schools for computer graphics/animation

Post by Kenneth C. Jenks [GM2] 483-43 » Wed, 17 Jul 1991 12:08:19

>I am looking for colleges from which to take *good* courses in computer
>graphics and animation, in the Westchester/New Jersey/lower Upstate New
>York/Manhattan areas. If anyone has any recommendations, I would really
>appreciate the information. Thanks in advance.

>                                            Chris Siegel

Sorry, Chris, I can't help you location-wise, but University of
Illinos/Urbana-Champaign (UIUC) has some excellent classes in computer
graphics, and some of the most forward-looking folks on the block in
computers in general.  (UIUC hosted a conference this summer on the
Next 40 Years in Computing.)  UIUC is also the home of the NCSA
[National Center for Supercomputing Applications], which includes a
wonderful program on using computer graphics for visualization of
scientific data.  George K. Francis, Ph. D., of UI's Dept. of
Mathematics teaches a course on the mathematics of computer graphics
which I highly recommend.  Give him a call -- UI's switchboard is
(217) 333-1000.  Tell him Ken Jenks sent you.

I'm posting this to let everyone know of one alumni's opinion, but drop
me an e-mail or a phone call, and we can talk further.

My only complaint about UI's computer graphics programs was that they
didn't have much going during my undergrad CS years.

(This will probably spark a fresh round of "my school's better than
yours!" -- but that's what USENET's for!)

-- Ken Jenks, NASA/JSC/GM2, Space Shuttle Program Office

     "It is mankind's manifest destiny to bring our humanity into space,
      to colonize this galaxy.  And as a nation, we have the power to
      determine whether America will lead or will follow.

      I say that America must lead."  -- Ronald Reagan

Post by Matthew Klapm » Wed, 17 Jul 1991 23:34:07

>>I am looking for colleges from which to take *good* courses in computer
>>graphics and animation, in the Westchester/New Jersey/lower Upstate New
>>York/Manhattan areas. If anyone has any recommendations, I would really
>>appreciate the information. Thanks in advance.

>>                                                Chris Siegel

>Sorry, Chris, I can't help you location-wise, but University of
>Illinos/Urbana-Champaign (UIUC) has some excellent classes in computer
>graphics, and some of the most forward-looking folks on the block in
>computers in general.  (UIUC hosted a conference this summer on the
>Next 40 Years in Computing.)  UIUC is also the home of the NCSA
>[National Center for Supercomputing Applications], which includes a
>wonderful program on using computer graphics for visualization of
>scientific data.  George K. Francis, Ph. D., of UI's Dept. of
>Mathematics teaches a course on the mathematics of computer graphics
>which I highly recommend.  Give him a call -- UI's switchboard is
>(217) 333-1000.  Tell him Ken Jenks sent you.

>I'm posting this to let everyone know of one alumni's opinion, but drop
>me an e-mail or a phone call, and we can talk further.

>My only complaint about UI's computer graphics programs was that they
>didn't have much going during my undergrad CS years.

>(This will probably spark a fresh round of "my school's better than
>yours!" -- but that's what USENET's for!)

>-- Ken Jenks, NASA/JSC/GM2, Space Shuttle Program Office

As a biased alumi, I would like to add that UIUC has recently (last year)
added a new quad dedicated to electronic and computer engineering (that's
right, a new quad (about 5 square blocks) complete with a new expansion
and facelift for its Digital Computing Lab as well as current construction
on another lab and two about to be added! It's literally up and coming!

Excuse the pun, since UIUC is not "up and coming" but was ranked number
one in electrical and computer engineering (by deans, I think) over MIT,
Stanford, and Caltech (although they fluctuate for top spot every year).

-Matthew Klapman

 Future Vision Technologies

Post by Marc Coop » Thu, 18 Jul 1991 00:55:12

>I am looking for colleges from which to take *good* courses in computer
>graphics and animation, in the Westchester/New Jersey/lower Upstate New
>York/Manhattan areas. If anyone has any recommendations, I would really
>appreciate the information. Thanks in advance.

>                                            Chris Siegel

>Sorry, Chris, I can't help you location-wise, but University of
>Illinos/Urbana-Champaign (UIUC) has some excellent classes in computer
>graphics, and some of the most forward-looking folks on the block in
>computers in general.
>I'm posting this to let everyone know of one alumni's opinion, but drop
>me an e-mail or a phone call, and we can talk further.

>-- Ken Jenks, NASA/JSC/GM2, Space Shuttle Program Office

As a biased alumi, I would like to add that UIUC has recently (last year)

>added a new quad dedicated to electronic and computer engineering (that's
>right, a new quad (about 5 square blocks) complete with a new expansion
>and facelift for its Digital Computing Lab as well as current construction
>on another lab and two about to be added! It's literally up and coming!

>-Matthew Klapman

Count in one more biased UIUC alumni.  The best thing you can do if you do
go to U of I is get in with NCSA.  It's a fun place to work, aspecially as a
student.  I worked there for a year after graduation.  you can't get much
better with regard to access to hardware.  Crays, CM's, a Convex, 20 SGI in
one lab, and many many more on various desktops.  lots of innovative work
going on.  In addition, for the more artsy stuff, it's not TOO hard to hook up
with Donna Cox.  She worked extensively with George Francis (Ken mentioned him)
in previous years, and most recently worked on the Venus & Milo video shown at
last years SIGGRRAPH.  that was a STUDENT PRODUCTION!  (I was story boards and
some animation)  She was working on another feature when I left.

Beyond Beckman, there is professor D. Donald Hearn, of the CS dept.  He's the
resident graphics guru, and author of Computer Graphics (Hearn and Baker.  The
Baker is Polly Baker, an NCSA employee, and I think, a former student of
Hearn's).  He's a lot of fun, and teaches both the Intro to Graphics class
as well as a Grad level seminar with shifting topics.  One year it was user
interfaces.  I took the Sci Vis course as an undergrad.

For balance, I know folks that have many good things to say about University of
North Carolina (Raliegh Durham) and Ohio State (the apE project).  I've
also heard buzzings from Utah (Utah?  naaaahhh..) but I'm not sure..

anyway, that's three for UIUC.  Any others?

ps. Hi matt.  Did Hoepner ever recover from that grape juice?

--
Marc Cooper - Graphics Programmer - Sverdrup Tech.  |"When the going gets weird

MS 5-11  21000 Brookpark Dr.                        |
Cleveland, OH  44135        (216) 433-5859          |    - Hunter S. Thompson
                Disclaimer:  "It's mine! All mine!"  -D. Duck

schools for computer graphics/animation

Post by Rod G. Boga » Thu, 18 Jul 1991 08:12:43

Princeton has some impressive people in Computer Graphics.  You might
need to be a grad student to work with them...

RGB

1. Good Computer Graphics/Animation Schools

Hi,

        I am currently a sophomore at the University of Notre Dame and I
am looking for a place that is more suitable to my interests.  I am
majoring in Computer Science and Art Studio and am looking for a program
that combines the two.  I have heard that computer graphics or computer
animation might interest me, so I am looking for schools that have decent
programs in these areas so that I may write and get some more information.
Any info would be helpful.  If you could, please reply by e-mail.

                                                Thanks,
                                                        Kristin

2. transfer camera motion from maya to max

3. Computer Animation Schools?

4. anyone use solidthinking

5. Inquiry about Australasian Computer Animation Schools

6. Computer Animation Schools?

7. Where to go to school for computer animation?

8. Computer Animation Schools?

9. (Q) Computer Animation Schools?

10. Computer Animation School