Anybody used a Muztek scanner on a Mac?

Post by Bruce McAla » Fri, 19 Jan 1996 04:00:00

: Has anybody used a Muztek scanner on a Mac?  They are sold at Costco for
: a quite low price, and the specs seem okay.  I'm wondering about the
: quality, though, since I've never heard of them and they are so
: inexpensive.

: Thanks,

: Jay

Yep. Bought one from PriceCostco. $479. Includes ColorIt!
by MicroFrontier, the MusTek plugin, and the OCR by Omnipage.

It's a 400x800 optical, 8.5 by 14 single pass scanner.
30 Bit color, 10 bit greyscale.

The first (bad) experience was right out of the box. It included
a scsi cable, but no scsi terminator. In looking around town, I
apparently was the first person in 3 years to go looking for a
50 pin centronix scsi terminator. Fortunately for me, I had some
extras on hand at work. A 60 mile round trip for a terminator...

Once I got it all plugged in and running, I kept having problems
with it* the '040 mac (Performa 578, 8Mb) when I'd run
a prescan the second time. I'm finding that there is no substitute
for real ram. Turned off that virtual memory, and so far, no more
hangs on prescan. I do get a crash on occasion tho, after several
scans. I suspect it just eats up all the memory after a while.
(Ever heard of memory leaks?...)

ColorIt! doesn't have a jpeg export, tiff seems to be the most
common format outside of the Mac's pict world. I have prompted
both the net on comp.sys.mac.graphics and MicroFrontier regarding
this issue.

Other than that, we have been at the level of "Somewhat satisfied"
with the purchase.

If you would like to hear more, send me e-mail.

--Crossposted to comp.sys.mac.graphics,comp.sys.mac.hardware.misc --

--
--Bruce McAlary, Wilsonville, Oregon.

Anybody used a Muztek scanner on a Mac?

Post by Bruce McAla » Sat, 20 Jan 1996 04:00:00

Here I am correcting my own mistakes again...

RE: the OCR. I put Omnipage, I meant WordLinx....

-Thanks.

[...]

: --
: --Bruce McAlary, Wilsonville, Oregon.

--
--Bruce McAlary, Mentor Graphics Customer Support, Wilsonville, Oregon.

1. Chinon DS-3000 color scanner - Anybody using?

   I recently received some literature about the Chinon DS-3000 scanner.
According to the specs, it can scan color at 75dpi , up to 4096 colors,
and handle 3D objects.  the software included will save the image in either
TIFF or PCX format (PC) and handles either a serial or parallel interface.
all this for 'under' $1000.
   Has anyone out there has the opportunity to actually use one of these
things?  I'd be very interested in hearing about any experiences with this
or even other color scanners.  (are there any?)  We deal almost
exclusively in the UNIX world, so whatever scanner we purchase would have
to be capable of serial interface so that we could write a driver for it.
   Thanx in advance for any info.

2. Which 6.0b version?

3. Anybody using an AGFA T1200 scanner?

4. resizing XBM

5. Anybody using a Relisys Scorpio Scanner?

6. Various questions

7. Anybody using QuickDraw3D on Mac?

8. glibc-runtime-2.0.5c

9. 35mm Film scanners....anybody have one?

10. anybody tried the new relisys modular scanners?

11. Abaton 300FB Scanner--Anybody have interface-s/w?

12. anybody used Irfan View ??

13. anybody used WACOM PenPartner ???