Interpreting data from an Eikonix 1435

Post by Jonathan H » Tue, 02 Jan 1990 19:34:00

Can anyone tell me how to interpret the RGB data from an Eikonix 1435
slide scanner?  What I need is an answer like: "The RGB values represent
intensity^0.45 of primaries located at the following coordinates: Red x=.67
y=.33 Green x=.21 y=.71 etc..." or something like that.  I realize that the
answer is probably not this simple, but any information would be useful.

Also, does anyone have working software for this thing yet on a Sun-3?
The version I was shipped wouldn't run until I poked around with adb
a bit and patched the binary.  They said they shipped me version 1.1
this week, but that's the same version number as the one I have.

Jonathan Hue            uunet!jvc!jonathan

Post by A J Anna » Tue, 02 Jan 1990 16:39:00

>Can anyone tell me how to interpret the RGB data from an Eikonix 1435
>slide scanner?  What I need is an answer like: "The RGB values represent
>intensity^0.45 of primaries located at the following coordinates: Red x=.67
>y=.33 Green x=.21 y=.71 etc..." or something like that.  I realize that the
>answer is probably not this simple, but any information would be useful.

>Also, does anyone have working software for this thing yet on a Sun-3?
>The version I was shipped wouldn't run until I poked around with adb
>a bit and patched the binary.  They said they shipped me version 1.1
>this week, but that's the same version number as the one I have.

>Jonathan Hue                uunet!jvc!jonathan

I couldn't get your mailing address to work ... so I am posting this to
the network.  We are seriously considering acquiring an Eikonix 1412 ...
this is a 4096 x 4096 pixel x 12 bit CCD linear array stepping camera ...
we would want to connect it to a SUN-III/160C-P8 system ... we were given
a quote for a SUN3/VME-bus interface including "... hardware, 12' cable,
documentation, and Driver / Library software package with full support."
I had expected this system would work immediately on installation w/out
the kind of tinkering you mention in your note.  I would appreciate a
summary of your experience with this camera system and it's support ...
including (if possible) a report on photometric performance, signal to
noise ratio, sensitivity, scan to scan variability, and ease of use by

Thanks, AJ Annala, USC Neuroscience Program

p.s. (1)  I am told that Eikonix is a subsidiary of Kodak.
     (2)  There has been some suggestion in this newsgroup that
          re-Kodak products were somewhat difficult to use
     (3)  I would like to know what kind of light box you use
          with a 12 bit camera that can guarantee photometric
          uniformity and low noise ... and/or how much frame
          averaging or time integration you need to do to get
          a low noise image anywhere near full precision of the
          device.

Interpreting data from an Eikonix 1435

Post by Perry Kivolowi » Tue, 02 Jan 1990 06:51:00

Is Eikonix on the net?

We've just finished (what we consider to be) an excellent and quite
robust scanner system supporting the Sharp JX-300, 450, and 600 flat
bed scanners (on the Commodore Amiga).

We're looking for vendors that will work with us (by lending us
equipment for software development) to expand our base in the color
processing area. Specifically, we're interested in slide scanners
(the Eikonix is perfect - we developed our own high speed IEEE-488
interface to support the Sharp) and film recorders.

The most significant problem we've faced so far has been due to the
lack of respect established vendors have for the CBM Amiga. (For comparison
purposes only - I certainly don't want to start a MCIBTYC war - when comparing
feature for feature - our scanning system is as fast or faster than any found
on the MacII inspite of the fact we run on a 7MHz 68000. With a 14 MHz 68020
we run things like 24 bit color separations 6 times faster than some similar
systems available on the MacII).

Anyway, if there are any providers of film recorders or slide scanners on
the net, we'd like very much to establish relationships which might prove
beneficial to all parties concerned.

Thanks Much

--
Perry Kivolowitz, ASDG Inc.

UUCP:   {harvard|rutgers|ucbvax}!uwvax!astroatc!nicmad!madnix!perry

1. Interpreting animation data externally

I'm looking to read the animation data from an ASE file (i.e. bone data
with hierarchies, animation position/scale/rotation) and, more
importantly, play it back in my own program.  Does anyone know of a
reference or source that will tell me what algorithms, data structures,
etc. are used and how the values exported by the ASE can be matched to
those to get identical results?  I know that the rotations use Hermite
splines with TCB adjustment, however I'm not sure what interpolated XYZA
value is (quaternion? axis + rotation?) and what coordinate systems are
used.  For example, when looking at position data it would logically be
assumed to come from object space of the parent, but it's actually world
space positioning (ugh).

Please post replies.

Thanks

2. Intersection problem

3. Help: Eikonix 1412 and Sun 4 don't work well together

4. Calculating Normals

5. Eikonix Scanners

6. Are there any OpenGL/GLX/Pbuffer Examples?

7. Need Eikonix help

8. Adding comments...Mac-related...

9. eikonix 1412

10. Help interpreting compiler error message...

11. Possible to invert the way hardware interprets RGB

12. RenderMan bindings/interpreted langs??

13. Urgent : interpreting gif files