Public Domain Volume Visualization (Voxel-based) Software?

Public Domain Volume Visualization (Voxel-based) Software?

Post by Pete DeVrie » Fri, 25 Jun 1993 05:24:54

We are looking for public domain voxel-based volume visualization
programs with source code. It would be ideal if the code is portable
between different Unix boxes.

The software should be voxel-based rather than surface shaded or wire
frame. The software needs to generate images from  volumetric data sets.
The resulting images are calculated as projections through the volume
where each value of each voxel contributes to the resulting image. This
is different than software which allows you to determine an artificial
threshold and then draws shell-like surfaces on those thresholded areas.
The software we need should be similar to the commercial program
VoxelView, by Vital Images of Fairfield IA. We really need the rendering
engine rather than the display/interface code.

Is there any public domain code that is similar to what we need?

Thanks in advance!
-Pete

Public Domain Volume Visualization (Voxel-based) Software?

Post by Lance Lad » Sun, 11 Jul 1993 14:43:39

I would also be interested if anyone has any information regarding
public domain (or other) volume reconstruction programs/source code.
I am especially looking for a program and/or code that can handle the
volume rendering of (potentially) several _HUNDRED_ 8-bit 512x512
(or slightly lower resolution) images and can run under UNIX (I am
currently using VoxelView on a Silicon Graphics Workstation but also
have access to SUNs and IBM RISC 6000s).

Thanks,

Lance Ladic
University of B.C.
Vancouver, B.C.
Canada

Public Domain Volume Visualization (Voxel-based) Software?

Post by merl » Tue, 13 Jul 1993 16:53:20

It is not public domain -- but KHOROS' 3dtools will do the job.  You might
also look into AVS -- they acquired SUN's volume rendering code -- perhaps
not public domain -- but potentially your best bet for good quality images.

Alexander-James Annala
Principal Investigator
Neuroscience Image Analysis Network
HEDCO Neuroscience Building, Fifth Floor
University of Southern California
University Park
Los Angeles, CA 90089-2520

1. Public domain volume renderers?

I'm looking for a public domain volume renderer, preferably either ray
tracing or vbuffer based.  Thanks -

- Tom

Cray Research, Inc.                             Phone: (919) 248-1117
North Carolina Supercomputing Center
PO BOX 12889  RTP, NC 27709
--

Cray Research, Inc.                             Phone: (919) 248-1117
North Carolina Supercomputing Center
PO BOX 12889  RTP, NC 27709

2. Frame Difference Detection.

3. Recipe for Using Public Domain 3D Volume Imaging Code -- NCSA Viewit

4. URGENT : Explain me this algo ....

5. Need public domain volume (3D) displayer

6. OpenGL Cards

7. Recipe for Using Public Domain 3D Volume Imaging Code -- NCSA Viewit

8. opengl mainloop

9. PUBLIC DOMAIN VISUALIZATION SYSTEM AVAILABLE

10. Any 3D visualization Public Domain ?

11. Public domain/free software?

12. Public Domain animation software for X11

13. Public Domain Viz software for Vector machines