1. Problem with sleep mode
I bought a G4 Mac seven months ago, and recently added a second video
card. Since then the sleep mode does not work properly, and as I find
that feature very useful, I'd like to find out what is causing the
The following is from Apple's web site:
"Putting your computer to sleep.
Your Power Mac G4 supports new intelligent power management during
computer sleep. When your computer sleeps, it will attempt to reduce
power usage to the lowest level possible. The lowest power level is
achieved by powering off many of the components in the computer,
including the PCI bus. Older PCI cards do not support this style of
power management, so the PCI bus and the system cooling fan are left
powered on during sleep. When you install newer PCI cards which support
this new style of power management, or if there are no PCI cards
installed, the system cooling fan is turned off during sleep."
This seems to indicate that the Mac thinks that this new card is
actually an older one which does not support this kind of power
management. Considering that I bought the card 6 months after buying
the Mac, this seems odd, and not should not be possible.
The original card is the ATI Rage 128 (AGP), and the card I bought is a
Rage Pro (PCI). This is only one month old now, so it should support
the latest power management. Since I installed it, the sleep mode does
not work. The HD powers down, but the fan continues to run, and I
gather that the bus remains powered.
I've tried both Apple and ATI web sites searching for a solution. I've
tried switching the primary monitor from one card to the other, to no
Thanks for any suggestions.
1013 Pendergast Street Ph: 250-384-3076
Victoria, BC V8V 2W8 Fax: 250-384-4402
2. I need help in producing 3D graphics !!!
3. clone can it be done in pm
4. HArdware Config for 3ds
5. Continuing questions of a rendering novice.
6. ANN: Digital Immersion launches Merlin 3D 1.0
7. Rendering Problems Continue
8. GL object: draw while create possible?
9. It's done, done, done!
10. Printing from PM 7.0 in Classic mode of OSX
11. Which is better for doing a game: D3D retained mode or D3D Immediate
12. shutting down pov3 for win after rendering is done
13. Has anyone done scene render comparisons with processors