pix

Post by Thibaut Dureui » Tue, 10 Oct 2000 04:00:00

www.geocities.com/coolcolj/ccj_baldfemalehead.jpg

www.geocities.com/coolcolj/ccj_InsideLW_radiosity.jpg

  thibaut.dureuil-renexter.vcf
< 1K Download

pix

Post by Warp » Tue, 10 Oct 2000 04:00:00

  Your post contained 24 lines of text. Only two lines had your message.

  Please don't do it. Post just those two lines, that's it.

pix

Post by Ken » Tue, 10 Oct 2000 04:00:00

>   Your post contained 24 lines of text. Only two lines had your message.

>   Please don't do it. Post just those two lines, that's it.

Use a real news program and you won't have that problem. :)

pix

Post by Warp » Wed, 11 Oct 2000 04:00:00

: Use a real news program and you won't have that problem. :)

  I do. The problem is with those who suppose that everyone is using
a html browser to read the news.

pix

Post by Markus Beck » Thu, 12 Oct 2000 04:00:00

>>   Please don't do it. Post just those two lines, that's it.
>Use a real news program and you won't have that problem. :)

I didn't have that problem. But that can't be the solution...

Markus

pix

Post by Ken » Thu, 12 Oct 2000 04:00:00

> : Use a real news program and you won't have that problem. :)

>   I do. The problem is with those who suppose that everyone is using
> a html browser to read the news.

So you are saying your "real" news reader doesn't have html capabilities.
Why on earth would you run software with such limited capabilities when
better can be used. If you call that real you are suffering from delusions.

--
Ken Tyler

pix

Post by Markus Beck » Thu, 12 Oct 2000 04:00:00

>: Use a real news program and you won't have that problem. :)

>  I do. The problem is with those who suppose that everyone is using
>a html browser to read the news.

I'm not sure if he meant it that way (at the moment not knowing which
reader Ken uses...). I understood it the following way:

Use a reader with a good score/kill-file and you can filter away all
HTML posts (such as I do ;-)

Markus

pix

Post by Bob H » Thu, 12 Oct 2000 04:00:00

| > : Use a real news program and you won't have that problem. :)
| >
| >   I do. The problem is with those who suppose that everyone is using
| > a html browser to read the news.
|
| So you are saying your "real" news reader doesn't have html capabilities.
| Why on earth would you run software with such limited capabilities when
| better can be used. If you call that real you are suffering from
delusions.

Maybe it's more a anti-establishment belief  :-)
Anyway... the padded news message was caused by a personal business card
which had this as part of it:

x-mozilla-html:FALSE
org:RENAULT;Direction du Design Industriel
adr:;;(Dpt 1602)TCR AVA D03;- 1, avenue du Golf -;78288 GUYANCOURT CEDEX
(FRANCE);;

Which I thought was interesting.  Note the address given and yet in the
vcard itself there is no such thing (that I could find).  Only name, email,
department and company were given.  So it could have been a larger post than
it was had it contained info in every possible entry field (wonder who lists
children in theirs?:-)
Well, it's another case of progress showing once again.  Imo all newsreaders
meant to do only plain text should be wise to this stuff and begin ignoring
it at the time of retrieval.

Bob

pix

Post by Jeff L » Thu, 12 Oct 2000 04:00:00

>> : Use a real news program and you won't have that problem. :)

>>   I do. The problem is with those who suppose that everyone is using
>> a html browser to read the news.

> So you are saying your "real" news reader doesn't have html capabilities.
> Why on earth would you run software with such limited capabilities when
> better can be used. If you call that real you are suffering from delusions.

'Scuse me, Ken, wasn't it you who, some time back, got on a fairly high
horse about people posting inflammatory statements like the ones you're
now posting in this thread?

In fact, didn't you take it upon yourself to issue a proclamation (on
the povray newsserver) forbidding people from posting exactly the sort
of thing you just posted above?  Or was that a different Ken Tyler?

Given your stance on the issue of inflammatory posting styles in the
past (assuming my recollection is not faulty), I fail to understand why
you seem to find it impossible to compare and contrast the feature sets
of dedicated nntp agents versus news-enabled HTML browsers without
resorting to condescension and insults.

--

|                                                                     |
|                Etiam singula minima maximi momenti est.             |

pix

Post by Bob H » Thu, 12 Oct 2000 04:00:00

P.S.
Anyone else notice the message was apparently intended for a bakers dozen
(13) other people, most all are of the same Renault company email address?
I can see some reason to the Vcard going out among fellow coworkers or
whatever.  My netiquette is never up to reasoning perfectly though.  Still,
I have to say any newsreader should be able to distinguish these sort of
things and prevent them at the readers end since no one can count on the
message posters to adhere to rules aquired simply through common courtesy,
etcetera.

Bob

pix

Post by Bob H » Thu, 12 Oct 2000 04:00:00

| > So you are saying your "real" news reader doesn't have html
capabilities.
| > Why on earth would you run software with such limited capabilities when
| > better can be used. If you call that real you are suffering from
delusions.

| In fact, didn't you take it upon yourself to issue a proclamation (on
| the povray newsserver) forbidding people from posting exactly the sort
| of thing you just posted above?  Or was that a different Ken Tyler?

You obviously haven't seen Ken's evil twin before.

Bob

pix

Post by Warp » Fri, 13 Oct 2000 04:00:00

: So you are saying your "real" news reader doesn't have html capabilities.
: Why on earth would you run software with such limited capabilities when
: better can be used. If you call that real you are suffering from delusions.

  Tell me why should I use a software which has limited capabilities to
read the news? Yes, it may have html-support (which has never been part
of the nntp protocol) but it lacks lots of other useful features. Those
features are usually more useful than html.
  And besides, that html browser is extremely heavy, consumes lots of
resources an memory and is slow to use. It also works in idiotic ways
(such as downloading images from the news server twice each time a message
is opened, no matter if the image was already in the cache or not). The
user interface of that browser also leaves a lot to be desired.
  No, I don't think I will start to use a limited and heavy software to read
the news instead of this versatile and efficient one.
  NNTP is not the same thing as HTTP, so HTML doesn't belong here.

1. Newbie question/Scanned pix

I am sure this is a stupid question but hey I am new to scanners and computers.
I lost some pictures and their negatives in a flood but have them saved on my
computer.  Is it possible to get pictures developed from scanned images on a
disc.  Does that make sense?   Thank you in advance.

MJ

2. Stupid question on vectors

3. Pix - Quark4 for PC

4. Just a test, Sorry!