Partitioning HD for speed?

Post by Brian Findl » Tue, 23 Apr 1996 04:00:00

Hi, any suggestions on how to partition a 1G hard drive for speed?  I am
awaiting delivery of a new 8500, and want to know the most efficient way
to set up the drive for a boot partition, and for video capture.

ADVthanksANCE

Brian Findlay --  Solutions Training & Consulting
http://www.pris.bc.ca/stc/

604-788-9281
** Promoting excellence in web page design **

Partitioning HD for speed?

Post by Steve » Wed, 24 Apr 1996 04:00:00

Here's one theory:  Set up 3 partitions:

1.  for System files  (this won't fragment much
2.  for Applications/utilities (this will fragment a little
3.  for "data" (documents + digitized data)  This will fragment alot, but
when you defrag/optimize, you won't have to do your whole system.

(and perhaps if you're doing alot of video capture, a partition just for
that that you can easily just reformat when you're done with the files.  I
know AVID used to suggest reformatting or reinitializing hard drives used
for digitized media in between projects as a matter of routine)

> Hi, any suggestions on how to partition a 1G hard drive for speed?  I am
> awaiting delivery of a new 8500, and want to know the most efficient way
> to set up the drive for a boot partition, and for video capture.

> ADVthanksANCE

> Brian Findlay --  Solutions Training & Consulting
> http://www.pris.bc.ca/stc/

> 604-788-9281
> ** Promoting excellence in web page design **

1. partitioning 7500 HD

I am configuring a brand-new PowerMac 7500/100 80/500.

I will install Strata Vision3d, Fractal Design Poser, and probably Adobe
Photoshop via a Zip drive.

I will run/HAVE to run (?) my familiar things from Zip disks--
Illustrator 5.5, FD Painter 3.1, SuperPaint 3.5--because the 3d programs
will require much working storage space(?)??I have heard that
partitioning may interfere with compressing files, e.g.

So the question is partitioning. Do you partition your HD? When I
started the 7500 already 112mb was being taken up by Apple Extras (which
I don't know) and System software, etc. 17mb is the smallest allocation
for my all my 2-4mb notes and emails I save.

I foresee accumulating things like big downloaded graphics, etc.

Is this the newsgroup to ask?

Brian

2. WWW (Mosaic) server for NAS visualization work

3. Help! New Mac Lightwave user problem!

4. PVR question...

5. HD speed for transfer to videotape?

6. Unique S/w dev.3d rapid modeling Nurbs surfaces CAD- Next Gen s/w animation, Hollywood graphics

7. Copy DVD to HD, play the DVD from HD

8. Speed Speed Speed!!

9. Virtual PC video speed and CopyBits speed web page

10. Need help in speeding up cropping speed

11. Video card speed vs. system speed