the .rca file on Win POV. Yes, it looks as though the file
has no data (0k), but I waited until POV had finished the mosaic, and begun
rendering, then copied it elsewhere, and then killed the render. The .rca
had data in it. I haven't actually tried reading it in prior to a
continued/staged render yet though.

Andy

1. Picture Restoration part Deux

Well I would like to thank everyone for their tips and suggestion. I have
been an avid PS user for a few years and I must admit, PSP is just awesome.
The fun part part was rebuilding two corners that were completely gone (read
torn off). My mother was almost in tears, I get a free dinner ( wife will
like that one) and I got to see what this high falutin system I built would
really do.
I woul dhave loved to have posted this picture so you all woul dhave known
what I was doing but I didn't think anyone wanted to download a 229 meg PSP
file. Saved copies as jpg, and size went to 28 megs and as gif, now it is an
11.5 copy.

Again thanks and kudos to everyone!!!!!!

--
It doesn't matter how you play the game as long as you win!

2. Repost: Problems Displaying My Own Background

3. Picture to look part of background

4. : 3D from beginner to not so beginner

5. pasting a two part picture

6. FS: LightWave 6.5

7. Part 1.......The picture!!! - car.jpg (1/1)

8. Floppy Full of Brushes?

9. Part 1.......The picture!!! - car.jpg (0/1)

10. Copy a part of a picture, or form?

11. Scaling bmp resolution in picture box - part II

12. cls on part of a picture box (16-bit API)

13. how to copy a part of picture , resize and save jpeg