Can't resize images made from selections without resizing all layers

Can't resize images made from selections without resizing all layers

Post by Bruc » Sun, 07 Apr 2002 10:37:48

Hello,

I'm having a strange problem that I'm wondering if others can
reproduce, and if it is by design or it is a bug.  Here's what
happens:

I select a rectangular section of a pre-existing PSP image and then
paste it as a new image.  Then I click Image, Resize, then select
Actual/print size and specify the larger image size that I want in
inches.  NOTE: By default, I have the 'resize all layers' check box
UNchecked.  When I click Ok, the image is cropped proportionally
instead of resized.  The pixel height and width in the resulting image
stays the same.

Resizing the original image this way works fine, i.e. the resulting
image is resized to the proper dimensions and the pixel height and
width are increased properly.  Even if I select the entire original
image and paste it as a new image, I still get the odd cropping
behavior instead of a properly resized image.

Now, if I attempt to resize the image made from a selection with the
'resize all layers' box checked, everything seems to work fine, even
though the image made from the selection has no active selection and
has only a single layer.  Is this the way PSP resizing is supposed to
work?  Drove me nuts for a while.

Bruce

Post by Kris Zaklik » Sun, 07 Apr 2002 10:56:13

> Hello,

> I'm having a strange problem that I'm wondering if others can
> reproduce, and if it is by design or it is a bug.  Here's what
> happens:

> I select a rectangular section of a pre-existing PSP image and then
> paste it as a new image.  Then I click Image, Resize, then select
> Actual/print size and specify the larger image size that I want in
> inches.  NOTE: By default, I have the 'resize all layers' check box
> UNchecked.  When I click Ok, the image is cropped proportionally
> instead of resized.  The pixel height and width in the resulting image
> stays the same.

> Resizing the original image this way works fine, i.e. the resulting
> image is resized to the proper dimensions and the pixel height and
> width are increased properly.  Even if I select the entire original
> image and paste it as a new image, I still get the odd cropping
> behavior instead of a properly resized image.

> Now, if I attempt to resize the image made from a selection with the
> 'resize all layers' box checked, everything seems to work fine, even
> though the image made from the selection has no active selection and
> has only a single layer.  Is this the way PSP resizing is supposed to
> work?  Drove me nuts for a while.

Yes, it is working as designed. Resizing a regular layer
resizes the data in that layer but does not resize the
canvas. If you use the Mover Tool you can see that layer
data can extend beyond the canvas. Resizing a background
layer causes the canvas to resize. (A background layer
cannot have transparency and is the size of the canvas.)
Checking Resize All Layers includes the possibility that
a background layer is present and causes a change in
canvas size.

> Bruce

Kris Zaklika              Jasc Software, Inc.                   The

1. Stupid question: Resizing a selection or layer?

I'm used to using MGI Photosuite SE and one of the features I liked
about it was that when you copy a selection and paste it somewhere
else, you have the option to stretch the selection after you do the
paste.

I can't for the life of me figure out how to do this in Paint Shop Pro
(or Photoshop for that matter). I would've thought that you could
resize a selection or layer, but I can't seem to work it out.

I'm sure this is a no-brainer! Can anyone help?

Kris

2. VTK & MFC

3. How resize only a layer or selection?

4. Paper in Psp

5. Form Resize (let's try that again without hitting the wrong key)

6. THE MPEG-FAQ - Version 1.1 [Intro]

7. Precise Image Resize or Canvas Resize Problem

8. Program to resize images without losing quality?

9. Resizing images without anti-aliasing

10. resizing without changing energy in image

11. Q: Directional interpolation (for image resizing without blurring the edges)

12. Resizing images without losing quality