Quark->EPS->JPG on the web quality problems

Quark->EPS->JPG on the web quality problems

Post by Steve Portiga » Thu, 11 Mar 1999 04:00:00

I am creating CD case liners for that I wish to post on the web so people can
grab the image and make their own color printouts. I am using Quark to create
the file, then saving as EPS, and using Photoshop to convert to JPG. The quality
is poor. I am ending up with 72dpi images, without any of the sharpness of a
Quark-generated file.

How can I turn these layouts into something shareable that is of a decent
quality?

Thanks,

Steve Portigal
--
Steve Portigal                                                  GVO INC

Quark->EPS->JPG on the web quality problems

Post by David Sill » Thu, 11 Mar 1999 04:00:00

When you open most .eps files from within Photoshop, PS rasterizes the file (that
is, creates a bitmapped image). Before it rasterizes, PS should give you the option
of specifying the exact ppi. I'm not certain that it provides this option with all
types of .eps files tho...

Post by Judi So » Sat, 13 Mar 1999 04:00:00

>When you open most .eps files from within Photoshop, PS rasterizes the
file (that
>is, creates a bitmapped image). Before it rasterizes, PS should give you
the option
>of specifying the exact ppi. I'm not certain that it provides this option
with all
>types of .eps files tho...

You only get the option when opening Illustrator EPS files. Otherwise,
when you open a Quark EPS what you are really opening is the PICT/TIFF
Preview of the EPS file and you are not given a choice for the ppi.

I've been told that Transverter Pro is a good application for getting
Quark files into Photoshop. <http://www.techpool.com/>

--
Judi Sohn

<http://members.tripod.com/juderi/home.html>

Quark->EPS->JPG on the web quality problems

Post by Michael Dymu » Sat, 13 Mar 1999 04:00:00

As long as you remember to save the EPS from Quark with NO PREVIEW (that
one's very important), Photoshop will give you the dialog box asking for
dimensions and resolution.  It also makes it so that the resulting JPEG
file doesn't have a lot of noise inherent in the preview of the file.

I learned this one the hard way.

Michael Dymund

> >When you open most .eps files from within Photoshop, PS rasterizes the
> file (that
> >is, creates a bitmapped image). Before it rasterizes, PS should give you
> the option
> >of specifying the exact ppi. I'm not certain that it provides this option
> with all
> >types of .eps files tho...

> You only get the option when opening Illustrator EPS files. Otherwise,
> when you open a Quark EPS what you are really opening is the PICT/TIFF
> Preview of the EPS file and you are not given a choice for the ppi.

> I've been told that Transverter Pro is a good application for getting
> Quark files into Photoshop. <http://www.techpool.com/>

Quark->EPS->JPG on the web quality problems

Post by Lauren Cros » Thu, 01 Apr 1999 04:00:00

You can also get a chooser extension calles print2pict, then use the
pict file in photoshop to convert to jpeg.

Print2pict is a little flaky with some fonts but it has bailed me out of
a lot of time crunch situations where saving/opening/parsing my quark
file would have taken an excruciatingly long time due to file size..
HTH

--Lauren Cross

Post by Sunny Sea » Thu, 22 Apr 1999 04:00:00

>You can also get a chooser extension calles print2pict, then use the
>pict file in photoshop to convert to jpeg.

>Print2pict is a little flaky with some fonts but it has bailed me out of
>a lot of time crunch situations where saving/opening/parsing my quark
>file would have taken an excruciatingly long time due to file size..
>HTH

yes but using a PICT file cna lead to low resolution graphics........

Sunny

Post by Bruce L Gru » Thu, 22 Apr 1999 04:00:00

>>You can also get a chooser extension calles print2pict, then use the
>>pict file in photoshop to convert to jpeg.

>>Print2pict is a little flaky with some fonts but it has bailed me out of
>>a lot of time crunch situations where saving/opening/parsing my quark
>>file would have taken an excruciatingly long time due to file size..
>>HTH

>yes but using a PICT file cna lead to low resolution graphics........

How?  PICT supports vectors just like EPS and supports any resolution of
bitmap (as demonstrated by the 2000 DPI bitmap I just created in
SuperPaint)

1. Quark-->EPS-->Quark?

  >   >  . . . the not-quite-as-quick or elegant solution would be with
  >   > taking screen captures of the page, reassembling them in Photoshop
and
  >   > converting them to CMYK--or in this case grayscale.

  > Thanx for this. I never thought of doing a screen grab but I guess it
should work since
  > I only need 170 dpi on the reduced grayscale  image. I'm never too sure
what dimensions
  > screen grabs are: are they the actual size of the selection area in
pixels... ie the bigger
  > the monitor, the more data you can grab? Presumably there is nothing to
be gained by
  > increasing the resolution above 72 dpi of the image which is being
grabbed? -- unless
  > that's the only way to get it to fit onto the screen...

  > I guess I would end up with an image about 12 inches high at 72dpi on my
  > 20in monitor which should give me a  reasonable size end image at 170
dpi.
  >This job isn't being out put on an imagesetter but if it were, and if I
increased the reolution
  > of the final image by reducing its dimensions still further, would it
print OK?

150 dpi at 100% is usually enough for laser printing. If you feel you need
greater resolution, you can always increase your view percentage and tile the
captures back in Photoshop. One thing in PS that you can't easily do with a
Quark EPS is punch up the grayscale contrast

One hint about screen captures is that they always seem to be a bit sharper
when in bitmap alignment. That means viewing, capturing and placing in the
document in sizes such as 192, 96, 48, 72, 24, 36, etc. percent. (As opposed
to 200, 100, 50. 75, 25, etc.).

- Al Sherer, TRoU BBS, Chicago area

2. gllist

3. Wanted Used PAR or PVR

5. *ZENtropy!*: New Reviews Online for Games, DeBabelizer Pro, etc.

6. Quark EPS -> Illustrator EPS

7. EPS-->CGM, CGM-->EPS

8. another way of explaining this>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

9. Operating Systems >>>>>>>>>>>>>

10. jpg->pict or jpg->gif converter?