Wake from sleep video problems

Post by Phil Lefebvr » Tue, 05 Aug 2003 10:07:13

I have a 23" Apple Cinema Display LCD and a 17" Apple ColorSync CRT
attached to the stock ATi Radeon 9000 AGP card and an ATi Radeon 7000
PCI card respectively, in my G4/Dual 1 GHz running OS X 10.2.6.

A while back, sometimes after waking from sleep the ColorSync would only
come up at about half brightness. I assumed it meant the 5 y.o. CRT was
about to meet its maker, but I freaked when the the LCD started doing
the same thing. Then I found that messing with any of the video settings
would restore one or the other to full normal brightness.

Has anyone seen this before, and/or have a suggestion as how to fix it
permanently?

Thanks.

--
Chicago, IL
Remove "GO" to reply.

Post by Mike » Wed, 06 Aug 2003 00:22:35

> I have a 23" Apple Cinema Display LCD and a 17" Apple ColorSync CRT
> attached to the stock ATi Radeon 9000 AGP card and an ATi Radeon 7000
> PCI card respectively, in my G4/Dual 1 GHz running OS X 10.2.6.

> A while back, sometimes after waking from sleep the ColorSync would only
> come up at about half brightness. I assumed it meant the 5 y.o. CRT was
> about to meet its maker, but I freaked when the the LCD started doing
> the same thing. Then I found that messing with any of the video settings
> would restore one or the other to full normal brightness.

> Has anyone seen this before, and/or have a suggestion as how to fix it
> permanently?

> Thanks.

There may be a fix for this, but if there isn't one documented at
apple.com, assume it's a bug that needs to be reported.

There have been a lot of issues (bugs) that have come up involving
sleeping/waking, and anything involving the display or OpenGL, et al.
When they fix one, another pops up. I won't comment on why, but be
assured that it's not you, it's them, and they need to get their shit
together on this.

Make sure to include a full description of the problem that someone
else can easily reproduce, and a full Apple System Profiler Report. If
you can reproduce the problem under a simpler configuration, it would
be better; the bug will languish until somebody duplicates your setup.

Post by Phil Lefebvr » Wed, 06 Aug 2003 10:27:18

> > I have a 23" Apple Cinema Display LCD and a 17" Apple ColorSync CRT
> > attached to the stock ATi Radeon 9000 AGP card and an ATi Radeon 7000
> > PCI card respectively, in my G4/Dual 1 GHz running OS X 10.2.6.

> > A while back, sometimes after waking from sleep the ColorSync would only
> > come up at about half brightness. I assumed it meant the 5 y.o. CRT was
> > about to meet its maker, but I freaked when the the LCD started doing
> > the same thing. Then I found that messing with any of the video settings
> > would restore one or the other to full normal brightness.

> > Has anyone seen this before, and/or have a suggestion as how to fix it
> > permanently?

> > Thanks.

> There may be a fix for this, but if there isn't one documented at
> apple.com, assume it's a bug that needs to be reported.

> There have been a lot of issues (bugs) that have come up involving
> sleeping/waking, and anything involving the display or OpenGL, et al.
> When they fix one, another pops up. I won't comment on why, but be
> assured that it's not you, it's them, and they need to get their shit
> together on this.

Agreed.

Quote:> Make sure to include a full description of the problem that someone
> else can easily reproduce, and a full Apple System Profiler Report. If
> you can reproduce the problem under a simpler configuration, it would
> be better; the bug will languish until somebody duplicates your setup.

Agreed, but the problem isn't consistently reproducible. The LCD came up
dim 4 times over the weekend, and not once since. ColorSync is no
better. I guess I'll start keeping detailed notes. Meanwhile, glad to
have the Monitors menulet available.

Thanks.

--
Chicago, IL
Remove "GO" to reply.

1. Video projection from PowerBooks G3 / G4 without sleep/wake-up?

My PowerBook G3 needs to go through a sleep/wake-up cycle before it
recognizes that an LCD beamer has been connected to its video output port
(or for that matter any other kind of monitor device).

I do not want to nag, but I regret to have noticed that on most Wintel PCs
one can activate/deactivate the video output by using some kind of alt-F-key
combination, not requiring a sleep/wake-up cycle. This is much more
convenient, of course.

Questions:

1. Is there a way that I have not yet discovered to activate/deactivate the
PowerBook G3's video output without going through sleep/wake-up?

2. Does the titanium PowerBook G4 also suffer from this feature? If not,
then that may be sufficient reason for me to replace my G3 with a G4.

Frans A. Gerritsen

2. GeForce 256 DDR/Win32 at Sun fixed frequency monitor

3. Problem with sleep mode

4. Font Issue.

5. Sleeping Tiger

6. Voronoi Diagrams

7. imac and intuos sleep prob -fix

8. motion & shape capture

9. iMac DV freezes when put to sleep.

10. Does PM continue to render in sleep mode?