Query re PSP6

Post by dian » Sun, 19 Sep 1999 04:00:00

I have PSP5 and very happy with it, but am also keen to buy and install
PSP6. My question is can I run both versions on the one PC without
conflict. I would like to keep both seperate and swap between them. Is
that possible?

Regards  Diane

Query re PSP6

Post by Joel Schillin » Sun, 19 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Yes you can. When you install psp6 it will be installed into it's own
folder, it does not change your psp5 folder. On the install you have the
option to run the psp6 tube conversion to convert your psp5 tubes to psp6
format. Both versions can be run without a problem on the same computer.
                        Regards, Joel

> I have PSP5 and very happy with it, but am also keen to buy and install
> PSP6. My question is can I run both versions on the one PC without
> conflict. I would like to keep both seperate and swap between them. Is
> that possible?

> Regards  Diane

Query re PSP6

Post by Matt » Sun, 19 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> Yes you can. When you install psp6 it will be installed into it's own
> folder, it does not change your psp5 folder. On the install you have the
> option to run the psp6 tube conversion to convert your psp5 tubes to psp6
> format. Both versions can be run without a problem on the same computer.
>                         Regards, Joel

Also, just point PSP6 to your PSP5 plugin folder, that way you'll save disk
space.

--
Matt
PSP Terrorist, D'Lanok deCaresk Chapter.

"I always wanted to be a procrastinator, I just never got around to it."

Query re PSP6

Post by Bruce A. Bear » Sun, 19 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Hi Diane,

The answer to your question is yes! You can have both versions on your
system and they will work fine. In your Programs Folder you will have a
folder that says Paint Shop Pro 5 and one with Paint Shop Pro 6.

Bruce

> I have PSP5 and very happy with it, but am also keen to buy and install
> PSP6. My question is can I run both versions on the one PC without
> conflict. I would like to keep both seperate and swap between them. Is
> that possible?

> Regards  Diane

Query re PSP6

Post by Nightingai » Mon, 20 Sep 1999 04:00:00

I wouldn't recommend dumping 5 until you're absolutely sure
that you prefer
the way the text and fonts work with 6. There are some
significant
differences in that area, and many of us are keeping both
versions for that
reason.

My two cents ;-)
Nightingail

--
Nightingail's Gallery
http://members.tripod.com/~glenngail/index.html

Quote:> On Sat, 18 Sep 1999 22:40:23 +1000, diane

> >I have PSP5 and very happy with it, but am also keen to
buy and install
> >PSP6. My question is can I run both versions on the one
PC without
> >conflict. I would like to keep both seperate and swap
between them. Is
> >that possible?

> Yes no problem though after a few days of using 6 you'll
likely want
> to dump 5 to free up disk space<gr>.

> Ron

> *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
>         Visit Spike's PSP6 'toonin' page
> http://members.tripod.com/rjlacey/index.htm
> *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
>              Ron Lacey  Murillo Ont.
>              ron at lakehead dot net
> *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Query re PSP6

Post by Britt » Tue, 21 Sep 1999 04:00:00

> I can live without italized
> fonts quite easily particularly when you take into account the
> improved quality and versitility of the PSP6 text.  As well most of
> the high end apps, PhotoShop, Illustrator, Corel, have the same text
> limitations as PSP6.

PhotoShop 5.5 seems to have addressed this issue. I quote from a review:

"Photoshop 5.5 has a few little goodies that are
                              worthy of mention. Remember in Photoshop 4
                              that you could add bold or italics to
fonts that
                              didn't actually have those attributes?
That handy
                              little feature went bye-bye in Photoshop
5. Well
                              it's back in 5.5. There's also a new
feature called
                              "Fractional Widths," which improves the
visual
                              quality of small type sizes by making them
                              cleaner and better-spaced."
[from:
http://webreview.com/pub/1999/09/17/feature/index2.html?wwwrrr_199909...]

I got the impression from the beta NG that re-introducing the synthetic
font variants (with the text now being vector-based) would be very
awkward - so the question is, I suppose, how badly we want/need it? Like
Gail said, most people who have version 5 and want that font feature are
likely to hang on to 5. What about new users of PSP, though? And how
much does this feature (and the time/money it would cost to develop)
weigh as against other new or improvable features?
Boy, I just notice - I'm getting carried away here ... I'll stop now.
Too many questions ...

--
Cheers :)
Britta :)

Query re PSP6

Post by Britt » Tue, 21 Sep 1999 04:00:00

> You're quite right, I upgraded to PS5.5 a while back and never noticed
> the "faux" font option until you pointed it.

Ron, I just happened across this review today, and I just wondered how
much programming Adobe had to put into restoring those synthetic font
options ...

Since you have PS5.5, could you perhaps also comment on the other new
features discussed there that really intrigued me: the Background eraser
tool and the 'Extract Image' command. I couldn't quite understand from
the description how the Extract function worked and what it actually
does that's so different from the usual selection and copy/cut/delete.
They *sounded* like they might be really useful and a timesaver ...

Post by Ronald Vi » Tue, 21 Sep 1999 04:00:00

>> I can live without italized
>> fonts quite easily particularly when you take into account the
>> improved quality and versitility of the PSP6 text.  As well most of
>> the high end apps, PhotoShop, Illustrator, Corel, have the same text
>> limitations as PSP6.

>PhotoShop 5.5 seems to have addressed this issue. I quote from a review:

>"Photoshop 5.5 has a few little goodies that are
>                              worthy of mention. Remember in Photoshop 4
>                              that you could add bold or italics to
>fonts that
>                              didn't actually have those attributes?
>That handy
>                              little feature went bye-bye in Photoshop
>5. Well
>                              it's back in 5.5. There's also a new
>feature called
>                              "Fractional Widths," which improves the
>visual
>                              quality of small type sizes by making them
>                              cleaner and better-spaced."
>[from:
>http://webreview.com/pub/1999/09/17/feature/index2.html?wwwrrr_199909...]

>I got the impression from the beta NG that re-introducing the synthetic
>font variants (with the text now being vector-based) would be very
>awkward - so the question is, I suppose, how badly we want/need it? Like
>Gail said, most people who have version 5 and want that font feature are
>likely to hang on to 5. What about new users of PSP, though? And how
>much does this feature (and the time/money it would cost to develop)
>weigh as against other new or improvable features?
>Boy, I just notice - I'm getting carried away here ... I'll stop now.
>Too many questions ...

>--
>Cheers :)
>Britta :)
>Email: britta-at-janus-dot-findhere-dot-com

Just treat the text as vectored information and warp it to the left or right.
(Shift + top center box & drag.)

Incidently, converting text to curves and changing the text properties to
Stroked makes a really great outlined text.

Ever had a desire to do the Star Wars intro type perspective text?  Ctrl and
drag a corner box!

Rotated text?  Just grab the arrow in the center of the section box and drag
it to the angle you want.

Love those vector operations!

Ron
PSP terrorist-  D'Lan de Caresk Chapter - Executive Officer
Please read the FAQ at http://www.alphageo.com/psp/faq.html

Query re PSP6

Post by Tim Hitching » Tue, 21 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> functions including a handy little utility that will automatically
> generate thumbnails and create a html file showing the thumbnails and
> linking them to the original images.

Where?

1. PSP6: JASC query - Vector selection

I'm a little confused as to the best way to do an old PSP5 sequence.

In PSP5 you would enter text, then apply your various text effects
immediately while the text was still selected.

Now, if the text is loaded as a vector, what is the correct sequence to
end up with the text as raster and selected?

--
Simon Q. Walden

http://www.c2000.com/psp  Digital Imaging Tips and Tricks
http://www.c2000.com/arts Arts Digitalis Gallery

2. Vertical Field Of View (FOV)

3. Upgrade from PSP6 to PSP6.1

4. FS: Sony Videodisc Recording System

5. PSP6 and fonts question?

6. Trobles with the selection in BCB (select.c from theredbook)

7. Can I have font with different edge colour (PSP6)

8. JPG to PNG transparency - PSP6.02

9. PSP6.0 -- Units of measure

10. Scan a signature in PSP6

11. Can't print - PSP6.02 (full bought version)

12. Can't open PSP7 file with PSP6.02