When, (Month and year) did the very first ray-tracer ever come out for a home computer?

When, (Month and year) did the very first ray-tracer ever come out for a home computer?

Post by z.. » Thu, 19 Aug 1999 04:00:00

I can not sem to find that out. I know DKB Trace, the one that became POVRay
came out in 1990, but I know that was not the first. Thanks...

Post by Ken » Thu, 19 Aug 1999 04:00:00

> I can not sem to find that out. I know DKB Trace, the one that became POVRay
> came out in 1990, but I know that was not the first. Thanks...

I don't know but if you ever do find out please let us know. I hear this
question from time to time and it would be nice to have an answer ready.

--
Ken Tyler

See my 700+ Povray and 3D Rendering and Raytracing Links at:

When, (Month and year) did the very first ray-tracer ever come out for a home computer?

Post by hajo smulder » Thu, 19 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Probably ssg on Amiga (1986) Check out
http://www.access.digex.net/~erniew/juggler.html

My first raytracers were Sculpt3d and silver which became Turbo Silver which
became imagine.

Hajo

>> I can not sem to find that out. I know DKB Trace, the one that became
POVRay
>> came out in 1990, but I know that was not the first. Thanks...

>I don't know but if you ever do find out please let us know. I hear this
>question from time to time and it would be nice to have an answer ready.

>--
>Ken Tyler

>See my 700+ Povray and 3D Rendering and Raytracing Links at:
>http://home.pacbell.net/tylereng/index.html

When, (Month and year) did the very first ray-tracer ever come out for a home computer?

Post by Doug Littl » Thu, 19 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> I can not sem to find that out. I know DKB Trace, the one that became
POVRay
> came out in 1990, but I know that was not the first. Thanks...

Well, before POVRay v1.0, I was looking at DKB. And before that it was QRT
on an 8MHz Atari ST! :-)

Even before these, I played with something pretty strange called GFA
Raytrace (!) and the first raytracer I ever came in contact with was called
Pearl. It was written in Basic and only supported spheres, planes and
possibly cylinders - with either checker or mirrored surfaces.

There were almost certainly home-computer raytracers before this, but I
guess not very many. That's going back to about 1986-ish. Most of the
implementations before that were being developed on workstations for
graphics research.

Doug.

Post by Mark VandeWetterin » Thu, 19 Aug 1999 04:00:00

> > I can not sem to find that out. I know DKB Trace, the one that became
> POVRay
> > came out in 1990, but I know that was not the first. Thanks...

> Well, before POVRay v1.0, I was looking at DKB. And before that it was QRT
> on an 8MHz Atari ST! :-)

> Even before these, I played with something pretty strange called GFA
> Raytrace (!) and the first raytracer I ever came in contact with was called
> Pearl. It was written in Basic and only supported spheres, planes and
> possibly cylinders - with either checker or mirrored surfaces.

> There were almost certainly home-computer raytracers before this, but I
> guess not very many. That's going back to about 1986-ish. Most of the
> implementations before that were being developed on workstations for
> graphics research.

> Doug.

My raytracer (MTV) was begun in the 1986 timeframe and was posted to
comp.sources.unix around November of 1988.  I'd been working on
raytracers off and on since 1984, but those tracers exist only in
useless 9-track tapes in some landfill somewhere.  My raytracer was one
of the first widely available ones that implemented bounding volume
hierarchies, and helped inspire a bunch of people.  I still get
occasional queries, and still occasionally hack on the code (hey, 14 or
so years later, it still compiles and works!).

The first machine I ran it on was a vax 11/750, which was a < 1 mip
machine.  It's a bit more fun to run it on my 350Mhz celeron box at
home, which cost less than the vt100 that I used to program on back at
the University of Oregon.

Anyway, there is a trip down memory lane...

        Mark

--
Mark T. VandeWettering                  Telescope Information (and more)

No Code International Member #1173

When, (Month and year) did the very first ray-tracer ever come out for a home computer?

Post by Becky & Jason Hallida » Thu, 19 Aug 1999 04:00:00

The first raytracing I ever saw was the famous juggler done on an Amiga 1000, made
with what eventually became Sculpt 4D I think  Obviously ray tracing was around
before this came out, (around 1984?) but this was when it really gained
popularity. It really made my Commodore 64 seem really lame at that time.  Anyway
just my 2 cents.

Jason

> > I can not sem to find that out. I know DKB Trace, the one that became POVRay
> > came out in 1990, but I know that was not the first. Thanks...

> I don't know but if you ever do find out please let us know. I hear this
> question from time to time and it would be nice to have an answer ready.

> --
> Ken Tyler

> See my 700+ Povray and 3D Rendering and Raytracing Links at:
> http://home.pacbell.net/tylereng/index.html

When, (Month and year) did the very first ray-tracer ever come out for a home computer?

Post by Alex Magido » Thu, 19 Aug 1999 04:00:00

This discussion adds a whole new twist to "You know you've been raytracing too
long"

> > > I can not sem to find that out. I know DKB Trace, the one that became
> > POVRay
> > > came out in 1990, but I know that was not the first. Thanks...

> > Well, before POVRay v1.0, I was looking at DKB. And before that it was QRT
> > on an 8MHz Atari ST! :-)

> > Even before these, I played with something pretty strange called GFA
> > Raytrace (!) and the first raytracer I ever came in contact with was called
> > Pearl. It was written in Basic and only supported spheres, planes and
> > possibly cylinders - with either checker or mirrored surfaces.

> > There were almost certainly home-computer raytracers before this, but I
> > guess not very many. That's going back to about 1986-ish. Most of the
> > implementations before that were being developed on workstations for
> > graphics research.

> > Doug.

> My raytracer (MTV) was begun in the 1986 timeframe and was posted to
> comp.sources.unix around November of 1988.  I'd been working on
> raytracers off and on since 1984, but those tracers exist only in
> useless 9-track tapes in some landfill somewhere.  My raytracer was one
> of the first widely available ones that implemented bounding volume
> hierarchies, and helped inspire a bunch of people.  I still get
> occasional queries, and still occasionally hack on the code (hey, 14 or
> so years later, it still compiles and works!).

> The first machine I ran it on was a vax 11/750, which was a < 1 mip
> machine.  It's a bit more fun to run it on my 350Mhz celeron box at
> home, which cost less than the vt100 that I used to program on back at
> the University of Oregon.

> Anyway, there is a trip down memory lane...

>         Mark

> --
> Mark T. VandeWettering                  Telescope Information (and more)

> No Code International Member #1173

--
You Know You've Been Raytracing Too Long When:
 You boot up in the morning and your computer has a message waiting for

When, (Month and year) did the very first ray-tracer ever come out for a home computer?

Post by Stephan Ahone » Thu, 19 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>This discussion adds a whole new twist to "You know you've been raytracing
too
>long"

I knew I shoudn't have started that thread.

Sig for a Day
Stephan Ahonen, ICQ 491101
Update your sig file often
Come back tomorrow for a different sig!
Backspace a single "s" from my addy to reply by email

Post by z.. » Fri, 20 Aug 1999 04:00:00

> Probably ssg on Amiga (1986) Check out
> http://www.access.digex.net/~erniew/juggler.html

> My first raytracers were Sculpt3d and silver which became Turbo Silver which
> became imagine.

> Hajo

Thanks. That is pretty much what I was looking for. Very interesting....

1. First version of my Ray Tracer released

Finally I got my little ray-tracer to a stage where I think that releasing
it to the public could make sense. Its web home is at

 http://www.povworld.org/raytracer/

You find there the (more or less well commented) source and a more detailed
description of its features with some example pictures. You can also have a
look at the API there. The ray-tracer is written in C++. It comes with some
features that I would like to see in a future version of POV-Ray.

Note that this is a realease for programmers only. The ray tracer does not
come with a parser so the only way to create new scenes is by programming
them. That is also why providing pre-compiled binaries does not make much
sense.

If there is enough interest in discussing about the source code or further
developping of it I can set up an appropriate communicating media.

Feature List:

# Object
    * Box
    * Sphere
    * Plane
    * ''fast'' Isosurface using polynom-extrapolation

# Bounding Boxes
    * Hierarchy

# CSG
    * Union
    * ''fast'' Merge and Intersection, speed in the same order as union
    * CSG copy by reference

# Pigment
    * Patterns
    * Pigment Maps
    * Camera-is-a-Pigment principle

# Texture
    * Phong
    * Transparency

# Media
    * absorbing, emitting, scattering
    * Density Mapping
    * ''fast'' Media using advanced integration technique and light cache
      (experimental!)

# Light Source
    * Point Light

# Output
    * Write to PPM format file

As said you find some more info on
http://www.povworld.org/raytracer/features/.

Some example rendered pictures are on:
 http://www.povworld.org/raytracer/features/node6.html
 http://www.povworld.org/raytracer/features/node12.html
 http://www.povworld.org/raytracer/features/node16.html
 http://www.povworld.org/raytracer/features/node21.html

Happy programming!

- Micha Riser

2. Lightwave availability in U.K. ??

3. FLI animations done with our local ray-tracer

4. ATTN POV TEAM: One, maybe two, bugs

5. 3DSite+Unishare: the next web revolution comes first to those who join first

6. S3 Virge driver for 3d studio

7. Lightwave for PC - when??

8. ARTIST OF THE MONTH/YEAR **PRIZES**

9. What month and year was DKB Trace introduced?