Digitized pictures from a Canon Ion camera

Digitized pictures from a Canon Ion camera

Post by Danny Clar » Fri, 08 Jul 1994 21:57:39

My wife is a Primary school teacher, and they have recently aquired a Canon
Ion (digital still video) camera for use with their Acorn Archimedes computers.
The set-up they have is the camera, the video output of which goes into a
digitizer which is connected to the machine's expansion port. They are running
some (pretty basic) digitizing software, and getting less than brilliant
results.

The problem I have is that this system seems to me fundamentally flawed. The
camera is digitizing an image, then it is being piped down the cable as analog
video only to be digitized again. If the information could be transferred from
the camera to the computer digitally the results would be infinitely better.

I have also seen a 'kit' for PC or Mac, consisting of the camera, a card to
plug into the computer and associated software. I have not been able to
determine whether the card is simply a digitizer (ie ther same set-up as with
the Archimedes), or some interface allowing digital transfer of the information
from the camera. A third option is that it somehow allows the computer to
access the 2" floppy disks, either by providing a disk drive or using the drive
in the camera.

Can anybody shed any light on how these systems work? Are they re-digitizing a
video signal or is there a better way of doing things? Any info, suggestions or
references gratefully received!

Danny.

Thanks,

Post by Daniel Pe » Fri, 08 Jul 1994 22:39:30

> The problem I have is that this system seems to me fundamentally flawed. The
> camera is digitizing an image, then it is being piped down the cable as analog
> video only to be digitized again. If the information could be transferred from
> the camera to the computer digitally the results would be infinitely better.

As far as I know, the Canon ion is NOT a digital camera -
although it uses "discs" it records on these in analogue format.  This
is
different to other "digital" cameras like the Logitech one and those
megabuck digital camera backs.

If the digitiser has a S-Video input then this may give slightly better
pictures than the normal composite port.

---------------------------------
Daniel Pead
Shell Centre for Maths Education
Nottingham University

1. >Digitized pictures from a Canon Ion camera

It can't.

The Canon Still Video camera does convert the image captured by its CCD to
an analog VHS video frame.  It stores this frame in analog format on a small
floppy disk.  When you capture the image with a digitizing board such as Targa
or equivalent you are resampling the image.

Some cameras do store images as digital files directly.  The Logitec Fotoman
and Dycam Model 3 (really the same camera) store images as low resolution
grayscale images.  These cameras connect to your computer through the serial
port.  The resolution is about 490 x 360 and the cost is about $700 CA.

The Kodak DCS 200 captures higher resolution color images ( 1524 x 1024 ) and
sends them to you computer through a SCSI port.  The cost is about $10,000 CA.

The new Apple camera falls somewhere between these two, uses color and costs
less.  I believe the Apple camera will also connect to IBM PCs.

I would not recommend any Still Video Camera, unless you have an application
which involves producing or editing a video format output.  You could also
consider shooting 35mm film, transfering it to PhotoCD, and reading the images
with a CD-ROM drive.  The resolution and colors are quite good.

Product Plug:
  All the previously mentioned cameras + PhotoCD can be used with our
  PhotoModeler Software, to produce 3D models using photographs.
End of Plug:

--

2. Problems with SoTransform.rotation.setValue

3. Canon Digital Cameras- Compare Latest Canon Digital Camera Prices

4. How do I cite SIGGRAPH panel sessions?

5. Canon ION-PC etc.

6. outline of a graphic

7. Canon Ion Drivers Found!!!

8. Group 3 or 4 TIFF compression

9. Canon ION : do you know...

10. Can't export finished iMovie to Camera (Canon Optura Pi)

11. FS:Canon Video Still Camera

12. Need info: Canon RC-250 Camera

13. Help: how to control a Canon VCC1 MKII Camera via SGI Indy machine