Motion blur (was Re: Recommendation for animator for POV frame output)

Motion blur (was Re: Recommendation for animator for POV frame output)

Post by Jeff Garzi » Tue, 21 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Does anyone have any suggestions for doing motion blur in POV?

I compared POV and BMRT.  BMRT is more powerful, but POV does a lot more
-- especially texture-wise -- right out of the box.

Also, it would be nice if POV implemented a shader language like BMRT.
Then you wouldn't have to keep adding to the code when a new type of
procedural texture has been created.
--
Jeff Garzik                             Fast and efficient news feeds
Spinne USENET News Service                 News tuning and consulting

Post by Matt Jone » Wed, 22 Oct 1997 04:00:00

>Does anyone have any suggestions for doing motion blur in POV?

>I compared POV and BMRT.  BMRT is more powerful, but POV does a lot more
>-- especially texture-wise -- right out of the box.

There are two ways that I know of to get two different motion blur
effects. The first is useful when trying to get the blurry look of a
photograph taken of a moving object, and involves averaging together
several images from an animation. You'd need an external program to do
this, and I don't know of any off hand, but I'm sure they exist. I wrote
a little script in MATLAB to do this for me, and I'd be glad to share it
but you'll need MATLAB to run it. I didn't particularly like the final
result, though. It was *too* blurry. You can probably toy around with
assigning different weights to different images when you average to get
better effects.

The second method was actually much better for the type of motion blur I
was really after, which was a sort of cartoonish image of a moving object
where the object is fully visible at the start and end of its motion
path, but in between those two locations you can see a lot of very faint
"ghosts" of the object at intermediate locations. This was for a
scientific visualization, so the idea was to "explain" the motion rather
than to capture some photorealistic effect. The method I used was simple:
define the object at the beginning and end locations normally. Then loop
through a series of definitions of the object at intermediate locations,
except for the intermediates I set the pigment{} to use a high degree of
transmitting transparency (e.g., pigment{rgbt <1, 0, 0, 0.9>). It came
out real nice. Because I have so many objects in the final scene, as well
as calling some image files for heightfields, I won't post it here. Email
me if you want the code, etc.

Cheers,

Matt

Motion blur (was Re: Recommendation for animator for POV frame output)

Post by Dugg » Thu, 23 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>There are two ways that I know of to get two different motion blur
>effects. The first is useful when trying to get the blurry look of a
>photograph taken of a moving object, and involves averaging together
>several images from an animation. You'd need an external program to do
>this, and I don't know of any off hand, but I'm sure they exist. I wrote

Dave's Targa Anmator, available off ftp.povray.org and mirror sites
can do this in still images or animation.

Maybe I'm wrong...

"Flames Gladly accepted for tyop's and speling error's"
"eschew obsfucation"