(new Problems) FINAL: 8-bit colormap problems

Post by Joachim Goth » Sat, 24 Feb 1996 04:00:00

> Well, it seems I generated quite a little issue with my post
> about the colormap problems in Netscape. I got quite a few
> Finally, I upgraded to Netscape 2.0 Final when it was out,
> and changed the *installColormap switch to 'No' in the
> Netscape.ad file.

Try to run 'xpsview' (the Postscript Viewer) at the same time OR after
Netscape2.0 ....it is not possible (on my 8-Bit INDY)

=====> X11 PROTOCOL ERROR <=====
Error Code    of failed request = 8 BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)
Major Opcode  of failed request = 128 (Unknown Opcode)
Minor Opcode  of failed request = 2
Serial number of failed request = 426
Resource Id   of failed request = 0 (0x0)
Current serial number in output stream = 426
***xpsview ERROR(46): A fatal X11 protocol error occured, please restart the
previewer
***xpsview termination status = 46

I have to log out and in again to use 'xpsview' .

Any Ideas ??

Achim
--
Joachim Gothe, Networks/Broadcast-Video  FH-Hannover, FB Kunst&Design

http://chaplin.kd.fh-hannover.de         Herrenhaeuser Str.8
Home: +49 511 797515                     Phone:+49 511 9296-557, Fax -510

1. FINAL: 8-bit colormap problems

Hi!

I've recently done postings to this newsgroup about the netscape
8-bit colourmap problem.

Turning that switch to 'No' will start to bugger you other applications.
Try running zmail and netscape, with zmail after netscape. Sometimes
the problem shows up, sometimes it doesn't.

I have even tried forcing the visual to the default 8-bit. To start
with, that solved the problem. But it was simply like telling netscape
to use the default visual with no installed private colourmap.

I hope Netscape haven't written version 2.0 with only the 24-bit in
mind and the 8-bit as an add-on. You know what I'm saying? Kind of:
it the library works on the 24-bit, then the library could probably
take care of itself on the 8-bit, who needs testing? I hope that is
not the case.

Please let me know what the heck is happening with this problem. :)

This is what I have been trying to put across in my postings as well.

I agree, the 8-bit is a remarkable system and definitely worth it. But
this netscapes/sgi motif thing is a hassle. I have to do some demos
now and again, and it is no pleasure having a screen full of warnings
on a R75000 (+- $20,000) piece of quality equipment.

How about we form a group and call it NS8A (Netscape SGI 8-bitters
Anonymous)?

Cheers!

G.

Name       : Gerard van Vught

Working URL: http://www.ntsika.org.za
Private URL: (upon request, send mail to above e-mail address)

2. KPT 3 Interform Problem

3. 8-bit Indy Colormap Problems

4. Can anyone tell me where I can find out how to adapt PS RAW converter for D10?

5. Convert 24 bit -> 8 bit, some problems

6. improving contrast on dark pictures

7. X Colormap problems.

8. free pre-release of "face to face alter ego" software

9. Problem With Colormap

10. Changing Colormap Problem (newbie)

11. Problem with overlay colormap (indexed color)

12. Colormap on SGI 4D/35 and Motif problem

13. Colormap flashing problems...