replacement for GKS wanted

Post by Jeffrey Ha » Thu, 24 Dec 1992 14:42:04

Does anyone know of a (widely [freely] available) graphics library
that could be used to replace Sun's GKS (Graphics Kernel System).

I have a really great app written using GKS, except that any target system
MUST also contain the library (although I don't think the lib is a DLL).

Is X considered a graphics lib?

By the way, the app I created is an implementation of the star cluster
experiment described in Scientific American's Computer Recreations back
some time between '85 and '87.  Since this was for a graphics class and
the prof was looking for specific things, I added interactivity, allowing
model editing.  The resulting project is really neat!  but I can't show anyone
outside of school!

thanks!

David Preisler
(201) 529-4983

replacement for GKS wanted

Post by Al Amaral - SunSele » Fri, 25 Dec 1992 05:10:07

Quote:>Does anyone know of a (widely [freely] available) graphics library
>that could be used to replace Sun's GKS (Graphics Kernel System).

You could try XGKS, it's a GKS library which runs on top of X11.
It's probably available from several anonymous FTP sites, although
I don't know which ones off hand.