IRIX 5.3 Motif scrolled windows don't have inset appearance

IRIX 5.3 Motif scrolled windows don't have inset appearance

Post by Roger Bacal » Fri, 03 Nov 1995 04:00:00

Hi, I recently upgraded to IRIX 5.3 from IRIX 5.2 and now my X/Motif
GUI's I build which contain scrolled windows don't have the "inset"
appearance they did in IRIX 5.2.  The "inset" appearance makes the
work window of the scrolled window have a shadow-in look similar to
an XmFrame.

Is this a known "bug" in IRIX 5.3?  Is there a patch or workaround
for this?

Thanks for any info.

- Roger -

--
Roger Bacalzo
GTE Systems Operations

Post by Allan Schaff » Fri, 03 Nov 1995 04:00:00

>> Hi, I recently upgraded to IRIX 5.3 from IRIX 5.2 and now my X/Motif
>> GUI's I build which contain scrolled windows don't have the "inset"
>> appearance they did in IRIX 5.2.  The "inset" appearance makes the
>> work window of the scrolled window have a shadow-in look similar to
>> an XmFrame.

>> Is this a known "bug" in IRIX 5.3?  Is there a patch or workaround
>> for this?

>I have also noticed this problem on our 5.3 machines.

Indeed, this is a bug in 5.3, #280058.  It is fixed for the next
general release (6.2)

As a workaround, try toggling sgiMode; as I recall it only occured
when sgiMode was on (or maybe off .. can't remember)

Allan
--

Silicon Graphics                  http://reality.sgi.com/employees/aschaffe

Post by Doug Sulliv » Fri, 03 Nov 1995 04:00:00

> Newsgroups: comp.sys.sgi.bugs,comp.sys.sgi.graphics
> Date: 2 Nov 1995 19:49:04 GMT

> >> Hi, I recently upgraded to IRIX 5.3 from IRIX 5.2 and now my X/Motif
> >> GUI's I build which contain scrolled windows don't have the "inset"
> >> appearance they did in IRIX 5.2.  The "inset" appearance makes the
> >> work window of the scrolled window have a shadow-in look similar to
> >> an XmFrame.

> >> Is this a known "bug" in IRIX 5.3?  Is there a patch or workaround
> >> for this?

> >I have also noticed this problem on our 5.3 machines.

> Indeed, this is a bug in 5.3, #280058.  It is fixed for the next
> general release (6.2)

> As a workaround, try toggling sgiMode; as I recall it only occured
> when sgiMode was on (or maybe off .. can't remember)

Thanks for replying, but what is sgiMode? How do I access it?
Is there a patch for this? Support Advantage says it's fixed, but
I can't find a patch that include it?

Doug

DEMACO, Inc.                        | Phone: (217) 355-4748
100 Trade Centre Drive, Suite 303   |   FAX: (217) 355-4749
Champaign, IL 61820                 |

Post by Peter Sulliv » Fri, 03 Nov 1995 04:00:00

| > Indeed, this is a bug in 5.3, #280058.  It is fixed for the next
| > general release (6.2)
| >
| > As a workaround, try toggling sgiMode; as I recall it only occured
| > when sgiMode was on (or maybe off .. can't remember)
|
| Thanks for replying, but what is sgiMode? How do I access it?
| Is there a patch for this? Support Advantage says it's fixed, but
| I can't find a patch that include it?

What is sgiMode?  We just wrote an article on sgiMode & schemes for
the Developer Program's newsletter....

If you can think of any other ways to help get the word out about
sgiMode, please send 'em my way.

SGI Look and Feel
----------

As a manufacturer of graphic computers, Silicon Graphics prides itself
on great-looking graphics.  SGI uses industry standard OSF/Motif as its user
interface toolkit, but we extended standard Motif with enhanced graphics
and color and font schemes.  This allows SGI and its developers to use
a standard toolkit, yet still have a distinctive look that stands out.
This distinctive and polished look requires no code changes and may even
help you reduce developement time.

SGI Enhanced Graphics (sgiMode)
----------

The Indigo Magic look (sgiMode) contains a number of graphic
modifications made to the standard Motif interface. These modification
improve the appearance and ease of use of applications with no impact
on the component layout.  Some of the differences between the Indigo
Magic look and the standard IRIS IM look are illustrated in Figure 1.  <---Add this sentence
In comparison, the Indigo Magic look:

     Uses smooth shading with a rounded dimensional look to create a
     high-quality visual appearance. Numerous sharp bevels, such as
     those found in standard Motif components, detract from rather than
     add to the visual presentation of an application.

     Adds additional visual feedback for selected checkboxes and radio
     buttons. A distinct red arrow and a blue triangle clearly indicate
     a selected checkbox and radio button, respectively.

     Adds locate highlight (the object brightens as the pointer passes
     over it) so that users can tell which components are live
     functional objects and which are passive graphics or are
     disabled.  Locate highlight also gives users feedback as to
     whether or not the application is listening.

     Uses a stroked underline to indicate mnemonics in menus simply to
     give the look of an application some pizazz.

     Uses decals instead of stacked, 3D elements to make it easier
     for users to see the components. There is no gratuitous use of 3D
     such as the raised arrows and rectangular option buttons in
     standard Motif.

     Enhances scrollbars by providing a grip on the slider used in
     scrollbars and a temporarily indented impression to indicate the
     original location of the slider during the scrolling process. The
     grip makes it easier for users to recognize the slider as
     something to be dragged rather than a button to be pressed.

     Provides a more consolidated treatment for composite objects. For
     example, the Indigo Magic look visually integrates the arrow
     stepper buttons in scrollbars with the scrollbars themselves to
     give a less cluttered look. In addition, the scrollbars are
     visually integrated with the client pane as much as possible to
     make the whole assembly appear as a single, integrated unit.

To enable sgiMode add the following resource to you application's
app-defaults file (in the /usr/lib/X11/app-defaults directory):

<AppClassName>*useSchemes:     all

where <AppClassName> is your application's class name.

Schemes
----------

In addition to the graphic modifications, the Indigo Magic look
includes schemes.  A scheme is a pre-packaged collection of colors and
fonts that users can select & modify with the Color Scheme Control
Panel. As a developer, getting your application to work
with schemes and the Color Scheme Control Panel is very simple task,
and can actually save development time. All you need to do is include 1
line in your application's app-defaults file (in the
/usr/lib/X11/app-defaults directory):

<AppClassName>*useSchemes:     all

where <AppClassName> is your application's class name. This activates all
aspects of schemes.

If your application has resources set for fonts and colors, you should comment
them out and see how the application looks with the default scheme.
Developers can eliminate the tedious job of picking colors and fonts that
look good together and assigning them to every widget. The schemes mechanism
sets a default color & font for every widget based on the widgets class.

If you need to override a scheme default, use a symbolic scheme name from
the directory /usr/lib/X11/schemes/Base.  For example:

<AppClassName>*aLabelWidget.background: SGI_DYNAMIC LargeBoldLabelFont

For more technical details about sgiMode and schemes, reference the
Indigo Magic Desktop Integration Guide (Chapter 2 & 3) & the Indigo
Magic User Interface Guidelines (Chapter 3).

Pete Sullivan                           SGI Motif Developers - please set:

Silicon Graphics - UI Design & Usability    *useSchemes: all
http://reality.sgi.com/employees/pete_esd/

1. Irix 5.3 Motif/IM examples (IDO) need UIL?

True, it's not on the IDO dist - try the _IRIX_ dist under:

        motif_eoe.*.uil

Question for the SGI folks - is there any particular reason why the UIL
Compiler is on the IRIX CDs rather than on the IDO CD?  Is it used by
anyone / anything except X/Motif developers and the above-mentioned
example code?

2. Help tying knots

3. IRIX 5.3 on an Impact -- X Windows problems

4. Please Help - Rendering in reverse??

5. Help: Can't compile povray (IRIX 5.3 R5K indy)

6. Hypervoxels Field Fire

7. Problem porting X application from IRIX 5.3 to IRIX 6.4

8. GPF Win 95

9. IrisGL problem: IRIX 5.3 --> IRIX 6.2

10. 5.3 plugins don't work on 6.0 ?

11. POV-RAY for Irix 5.3 - help

12. POVRAY for SGI Irix 5.3

13. Povray 3.01 compilation on SGI Irix 5.3