Power Glove

Post by anh01.. » Sun, 16 Sep 1990 06:34:00

I just read the article in the July issue of Byte about Data Gloves. My
question is about the side note about converting Mattles Power Glove
for use on the PC. This is something that I would like to try, but
I would be interested in hearing from anyone who has successfully
done this. The article gives the brief outline but not any specifics
about what to do after it's all wired up. Any information, tips, or
pointers in the right direction, are appreciative. Thanks in advance.

Power Glove

Post by Chris Sh » Tue, 18 Sep 1990 11:09:55

>I just read the article in the July issue of Byte about Data Gloves. My
>question is about the side note about converting Mattles Power Glove
>for use on the PC. This is something that I would like to try, but
>I would be interested in hearing from anyone who has successfully
>done this. The article gives the brief outline but not any specifics
>about what to do after it's all wired up. Any information, tips, or
>pointers in the right direction, are appreciative. Thanks in advance.

AGE (PowerGlove designers/manufacturers) and VPL (DataGlove designers and
manufacturers) settled their lawsuit as much as 6 months ago, with the
upshot being that VPL will "soon" start selling a PC-attachable low-resolution
HackerGlove for roughly $200. Maybe more, I don't know. Anyway, the bottom line
is that taking apart your PowerGlove so that you can attach it to your PC
may be more trouble than it's worth, since you will "soon" be able to buy
a useful version of the PowerGlove for not too much more than you paid for
the PowerGlove.

Of course, how soon is "soon", that is the question.
--
Chris Shaw     University of Alberta

CatchPhrase: Bogus as HELL !

Power Glove

Post by Jim Suri » Thu, 20 Sep 1990 22:28:27

Quote:>HackerGlove for roughly $200. Maybe more, I don't know. Anyway, the bottom li
>a useful version of the PowerGlove for not too much more than you paid for
>the PowerGlove.

I DO NOT call a price increase of 3-4 times "not too much more". If on the
other hand some useful software fo my particular computer is also include
well maybe?? I still think its kind of a rip off considering the power glove
can do this now but they don't want us to know how :(

--
                                         ____________________________________

NCR Peripheral Products Division        | I did not say this, I was not here |
work (316)636-8586 home (316)721-6280  /_____________________________________|

Power Glove

Post by Jonathan Ri » Sat, 22 Sep 1990 19:06:32

Can someone tell me if this rumoured computer-compatible version of the
PowerGlove is functionally the same as the current Nintendo version? I mean,
are they essentially the same glove, or are they going to jazz it up a bit
(higher data rate, increased finger flexion/hand position/hand orientation
precision)? You see, I've got a friend on holiday in the U.S. who is going to
try to get me a PowerGlove. Now if this new glove isn't really going to give
me any functional improvement over the old one I don't mind trying to hack
together an interface to my Sun, based on the info in Byte (providing it's
possible :-), but if the new one is going to be a much better product, then
I'll phone my friend right now to cancel the order. By the way, just to ease
my mind, has anyone out there hooked a PowerGlove up to a Sun Sparcstation?

-- Jonathan

Power Glove

Post by Mark Gre » Thu, 27 Sep 1990 04:54:34

> Can someone tell me if this rumoured computer-compatible version of the
> PowerGlove is functionally the same as the current Nintendo version? I mean,
> are they essentially the same glove, or are they going to jazz it up a bit
> (higher data rate, increased finger flexion/hand position/hand orientation
> precision)?

> -- Jonathan

I can tell you what I know the new glove.  The official title of the
product is "VPL/AGE Power Glove (TM) Education Support Program".  The
estimated retail price of the unit is $150->$200.  There will probably
be four interfaces available RS-232, IBM Compatible card, PS/2 and ADB.
There will be 5 degrees of position plus 2 bits per finger.  From the
information I have received it sounds like they are doing a redesign
job, but it will be the same basic glove technology as the Power Glove.
Since an interface is included in the package, its seems like a reasonable
price.