EPSF pics leaving tails...

Post by Annie Fett » Fri, 02 Mar 1990 16:10:00

I am doing DTP in Ready, Set, Go! 4.0a.  I use Cricket Draw 1.1.1 to do all the
drawings, then transfer them to RSG in EPSF (Encapsulated PostScript Form). We
have encountered a problem with this (though not severe, it's a pain in the
*ss).

All the drawings are of various polyhedra.  They are done to perfection in
Cricket Draw (all the lines connect where they should, and are perfect when
printed in Cricket Draw form).  However, when transferred to RSG, many of them
develop tails - small lines extending from some of the vertices.  I have tried
resaving in EPSF and other similar quick-fixes, but nothing has worked.

We are planning to publish our materials (high school geometry workbooks) and
really need a perfect product.  I'm not real thrilled about the prospect of
going through all our stuff with white-out.

Anyone got any ideas?  Anyone else have similar problems?

FYI, Mac II with 2 meg, System 6.0.2, Cricket Draw 1.1.1, RSG 4.0a.

Thanks!
        -annie

--

    Swarthmore College        |  ...!rutgers!bpa!swatsun!annie  |   Use Only
   Swarthmore, PA 19081       |         (215) 328-8225          |

EPSF pics leaving tails...

Post by Alexander L » Sat, 03 Mar 1990 00:03:00

[I tried to mail, but it bounced on me due to the idiocy of some
Stanford computer...]

>All the drawings are of various polyhedra.  They are done to perfection in
>Cricket Draw (all the lines connect where they should, and are perfect when
>printed in Cricket Draw form).  However, when transferred to RSG, many of them
>develop tails - small lines extending from some of the vertices.  I have tried
>resaving in EPSF and other similar quick-fixes, but nothing has worked.

>We are planning to publish our materials (high school geometry workbooks) and
>really need a perfect product.  I'm not real thrilled about the prospect of
>going through all our stuff with white-out.

>Anyone got any ideas?  Anyone else have similar problems?

>FYI, Mac II with 2 meg, System 6.0.2, Cricket Draw 1.1.1, RSG 4.0a.

>Thanks!

Try going back in Cricket Draw and Ungrouping all your objects.
If that doesn't work, save your file as PICT.  If that doesn't work,
then try using Aldus Freehand or Adobe Illustrator.

Reasons: any picture will have problems printing if the objects are
grouped in any way at all.  Also, the Mac has pretensions of being a
truly WYSIWYG (What-You-See-Is-What-You-Get) computer, but it really
isn't.  And it is hard to be WYSIWYG when your computer uses one
imaging language (QuickDraw) while you printer uses another
(PostScript).  Since a PICT file is more or less pure QuickDraw, it
can eliminate part of the translation problem and leave the translation
to the LaserWriter driver rather than to Cricket Draw.  Also,
Illustrator and Freehand probably have better algorithms for saving as
EPSF than Cricket Draw does.  Adobe created EPSF; Aldus is one of its
biggest supporters (PageMaker made EPSF the standard it is).

--- Alex
UUCP: {att,backbones}!ucbvax!qal.berkeley.edu!lauac

EPSF pics leaving tails...

Post by Shirley Ke » Fri, 02 Mar 1990 16:40:00

<All the drawings are of various polyhedra.  They are done to perfection in
<Cricket Draw (all the lines connect where they should, and are perfect when
<printed in Cricket Draw form).  However, when transferred to RSG, many of them
<develop tails - small lines extending from some of the vertices.  I have tried
<resaving in EPSF and other similar quick-fixes, but nothing has worked.

<Anyone got any ideas?  Anyone else have similar problems?

That's interesting. My boss complained about a similar thing that happened
in my drawings. Once the Canvas drawing was imported into Word and printed,
it looked like I had plunked an arrowhead on a line and done a sloppy job
so that the line stuck out past the arrowhead.

I'm not sure at what point this occurred, but maybe there is something
about moving graphics into another application that is common to both
of these environments.

Shirley Kehr

EPSF pics leaving tails...

Post by Jack Ritt » Fri, 02 Mar 1990 23:03:00

> My guess is that the "miter limit" in the graphics state is somehow not
> being preserved.  The miter limit controls how far the point should be
> drawn past a corner when two line segments meet at a severe angle.  See
> the PostScript Language Reference Manual for more details.

      ~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~

I recently implemented joint styles for our graphics package.
For mitered joints, I limit the extension point to be N (currently 2)
line widths away from the lines' corner (eg, min angle). This has the effect
of filing down overly sharp joints to duller, shorter ones. I suggest that
this looks better than simply reverting to beveled, as it says in
the PS Manual (at least the version I read).

--
              ->  Even aliens think The Three Stooges are funny.  <-
   Jack Ritter, S/W Eng. Versatec, 2710 Walsh Av, Santa Clara, CA 95051

1. EPS/.eps or EPSF/.epsf

Is there a meaningful distinction between EPS or EPSF as file types?

More important, is there a meaningful distinction, or recommended
choice, between .eps and .epsf as file name suffixes?

-----
"Power tends to corrupt.  Absolute power corrupts absolutely."
    Lord Acton (1834-1902) (slightly modified)
"Dependence on advertising tends to corrupt.  Total dependence
    on advertising  corrupts totally." -- Modern equivalent.

2. Render farms

3. History of Top-Left vs Bottom-Left coordinate origin

4. looking for 3D software

5. Flatten Pics eg. PIcs of Faces

6. advice to student on VR

7. = Tear-Drop Blob w/Curved Tail? =

8. email client dialog box?!

9. The Tail of the Moose

10. 45 degree Tails with cursor using tablet - fixed

11. animated tail?

12. I need help with my Particle Comet Tail

13. MAX 2 - comet tail tribulations