"Fake" virtual reality

Post by Mike Pere » Mon, 19 Apr 1993 08:34:03

The most ridiculous example of VR-exploitation I've seen so far is the
"Virtual Reality Clothing Company" which recently opened up in Vancouver. As
far as I can tell it's just another "chic" clothes spot. Although it would be
interesting if they were selling "virtual clothing"....

E-mail me if you want me to dig up their phone # and you can probably get
some promotional lit.

MP
(8^)-

"Fake" virtual reality

Post by Fogbound Chi » Wed, 21 Apr 1993 02:52:46

>The most ridiculous example of VR-exploitation I've seen so far is the
>"Virtual Reality Clothing Company" which recently opened up in Vancouver. As
>far as I can tell it's just another "chic" clothes spot. Although it would be
>interesting if they were selling "virtual clothing"....
>E-mail me if you want me to dig up their phone # and you can probably get
>some promotional lit.

I understand there have been a couple of raves in LA billing themselves as
"Virtual Reality" parties. What I hear they do is project .GIF images around
on the walls, as well as run animations through a Newtek Toaster.

Seems like we need to adopt the term Really Virtual Reality or something, except
for the non-immersive stuff which is Virtually Really Virtual Reality.

etc.

Quote:>MP
>(8^)-

___Samuel___
--
_________Pratice Safe .Signature! Prevent Dangerous Signature Virii!_______
Guildenstern: Our names shouted in a certain dawn ... a message ... a

1. "Fake" virtual reality

Hello...
  Hey folks, I have an unusual request.  I'm doing a short video segment
on virtual reality (what it is, what it isn't, what people think it is...)
and one of the things I would like to portray is how the definition of the
term is slowly starting to become meaningless, as it gets generalized into
numerous definitions, kind of like what happened to the term "multimedia".
  I was wondering, has anyone seen any advertisements or articles toting
a product or idea as "Virtual Reality" that just plain WASN'T?  Or maybe
something that is viewed by popular culture as VR in a misleading way?  I
have seen a few games (Ultima Underworld, Wolfenstein) and other programs
described as being "VR", and I have seen the Internet described as
"Cyberspace" many times, but I was looking for something more blatant.
("This new teacup design is virtual reality!" in big letters would be
ideal :-)
  In any case, if anyone has seen anything like this, could you point me
in the right direction (tell me what magazine, TV show/commercial, movie,
etc. I might find it in.)  Response by e-mail is cool, but by all means
post if you feel like discussing this.
  Thanks!
Pat Lipo

2. Strangest Way to use Bones

3. "fake" virtual reality footage

4. stealthnet?

5. ****"""""BUG IN PROGRAM"""*****

6. help: architectural glass

7. America Rejects Fake CG "Reality" For Real Reality

8. Help / advice needed for MAC graphics workstation

9. "Virtual Painter" plug-in

10. Virtual stuntmen - "traditional" mocap becomes obsolete

11. """"LOOKING FOR METRAEYES MODELLER AND TURBO.PXP FOR AN EXCHANGE"""""

12. Dss Satellite "HU"&"H"card programming click link

13. ***WHICH IS BEST CAPTURE"SNAPPY""AIGOTCHA"?***