Colour palettes again....

Post by Christine Rigde » Wed, 17 Jul 1996 04:00:00

I'm looking for a way to lock certain cells in the 256 colour palette, so
that they always hold those colours regardless of changes elsewhere in
the palette.

An application I'm helping with uses 64 colours, including the standard
Windows colours.  Some images in this application use other positions for
further colours, but the initial set doesn't change.  Fine, so far.

But there is an ability to display video clips in this application.
Assuming a 256 colour driver for Windows, and video clips which are 16
bit colour, one could theoretically stop the garish change of colours
behind the video windows by forcing the clips to only use 192 of the 256
spaces.

Any ideas?  Or not possible?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Christine Rigden

http://www.york.ac.uk/~tcr100/christine/

Colour palettes again....

Post by ?μ???è NEWS GROUP àì?? » Fri, 19 Jul 1996 04:00:00

: I'm looking for a way to lock certain cells in the 256 colour palette, so
: that they always hold those colours regardless of changes elsewhere in
: the palette.

: An application I'm helping with uses 64 colours, including the standard
: Windows colours.  Some images in this application use other positions for
: further colours, but the initial set doesn't change.  Fine, so far.

: But there is an ability to display video clips in this application.
: Assuming a 256 colour driver for Windows, and video clips which are 16
: bit colour, one could theoretically stop the garish change of colours
: behind the video windows by forcing the clips to only use 192 of the 256
: spaces.

: Any ideas?  Or not possible?
: ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Post by Bert Sp » Fri, 19 Jul 1996 04:00:00

> I'm looking for a way to lock certain cells in the 256 colour palette, so
> that they always hold those colours regardless of changes elsewhere in
> the palette.

> An application I'm helping with uses 64 colours, including the standard
> Windows colours.  Some images in this application use other positions for
> further colours, but the initial set doesn't change.  Fine, so far.

> But there is an ability to display video clips in this application.
> Assuming a 256 colour driver for Windows, and video clips which are 16
> bit colour, one could theoretically stop the garish change of colours
> behind the video windows by forcing the clips to only use 192 of the 256
> spaces.

> Any ideas?  Or not possible?
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> Christine Rigden

> http://www.york.ac.uk/~tcr100/christine/

Christine,

If you have access to a macintosh, debabelizer is able to do this.
It can make a superpalette, and lock colors.
You can prepare you images in Windows, and do this in debabelizer in
batch mode. Windows palette and all.

Hope this helps

Bert

--
  Bert Spin                  |  Eindhoven (NL)
  Illustrator                |  Voice & Fax +31 40 2481936

Colour palettes again....

Post by Christine Rigde » Sat, 20 Jul 1996 04:00:00

> If you have access to a macintosh, debabelizer is able to do this.
> It can make a superpalette, and lock colors.
> You can prepare you images in Windows, and do this in debabelizer in
> batch mode. Windows palette and all.

Thanks Bert, I've got someone looking into this, as there are plenty of
Macs around here.  The video images resulting may not be useable, but
it's worth a try!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Post by Pierre Lalond » Sat, 20 Jul 1996 04:00:00

> I'm looking for a way to lock certain cells in the 256 colour palette, so
> that they always hold those colours regardless of changes elsewhere in
> the palette.

> An application I'm helping with uses 64 colours, including the standard
> Windows colours.  Some images in this application use other positions for
> further colours, but the initial set doesn't change.  Fine, so far.

> But there is an ability to display video clips in this application.
> Assuming a 256 colour driver for Windows, and video clips which are 16
> bit colour, one could theoretically stop the garish change of colours
> behind the video windows by forcing the clips to only use 192 of the 256
> spaces.

> Any ideas?  Or not possible?
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> Christine Rigden

> http://www.york.ac.uk/~tcr100/christine/

I think Paint shop pro is simply the best tool for that job; I tried it
for a project where I had to create images with 30 colors, and here are
the steps I did:

1- Create an image containing clips of every color I need; reduce colors
   to 30, and save that master palette.

2- Load the images, and apply that palette.

Other softwares may claim to do the same, but the quality of the result
is sometimes simply amazing with Paint shop pro.

Colour palettes again....

Post by Christine Rigde » Wed, 24 Jul 1996 04:00:00

> I think Paint shop pro is simply the best tool for that job;

That's been fine for the bitmaps, and a stable 64 colour palette has been
produced for them in much the manner you suggest.  But I gather that
handling the colours for _videos_ is a whole different ball game.  And
it's the integration of them where the problem arises.  How to fit
hi-colour (32k) videos into the remaining 192 spaces?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Christine Rigden

http://www.york.ac.uk/~tcr100/christine/

Colour palettes again....

Post by Christine Rigde » Wed, 24 Jul 1996 04:00:00

> > If you have access to a macintosh, debabelizer is able to do this.
> > It can make a superpalette, and lock colors.
> > You can prepare you images in Windows, and do this in debabelizer in
> > batch mode. Windows palette and all.

> Thanks Bert, I've got someone looking into this, as there are plenty of
> Macs around here.  The video images resulting may not be useable, but
> it's worth a try!

For those who may be interested, another positive contribution on this
has come from an internal newsgroup:

>I'm looking for a way to lock certain cells in the 256 colour palette, so
>that they always hold those colours regardless of changes elsewhere in
>the palette.

Check out the PC_NOCOLLAPSE type for the PALET*TRY flags. This
basically
says to Windows that it should not remove duplicate entries, or move them
about. However you must copy the standard 20 system colours into the top
and bottom 10 entries of the palette. The other 246 in between are at
your
disposal. The beauty of doing this is that you can specify palette
for colors and bitmaps and use the DIB_PAL_COLOURS for blitting. This
bypasses all the colour translation code and gives much faster rendering.

Hope that was what you were after...

Chris Wood
Software Developer                   "Yew Scwewy Wabbit" - Elmer Fudd
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Christine Rigden

http://www.veryComputer.com/~tcr100/christine/

1. multiple colour palette again

There is no way to have a 16 color palette to use for text, menu bars,
etc. and a separate 256 color palette to use for images--they use the same
set of 256 colors.  This limitation applies to ALL software running on
the 256 color hardware. There are ways around this: You could, for example,
use 240 colors for displaying images and use the lowest (or highest) 16
colors for menus and text. Another trick is to hard-wire the specific colors
used for each of the 256 colors in the palette and NOT allow them to be
changed when you load a new image.  Then if you want to draw a menu bar
in bright green, for example, and bright green is assigned to palette
entry 210, then you write pixels with value 210 to the screen to draw the
menu bar.  When you load an image, you then re-map its colors to match those
in your palette. So, in this example, pixels of bright green in the image
would also use value 210 on the screen. This works for an RGB triplet image.
For a "palette image" in which the pixel values point at an entry in a
to the image file, you will have to translate the image's palette values to
find the correct color in your own unchanging color table.  So there are
two ways to do it: (1) translate the image's palette or RGB values to match
your unchanging 256 color palette or (2) reserve some number of palette
entries for your menu system and then translate the palette or RGB values
of each image to the palette entries that you have not reserved.  In option
number 2, the unreserved palette is allowed to change for any image but
note that each time you load a new palette, every image will change.

Mike Newberry

2. AccBuf Gotcha?

3. Converting a grey palette to a colour palette ?

4. Needed source for digital map data

5. Colour Quantization 24 to 8 bit (Again!)

6. Bezier curves

7. Layer Palette again

8. missing layer palette - again

9. Flippin Colour Management again ?