BMRT, depth of field and motion blur

Post by Loris Bindon » Sun, 03 Nov 2002 02:10:06

I'm quite confused about this...
Does BMRT support depth of field and motion blur?
The manual (2.6 version) says:

"Motion Blur, Depth of Field, and Level of Detail are not supported in BMRT
2.6. Also, the Blobby and Curves primitives are not currently supported (but
they do work fine with rgl). We hope to have all of these features working
in future releases."

"The high quality renderer included with BMRT is called rendrib and it's a
full implementation of the Renderman standard which also supports the
following optional capabilities:
 - Solid modeling (...)
 - Depth of field
 - Motion blur (...)"

Something related to the version 3.2 of the Renderman interface
specification?

Best regards,

Loris Bindoni

Post by Stephen H. West » Sun, 03 Nov 2002 02:53:30

> I'm quite confused about this...
> Does BMRT support depth of field and motion blur?
> The manual (2.6 version) says:

> "Motion Blur, Depth of Field, and Level of Detail are not supported in BMRT
> 2.6. Also, the Blobby and Curves primitives are not currently supported (but
> they do work fine with rgl). We hope to have all of these features working
> in future releases."

> "The high quality renderer included with BMRT is called rendrib and it's a
> full implementation of the Renderman standard which also supports the
> following optional capabilities:
>  - Solid modeling (...)
>  - Depth of field
>  - Motion blur (...)"

> Something related to the version 3.2 of the Renderman interface
> specification?

I think these capabilities were disabled in BMRT 2.6. As Larry and
others were starting a company, they wanted to make sure not to run
afoul of the Pixar patent(s) on stochastic sampling. Didn't do them a
lot of good; they got sued out of business anyway.

--
-Stephen H. Westin

Post by israel r thoma » Mon, 18 Nov 2002 13:06:17

>I'm quite confused about this...
>Does BMRT support depth of field and motion blur?
>The manual (2.6 version) says:

You need entropy for this.