Tech Illustration on PC: AutoCad -> Framemaker

Post by scottopoto.. » Fri, 28 May 1999 04:00:00

Tech Illustration on PC: AutoCad -> Framemaker

We want to automate (as much as possible) the flow of information from
our 3D DXF AutoCad parts files to the final output program Framemaker
(or optionally another final output program.)

We want to be able to :
(1) view & spin (to an isometric grid) the 3D parts file
(2) snap a 2D isometric view of the part
(3) automatically thick outline the part
    (and/or surface texture and/or color)
(4) place the part into a 2D illustration page
(5) annotate
(6) import/export or copy/paste drawing into "book" output system (we
own Framemaker)

My research so far tells me that IsoDraw 4 would be a perfect single
program to bridge the gap between our CAD program and Framemaker.  But
at $4,500, I wonder if there isn't something else (or several
somethings) that can get us there?

Tech Illustration on PC: AutoCad -> Framemaker

Post by Michael Lenno » Sat, 29 May 1999 04:00:00

IsoDraw _may_ be the solution you are looking for. It depends on your
AutoCAD drawings. Are they 3D solid or wireframe? If solid, then I think
you can forego the IsoDraw step using the following procedure (roughly
matches your needs):

View and spin the objects in the drawing in AutoCAD (use one of the
isometric presets for the best results)
Use the SOLPROF command to create a 2D isometric view of the part
In R14, you'll need to configure your pen settings in the Plot dialog box
to create lineweight. In 2000, use the lineweight object property.
Export an EPS file using the PostScript plotter driver. You can place the
EPS into Illustrator, CorelDraw or Freehand.
You can annotate in either the illustration application or AutoCAD
Whichever annotation procedure you use, export an EPS or WMF for use with
FrameMaker

Good luck.

Michael Lennox

> Tech Illustration on PC: AutoCad -> Framemaker

> We want to automate (as much as possible) the flow of information from
> our 3D DXF AutoCad parts files to the final output program Framemaker
> (or optionally another final output program.)

> We want to be able to :
> (1) view & spin (to an isometric grid) the 3D parts file
> (2) snap a 2D isometric view of the part
> (3) automatically thick outline the part
>     (and/or surface texture and/or color)
> (4) place the part into a 2D illustration page
> (5) annotate
> (6) import/export or copy/paste drawing into "book" output system (we
> own Framemaker)

> My research so far tells me that IsoDraw 4 would be a perfect single
> program to bridge the gap between our CAD program and Framemaker.  But
> at $4,500, I wonder if there isn't something else (or several
> somethings) that can get us there?

1. PC AutoCAD => Mac Canvas

Anybody have some insight on how to go about doing this?

I need to convert an AutoCAD file... and Canvas _does_ support DXF though
I don't know if it's R10 or R12 or whatever.

Please reply via email.

Thanks,

Rick
--
Rick Pavek                      +   Shit happens.  We know that.

http://www.amarpage.com/uncle/  +   to the other guy.
Graphics and HTML for hire      +                        -Me

2. How to create Macintosh Screen savers?

3. Pagemaker ->> Framemaker (usability)

4. Partly dashed and line in graph. How?

5. AutoCad for Mac V AutoCad for PC ?

6. Can video post do sequences? how?

7. 3D Tech. Illustration

8. Check this out...WOW!!!

9. Looking to d Technical Illustration of Autocad DXF imported into coreldraw8

10. PC->TV, TV->PC

11. Autocad>Autovision>3DS bug?

12. PC Magazine Test on Illustration, Image and Desktop Packages