ColorSync question

Post by macma » Thu, 01 Feb 2001 02:25:19

I have the latest ColorSync software (that came with mac OS 9.1) and a
Studio Display 17 (Blue and White).

Using ColorSync, I can choose a temperature for the monitor, but I can
also choose a temperature using the built-in controls on the monitor.

If my understanding is correct, when I use the monitor I change some
setting IN THE MONITOR (the relative amounts or RGB), and when I change
the temperature using the software (ColorSync in the Monitor control
panel) I change some setting in the COMPUTER (so the signal going out
the VGA connector is changed).

Can someone explain to me which one to adjust? I am no graphics expert.
doesn't this seem redundant to anyone?

and what is that "gamma" ?

Thanks

ColorSync question

Post by Mike Hutchiso » Fri, 09 Feb 2001 06:40:01

> I have the latest ColorSync software (that came with mac OS 9.1) and a
> Studio Display 17 (Blue and White).

> Using ColorSync, I can choose a temperature for the monitor, but I can
> also choose a temperature using the built-in controls on the monitor.

> If my understanding is correct, when I use the monitor I change some
> setting IN THE MONITOR (the relative amounts or RGB), and when I change
> the temperature using the software (ColorSync in the Monitor control
> panel) I change some setting in the COMPUTER (so the signal going out
> the VGA connector is changed).

> Can someone explain to me which one to adjust? I am no graphics expert.
> doesn't this seem redundant to anyone?

> and what is that "gamma" ?
> Thanks

Gamma is sort of like a Contrast setting, but it also includes brightness
and colour variations, all in one. The lower the Gamma number, the darker
the picture is. A higher number will give excessive bright, and washed out
kind of picture - this is only a very rough description.

The monitor settings (brightness & contrast) cannot be changed via software.
All Coloursync is doing is basically changing the Gamma settings.
--
Regards,
Mike Hutchison

The Mac-Troubleshooter: http://www.graphixmad.plus.com/

1. ColorSync Question about Epson Stylus Color 440

Hi,

I am just puzzled by a question:

I am using Epson Stylus color 440 on my iMac. I guess the 440 is a CMYK
device, and when I tried to use it's colorsync profile in my CMYK setup of
photoshop 5.0, but I find there is no such item in the popup menu. Neither
is the profile in the colorsync control panel.

Can somebody tell me if the colorsync profile is not a CMYK profile?

Thank

Tao

2. How to develop app for run in dual monitor.

3. Colorsync question

4. Tip: Booleans!

5. COLORSYNC Questions

6. Rotating openGL picture with mouse