HTML for random access of GIFs?

Post by Kristin Rachael Haywa » Tue, 16 May 1995 04:00:00

Does anyone have any HTML that would allow a visitor, upon clicking
an icon, to have a randomly selected GIF presented to the page?

I have a bunch of GIFs that I would like to cycle through.

--
                     Dr. Kristin Rachael Hayward
Director of Administrative Information Systems/Director of Business Services

HTML for random access of GIFs?

Post by Travis Ant » Tue, 16 May 1995 04:00:00

Quote:> Does anyone have any HTML that would allow a visitor, upon clicking
> an icon, to have a randomly selected GIF presented to the page?

> I have a bunch of GIFs that I would like to cycle through.

This is not something that HTML is capable of. HTML is only a simple
set of formatting tags. To do what you are describing, you would have
to use a cgi program on the server. These are a bit more complicated to
write than HTML.

Try asking in comp.infosystems.www.authoring.cgi to see if there is one
available as freeware or shareware that you could use. Note that the
type of cgi program, whether it is a perl script or something written
in C, and it's installation, even whether you can use one at all will
depend on the type and setup of your web server.

* Travis Anton                                 * Graphic designer     *

* http://www2.msstate.edu/~rna1/portfolio.html * Art director         *
* P.0. Box 2347, Starkville, MS 39759          * Send money           *
*         "Rantings, ravings, and occasional bits of wisdom"          *

1. Random access to JPEG scanlines in libjpeg?

Hello,

Apologies if this has come up before...

Can libjpeg give me instant (fseek) random access to any scanline in
a JPEG?

I'm not sure whether this is the intent of the jpeg_start_output()
function, or if I should be looking elsewhere in libjpeg. I'm just
getting familiar with libjpeg.

I'd like to extract an arbitrary sub-image from a (potentially quite
large) JPEG by extracting just a few scanlines and sending part of
them to an output buffer. Reading and discarding all the scanlines
prior to my "output window" would result in overly slow performance.

Thanks!
    John E.

2. PCX Documentation?

3. Slide Program w/ Random Access???

4. Graphic designers using internet

5. MPEG random access

6. hydrofoil 3d project

7. random access to MPEG file

8. Need Help

9. fast random access pixel I/O on HP's

10. Random access reading with libtiff?

11. wglCreateContext random access violation

12. ANIMATED GIFS ANIMATED GIFS ANIMATED GIFS ANIMATED GIFS

13. html's GIFs look great on SGI, but too large on PC